IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Letter of Claim Recieved- BW Legal

Options

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Can you post the letter on here. Use a hosting service such as tinypic or imgur and post the URL. You should be able to post links but if not just post a broken link or use hxxp(s) instead of http(s) and someone will fix it for you.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2018 at 6:19PM
    Options
    At the time I emailed an appeal (naively)- I wasn't driving and I wasn't the registered keeper.
    That's good.

You should reply to the LBC saying VERY CLEARLY at the start, that you were neither the driver nor the keeper of the car, just a passenger and happen to be the person in the family who is the main letter-writer.

But as you were neither driver nor keeper, PPS have no cause of action.

Then you can continue with this case law, plagiarised from a version written by (solicitor regular poster) LOC123 re another case:
    Your client must now be informed by BW Legal that it cannot succeed in its planned claim against me.

I refer you and your client to the following case law - and in case you have skim-read up to this point, I suggest you/your client re-read what I have just explained above, so there can be no doubt that you have the wrong Defendant in your sights and need to take your hand off the trigger of your scatter-gun:

1. Webb Resolutions Ltd v Waller Needham & Green [2012] EWHC 3529 (Ch): in which the court reiterated that the aim of the pre-action requirements was to enable an early exchange of information so that a potential claim could be fully investigated and, if possible, resolved without the need for costly litigation. Not only did the successful Claimant not recover its costs, it was ordered to pay the Defendant's. This case clearly demonstrates that litigation should be a last resort.

2. Daejan Investments Limited v The Park West Club Limited (Part 20); Buxton Associates [2003] EWHC 2872: in which the court made a punitive costs order against the Claimant because it had not complied with the Practice Direction.

Your attention is drawn to the following paragraphs of the judgment:

Paragraph 11: ''It is abundantly clear to me that [...] this is not a series of allegations that had been properly or thoroughly investigated until [...].'' {after proceedings had been issued}.

Paragraph 14: ''...the object of the protocol is [...] to get people to put their cards on the table and to honestly and rationally discuss matters. To that end meetings are provided for, and there is a requirement [...] which prescribes that there should be a rational and sensible response; the protocol provides the framework for a sensible discussion, or the chance for a sensible discussion so that the option is available to a party to avoid the need for litigation.''

3. Charles Church Developments Ltd v Stent Foundations Limited & Peter Dann Limited [2007] EWHC 855:

This case confirmed that the purpose of the pre-action obligations imposed by the Practice Direction were so that parties could make a real attempt to resolve matters at an early stage. In the case, the Defendant was awarded costs arising from the Claimant's failure to comply with the Practice Direction, and your attention is drawn to paragraph 46 of the judgment, in which the punitive costs order was justified by the ''exchange of information taking place, not in the lower-cost atmosphere of pre-action protocol procedure, but in the higher-cost atmosphere of court proceedings.''
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • zoe_h2004
    zoe_h2004 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I think I may have confused you Coupon-mad. In my original appeal, I used the following sentence....

"I am extremely annoyed to discover that an member of your staff has issued my car with the following ticket when we had paid the full amount and the tickets were clearly displayed on the dashboard"

It was my boyfriends car and he was the driver, by using the sentence above have I lost all ability to say the claim doesn't belong to be?

I will try attach letter now.
  • zoe_h2004
    Options
    mayyb8.jpg
    30t0uiw.jpg
    ddgxzd.jpg
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    as well as the by law aspect ,what date was the ticket issued?
  • zoe_h2004
    Options
    13th December 2012.

What do you mean by by law please?
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zoe_h2004 wrote: »
    13th December 2012.

What do you mean by by law please?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74511821&postcount=4

if the land comes under bylaws then only the land OWNER can bring charges , in a magistrates court and within 6 mths of the offence
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They are asking for £160 but the debt does not carry
    that amount .... it's £100

They are adding on a debt collectors fee which BWL
    hide it as an admin fee

Were the debt collectors DRP ???

The estimate shows this as legal fees
    and .... £44.45 interest ????

At a nominal 8% p.a. possibly allowed by
    the court that's £8 a year on £100

How long has this been going on for ???

BWLegal forget that this is small claims
    stuff and NOT RIP OFF BRITAIN

Serious questions need to be directed
    to BWL when you reply. You must reply

No need to use their income form, it's
    none of their business, you never provide
    personal data to anyone regardless what
    they call themselves

IMPORTANT: DID YOU RECEIVE LETTERS
    FROM DRP (DEBT RECOVERY PLUS)
  • zoe_h2004
    Options
    I do not have any letters or remember receiving any correspondence. I think that I may have binned the stuff a while ago after I split up with my ex as I figured it was his problem and it had gone away seen as I hadn't heard anything for years. Equally I may never have received any letters. This is my problem- I cannot see how I fight this without seeing all the info that they have on the case. Plus I cannot afford the risk of a CCJ as im about to get a mortgage. I need to be certain that I can put this to bed.

I also believe we showed both tickets on the windscreen, but cant be 100% certain. I am 100% certain that the correct amount was paid and we didn't exceed the time. If both of these statements are true then I have no idea how they can even claim that the parking ticket still stands. But I would need photo evidence from the parking warden.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Plus I cannot afford the risk of a CCJ as im about to get a mortgage.
    You are in no danger of a CCJ. Read this:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5849106
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport