Has anyone re invented their life?

Comments

• I always try to motivate myself by seeing only the positive things and make myself believe that nothing is impossible in this world.
    Whenever I feel depressed I just do the stuff in which I feel comfortable.
  • Currently in the process, I have quit my nursing career after twenty plus years, and I am doing a degree in a whole new area and loving it. Best decision I ever made, will never return to nursing.

A few years ago I lost my first husband suddenly, at a young age to cancer, so now I definitely see life as short and like to make the best of it. I am in a relationship with someone new, and moved house to a whole new area as well.

Currently giving up alcohol as I have got into the habit of sipping a glass or two four times a week, far to much! So getting healthy, losing weight etc is my next goal. Nursing and shift work really got me into some bad eating and drinking habits I now need to break, hope to lose a stone in weight and tone up. Harder now i!!!8217;m In my early forties.
  • I'd love to re-invent mine, I get geared up to make lots of big changes and then lose steam..

One day :)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    SSDD23 wrote: »
    I'd love to re-invent mine, I get geared up to make lots of big changes and then lose steam..

One day :)

Try making little changes to start with. Think of it as moving away from where you are now, and slowly towards where you want to be.

It can be scary to make one big massive leap of faith, there are a lot of 'what if it doesn't work out' feelings. One day something will go ping in your head, and you will know it's time to take the first step.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ilona wrote: »
    Try making little changes to start with. Think of it as moving away from where you are now, and slowly towards where you want to be.

It can be scary to make one big massive leap of faith, there are a lot of 'what if it doesn't work out' feelings. One day something will go ping in your head, and you will know it's time to take the first step.

ilona

Wise words.

It becomes easier as you grow in confidence. You realise that one decision was right and that makes the next one a little less hard etc. After reliving my youth I made two major decisions that were pretty irreversible. Giving up work at 55 and moving away from what I knew and where many of my friends were. And both turned out to be spot on. Now I am much more confident because of going through that.

I think, sometimes, it's hard to change something that is just okay. My marriage wasn't awful - we got along pretty well, no money worries but we led very separate lives. I didn't really want to be there but there was no major reason to leave. In the end my ex initiated the split (actually because she thought someone else was interested in her - which turned out not to be so) - if she hadn't we may well still be in the same rut! We sat down had an honest chat and agreed to go our separate ways.

It turned out well for both of us and we remain good friends even though we are in different parts of the country. Probably something that should have happened 5-10 years earlier
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Some very interesting stories here, thank you for sharing them and showing it is possible to come across a hurdle in life but learn and change your life.

Funnily enough I'm just starting to re-invent my life, in a fashion.

Nearly 15 years ago I went through a very traumatic, life-changing event which I won't disclose on here for a couple of reasons but needless to say it's defined me ever since.

After my last job I went onto work at night to avoid people, other than my colleagues, because being around a lot of people made me very stressed out and at times I could be out shopping somewhere busy...I just had visions of either smashing the shop up or sitting down on the floor and bursting into tears.

A few weeks ago someone from the day team left and I've been interested in developing a career in management for a while; it's harder at night as we have to cope with big deliveries, being short staffed etc so I've not really had the chance to progress.

So I've made the plunge and have started working during the daytime. There have been some triggers linked to 15 years ago but when that's been the case I've walked out into the back for five minutes and chilled out before starting again.

It's early days yet but I'm hoping, whatever the outcome of my experience, I can move on and stop dwelling on the past. The managers in my shop have a meeting on Monday for a few hours; whilst I won't be in 'charge' so to speak they've asked me if I'll "step up" and look at the bigger picture which is both nerve-wracking and exciting at the same time.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • neneromanova
    neneromanova Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We're in the process of moving to Canada to try something new. Scary stuff but hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.
    What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine..
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    20aday wrote: »

Funnily enough I'm just starting to re-invent my life, in a fashion.

Nearly 15 years ago I went through a very traumatic, life-changing event

After my last job I went onto work at night to avoid people, other than my colleagues, because being around a lot of people made me very stressed out

So I've made the plunge and have started working during the daytime.

It's early days yet but I'm hoping, whatever the outcome of my experience, I can move on and stop dwelling on the past.

You are a different person now to what you were 15 years ago. I was in a destructive relationship about 18 years ago, my confidence was shattered, I managed to get out of it. I forced myself to meet new people and my confidence returned. I have promised myself I will never get in that situation again, and now life is rosy.

I wish you well, take one step at a time, think about where you want to be rather than where you were.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Yes I have, it's taken hard work to get to this point. Nothing in my life is the same as it was 5 years ago. I had a rubbish job, a relationship that just kinda drifted and debts. Now I have a degree, a much better, more interesting job, a better relationship with a different person and I'm not like I used to be.

I put myself first now. Yes, I think of my parter and what will make him happy but that isn't my only thought anymore. I will not do something that is a major detriment to myself to make someone else happy.
  • ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    After years in the Travel Industry(Low pay but opportunity to travel at least once a month), I found a safe solid career with good prospects, 3 years on I found myself in a rut . Visiting North Cyprus for the first time,I pictured myself living there, 6 months later , I quit my job , sold up and moved here, huge change of lifestyle/ Gone are the flash cars, shopping splurges etc but I am content and somewhat Ironically I am back in the Travel Industry(pay is still crap , but the commute is to die for :) )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure