Replacement Mobile - Option...

Options
cloud_dog
cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
Ok so, I am looking to replace the OHs mobile. Have always been a fan of the Moto G but this time I am aware of specific requirements I need to try to accommodate.

My wife has come to the conclusion that the important aspects for her are the:
  1. Camera
  2. Size
So requirements for camera are aperture of f1.7 or better. Mega pixel size is not as critical. Size 5", possibly sell her on a 5.5" if needed.

I know the new Moto G6 camera has an aperture of f1.8 (so in the ball park) but it is 5.7" in size. Also from reviews I repeatedly see comments around the speed of the camera to focus (half second etc).

Samsung tend to use better cameras or certainly their cameras have better apertures (f1.7, latest phone being f1.6).

I started looking at the new Samsung Galaxy A8 which sort of fits the bill but phone size is on the larger side and whilst the aperture is f1.7 it doesn't have OIS; which would be nice.

Have looked at trying to get a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (size 5.5) with a f17 and has OIS but... here is the drag... For obvious reasons it is difficult (impossible) to get a new one of these and a lot of the Amazon or eBay marketplace sellers leave a lot to be desired wrt the quality of what they potentially supply.

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the Techie forum but any thoughts on alternatives or recommended sellers would be welcome.
Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What problems are you having with getting hold of an S7/S7 Edge? They are certainly still widely advertised. I'm slightly surprised by how expensive they still are.

I have an S6, and find that to be pretty good (but that definitely is no longer available new).
  • cloud_dog
    Options
    Hi

They are widely advertised and available but I have little confidence in the sellers too many reports of chinese replicas, or US / far east versions which do not work in the UK, or simply wrong phones or faulty phones being delivered.

• Cornucopia
    Options
    You don't want a new one?
  • cloud_dog
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    You don't want a new one?
    Yes, I'd love a new one but I have not been able to find an unlocked real new one. If you have any links I'd be more than interested.

• Cornucopia
    Options
    Argos?

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5177361

They have the Edge also, but seem to be either Refurb or unfashionable colours.
  • cloud_dog
    edited 5 July 2018 at 11:36PM
    Options
    It is the Edge version I am looking for.

Unfortunately their S7 Edge option (£599.95) is pretty damn expensive, as you could get a new S9, with appropriate trade in, approaching that price (ignoring the size consideration I am trying to work within).

Perhaps I will reduce my focus from the Edge to the standard S7. From a camera perspective I loose nothing and the size is back around the ideal 5" (5.1"). Smaller battery than the Edge but I may very well need to compromise somewhere.

EDIT: Just spotted LaptopsDirect offering what appears to be pucka European spec (correct model number) S7 Edge for £425. Was hoping for something closer to £350 but beggars cannot be choosers. They also have a standard S7 for £370.

• mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Amazon have it in stock but its dearer at £481. I'd rather pay more and make sure I get the correct model as opposed to buying from a third party seller.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Edge-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B01C5OIINO
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    If the retail price is that high, it might be the case that a monthly contract could be cheaper (or at least spread the cost).
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It might also be worth having a look at the likes of GiffGaff etc too.

My friend's OH treated him to an S7 Edge earlier on in the year and it was good as new.

Obviously depending on the condition of the handset prices vary.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • cloud_dog
    Options
    mac.d wrote: »
    Amazon have it in stock but its dearer at £481. I'd rather pay more and make sure I get the correct model as opposed to buying from a third party seller.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Edge-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B01C5OIINO
    Problem is that this is not sold by Amazon or Samsung, it is sold by MACnificent.

I do not have a lot of confidence in purchasing a new phone via these marketplace merchants, and if it is it is likely to be a non-Euro phone (usually US, or other mid/far east countries).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family