PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    Grapes & a bit of cheese with a glass of red would my choice:D

Grapes and cheese it was, decided no wine as work tomorrow :(
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Brambling wrote: »
    Grapes and cheese it was, decided no wine as work tomorrow :(
    For me that's one of the pluses of earlier than planned retirement - no more "school nights".....;)
  • caronc
    Good morning everyone,

It's still raining......:(
    I've admin bits to sort out including yet another phone call to my Building Society who have mucked up my online account and only half fixed it:mad:.
    Halloumi skewers for dinner tonight, I'm still swithering about making soup for lunch.
  • Leftovers for lunch and dinner today - but never mind....just accepted an invite out for a meal later this week:)

Thinks.....can't recall ever turning down an invite for a meal out yet LOL. Anyone would think I hated cooking - which I don't....
  • caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    It's a quiet wee thread today must be 'cos Farway is on his holidays ;)!
    MTSTM - I don't equate eating out with not liking cooking - just shows an overall appreciation of food to me. Hope you are going somewhere nice:).
    The rain finally eased late afternoon and I had a foray into the garden. Picked about 11/2 lbs of brambles, 3 cucumbers and I reckon 3lbs of tomatoes. :D Quite a few of the tomatoes have split which I think must be done to the very hot temperatures recently. I'll sort through them and get any split ones roasted this evening while I'm baking the halloumi skewers. There's more beans ready but I'll pick them tomorrow as I not planning on using any tonight.
    I didn't make soup in the end as I spent nearly an hour on the phone to the Building Society:eek:, lunch ended up being a toasted corned beef & pickle sandwich, rather a lot of cherry tomatoes and a cupasoup. Halloumi & assorted veg are marinating so just need popping on skewers so won't take long to prep tonight. I'll toast a Greek pitta and make a yoghurt dip with the pan juices & some natural yoghurt which should go nicely with the skewers.
  • Brambling
    Evening :)

I enjoy eating out as it's not just about the food but the company :) having said that I object spending a lot if money on something I could cook better myself at home.

Typical Monday brain, I left my coleslaw and pita on the work top this morning with my fruit. So lunch was small steak salad :cool:. Dinner was courgette and rice filo pie I halved the recipe and cut back on the filo as I'm trying to be good :D I also made a spinach ricotta filo pie with toasted pine nuts which I froze uncooked. I've cooked the filling for Indian potato pie I haven't made the pie yet as I want to freeze the other one flat first before rejigging the freezer :eek: not sure about the filling as it seems a little dry but it was only an experiment so not one to cook when I have company. All were half of the recipes, I've now just sat down with a cuppa a cat cuddle and catch my breath :D
  • caronc
    Sounds like a very productive evening Brambling:D.
    I love spinach & ricotta in filo (in fact in most anything). Reckon the dryer potato pie would work well with some Indian chutneys or raita:)
    Did you enjoy the filo, rice, courgette pie? I thought it was defintely a "keeper".
  • Brambling
    caronc wrote: »
    Sounds like a very productive evening Brambling:D.
    I love spinach & ricotta in filo (in fact in most anything). Reckon the dryer potato pie would work well with some Indian chutneys or raita:)
    Did you enjoy the filo, rice, courgette pie? I thought it was defintely a "keeper".

I've got some mango chutney, so when I cook the Indian pie it I'll remember your tip re raita as well :D.

It was a toss up between filo pie or lasagna with the spinach but I really needed to use up the filo so pie it was. I often make the filo triangles using feta rather than ricotta, one of my sister comes to stay around her birthday in Oct so it will be ideal to cook quickly after we've been out for the day.

I enjoyed the courgette pie too :) I agree about it being a keeper so quick and easy as well, I'll thank my colleague tomorrow for the recipe recommendation she tell me I should invest in Hugh's book :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I had a portion of chilli/rice. Then I had two bits of toast topped with chocolate spread. That's been it for today.

The phrase "eating out" means different things to different people. I've never been to "a smart restaurant" ever... where "smart" could even mean something like TGI Fridays or Nandos :) I really doubt I ever will go to a "posh place", especially as food served becomes further and further away from anything I'd like. All this modern stuff's not to my liking.

2-3x a year I'll have a £6 pub meal of fish/chips or pie/chips - that's "eating out" to me. I pushed the boat out a couple of months back and had a £9 Sunday roast dinner while I was away ... that was nice enough ... I prefer carveries though where you can pick what you want and where it is on the plate.
  • caronc
    Brambling wrote: »
    I've got some mango chutney, so when I cook the Indian pie it I'll remember your tip re raita as well :D.

It was a toss up between filo pie or lasagna with the spinach but I really needed to use up the filo so pie it was. I often make the filo triangles using feta rather than ricotta, one of my sister comes to stay around her birthday in Oct so it will be ideal to cook quickly after we've been out for the day.

I enjoyed the courgette pie too :) I agree about it being a keeper so quick and easy as well, I'll thank my colleague tomorrow for the recipe recommendation she tell me I should invest in Hugh's book :)
    I'd second the investment in the "Every Day Veg" book, I like HFW recipes- very forgiving if (like me) you like to tweak things. My favourite "Hugh" book is "River Cottage Every Day" (that one's pretty smudged and tattered) especially for the "baked chicken curry" which is truly fab:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback