Project Solar - am I getting ripped off? HELP!!

Options

Comments

• dan318064
    dan318064 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    A MASSIVE thank you to everyone that replied, sorry I've been far away from wifi so have only just picked up all your replies.

Wow! That is a resounding NO, No, NO! I'm taking all your advice and spending a lot less than 5K on a extra long barrage pole.

A bit of research is the right direction. I'm gobsmacked by how brilliant and helpful it has been posting on here and thanks for all the advice.

I'll DM you hollie.wei, it'd be rally interesting to have a comparison.

Any other recommendations about who to consider going with would be really useful.

Thanks again everyone.

Dan
  • Crowmann
    Crowmann Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    OP

Your first post was a little light on the detail around what battery storage (I assume that was included) but allow me to caution you around the 'arm chair' estimators on here who would have you beleive installs are routinely £1000 a Kv. They are not.

My experience is prices have flat lined since mid 2016 and to some extent gone up.

Decent firm, basic system 4Kw, nothing fancy is still £5k.

Batteries - forget them at the current numbers unless they move - ie Nissan Leaf or similar
    16 265w panels South facing, 45 degrees, West Norfolk.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 June 2018 at 7:17AM
    Options
    Crowmann wrote: »
    OP

Your first post was a little light on the detail around what battery storage (I assume that was included) but allow me to caution you around the 'arm chair' estimators on here who would have you beleive installs are routinely £1000 a Kv. They are not.

My experience is prices have flat lined since mid 2016 and to some extent gone up.

Decent firm, basic system 4Kw, nothing fancy is still £5k.

Batteries - forget them at the current numbers unless they move - ie Nissan Leaf or similar

@Dan. Just to warn you, many threads get one of these posts now, despite being proven wrong time and again.

Here is a recent example post #6 (5/5/18) which was immediately 'destroyed' by post #14 (10/5/18) from the OP/new PV'er:

Opinions on this PV

So you will note that 'the arm chair estimators' are often very new PV'ers who've had installs in the last year or so, plus the rest of us, who chat with such folk. Not everyone will find an excellent deal, but don't be put off looking for a good deal by false claims.

BTW, since that thread, the average install price for a 5kWp system in Australia is now just under £3k .... astonishing.

Happy hunting.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Crowmann
    Options
    Martyn

The competition within the market is low - sure you can buy the kit for less and yes you can cobble together a roofer and a sparky for the install but the MCS bit makes it tricky on sign off.

I deal with PV at the 200kw plus install end of the market and I simply do not hear the cost reductions you and others talk of with domestic sized systems.

Maybe I am wrong but even looking through the posts on here with peeps spending a lot of time getting quotes they seem to be struggling to get to £1k per Kw when using the cheapest component options on what sould like simple installs.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 30 June 2018 at 10:33AM
    Options
    Martyn

Maybe I am wrong but even looking through the posts on here with peeps spending a lot of time getting quotes they seem to be struggling to get to £1k per Kw when using the cheapest component options on what sould like simple installs.

Hiya, a few things there. You've been popping a similar post/claim on many threads for a year or more. Each time others point out you are wrong, and we see quotes showing you are wrong.

Not talking about £1k per kWp here, that is something that some on here have approached with 6, 7 or higher kWp's and that seems doable since panels, rails and fixings are probably now around £500/kWp.

We have seen quotes get into the low £4k's for 4kWp in the past, but the massive reduction in the UK PV install industry has pushed prices back up, but sub £6k for a ~4kWp install is still doable, as shown just days after your last claim to the contrary, confirming that £5k is a reasonable target to bear in mind (depending on local issues such as London prices).

Repeatedly calling the PV'ers on here, who are trying to share knowledge and advice "'arm chair' estimators", is odd and dare I say false, since we all have PV, we have all therefore had PV quotes and prices, we all follow the threads and ups and downs in quotes, and many of those 'arm chair' estimators are actually the new blood of PV'ers on here helping to share their recent knowledge, experience and prices with other newbies.

Perhaps you haven't gone back to the threads on which you keep making these statements to read the replies and later posts?
    allow me to caution you around the 'arm chair' estimators on here who would have you beleive installs are routinely £1000 a Kv. They are not.

Routinely £1000 a kWp? Do we?

Martyn

The competition within the market is low - sure you can buy the kit for less and yes you can cobble together a roofer and a sparky for the install but the MCS bit makes it tricky on sign off.

Where have I ever suggested doing this? If you are referring to my Aussie links, then those are installed prices, not kit prices.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Crowmann
    Options
    Nice post - but I beg to differ.

However I will post no more on pricing and leave it to the 'experts' who clearly no more than me. :rotfl:
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Nice post - but I beg to differ.

Different opinions make for more interesting discussions, and that's why many people offering differing opinions to your repeated claims each time, and actual results that differ from your repeated claims each time, also make for interesting reading, so long as they are read.
    However I will post no more on pricing and leave it to the 'experts' who clearly no more than me. :rotfl:

I don't think any of us have ever claimed to be experts, we simply share real information in the face of repeated and unsubstantiated claims.

Similarly, I don't think any of us are 'arm chair' estimators, since that implies we don't have any experience of actual PV installs ourselves, or that our knowledge isn't kept updated by the information on more recent installs and prices acquired by reading that shared by other and newer PV'ers.

If you think about it, you might also be learning from such discussions - two months ago you stated that 'arm chair estimators' were wrong about prices falling, and claimed that £6k (for tiles) and nearer £7k (for slate) was an acceptable target price, but yesterday you revised that figure down to £5k.

Now, personally, I fully accept that the very lowest price might not be a good job, and that just because one of us has gotten a great deal recently, not all new PV'ers might be able to match that. However, new PV'ers should be made aware of what can (and has been achieved) to avoid them focusing on the wrong average price target.*

*For example - If the latest deals by those (not ripped off) are in the £4.5k-£6k range, then that gives people an idea on an average target of around £5.2k, but £6k is OK. However, if you tell people £6k is a reasonable target, then that implies (to me, but perhaps not to others) that £6.5k-£7k is fine. So the more information folk have, the more reasonable their decision can be.

Also, comparisons to 'lowest' prices might be a good thing, as PV is not necessarily a good idea for all, and a realisation that they will have to pay far more than others, might make them think twice about having PV at all. Personally I like to think back at the lower priced deals some on here obtained after first arriving with horrendous quotes, but I also feel proud (of myself and other G&E members) when folk walk away from PV (for now) when they see it simply makes no sense for them. It's about the right deal, not just the least worse deal.

• Wobblydeb
    Wobblydeb Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can happily recommend the firm who installed our panels in March this year - they were really professional and competitive on cost. They are in the North East if that works for you.

We ended up with 4.8kW of panels (which were black LG 320w panels so not the cheapest) plus myenergi Eddi and Zappi diverters for less than £6k. It was a straightforward install.
    I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
  • dan318064
    dan318064 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone

We've had another quote from a company called Eco Greenenergy Solutions Ltd who contacted us after we registered with Solar Guide.

The guy measured all the roof space and has said that we can fit a 16 panel system. They also include a I-Boost boiler control (we have a combi boiler but he said it will narrow the pipes and reduce the gas being used to heat the house.
    There would be a 6.5KW battery backup hybrid system which he said if we changed to Economy 7 could store etc off the grid cheaper during the night.
    He also said that during the summer months (with weather like this) that we would produce and store enough energy that our electricity bills from SSE would go down to zero as we'd produce enough of our own electricity to run the house. Does this sound feasible?

A rough precis of the quote is:

16 x 310w Q-Peak panels
    Solax H1 Hybrid ready inverter SK-TL
    Battery Backup system. 6.5KW
    V-O Eco Max
    I-Boost

For this system with installation they are quoting
    £8977.00

Is this getting any nearer to a decent investment?
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Hiya Dan. I'm slightly confused (nothing new there). Does this install come with a 6.5kWh battery, or is it just 'battery ready'?

With a battery it might be reasonable, but without it's pretty expensive.

Your description of zero import in the sunny months, suggests a battery, and I would agree, that with a 5kWp system and 6.5kWh of battery, you would most likely import nothing, unless you use an awful lot of leccy. Just to be clear, if you had some really awful summer days of perhaps just 5kWh generation, then the batt might not carry you through, but that would be the exception not the rule, so let's caveat it with 'close to zero' import.

The i-boost and boiler bit makes no sense to me, but perhaps it's something new ........ but ..... hmm.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure