Travelling to London

Comments

• aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You mention Liv St and Euston.

Do you have a through ticket from somewhere around Essex to somewhere in North London

If so the ticket should show the maltese cross sign which means transfer by tube is included already and you don't need to pay again.

I have un overground from Ipswich to Liverpool Street and my destination is Euston

Looking on the map I have to go on Metropolian Line to to Moorgate then Northern to Euston and obviously in return later in the day - If I tap in and out all barriers does the system still calculate cheapest fare at the end to charge?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    aardvaak wrote: »
    What is " hit the cap for the day"?

Daily fares are capped, once you reach a limit of £6.80 in central London (zones 1&2) you won't be charged for any more journeys you make.

So a single zone one fare is £2.40, if say you made 3 journeys the first two would total £4.80, the third would take you up to the cap so would be £2.00, anything after that is free.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,545
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Forumite
    aardvaak wrote: »
    I have un overground from Ipswich to Liverpool Street and my destination is Euston

Looking on the map I have to go on Metropolian Line to to Moorgate then Northern to Euston and obviously in return later in the day - If I tap in and out all barriers does the system still calculate cheapest fare at the end to charge?

You tap in at the first barrier at Liverpool Street then tap out when you arrive at Euston, there aren't barriers between the different tube lines.

I would be inclined to stay on the Met/Circle line to Euston Square, it's less hassle than changing lines at Moorgate, and a 5 min walk from Euston mainline. Have a look on google maps to see where it is in relation to where you are going.

The Met/Circle line trains are also air conditioned, Northern Line isn't ;)
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833
    Forumite
    Thank you for all your replies they have been very useful to a novice london traveler
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Forumite
    What is " hit the cap for the day"?
    There is a maximum for the day - which I believe if £6.80 in zone 1.
    This means you can travel all day within zone 1 and you'll only be charged £6.80.
    Will only affect you if you are doing at least 3 journeys.

Looking on the map I have to go on Metropolian Line to to Moorgate then Northern to Euston
    As someone else mentioned I'd recommend taking 1 tube (metropolitan, circle or hammersmith & city) to Euston Square. It's literally across the road from Euston. It's a busy road and I think there is a subway.
    The distance might even be less than the change at moorgate.

If I tap in and out all barriers does the system still calculate cheapest fare at the end to charge?
    You must tap in and out.
    Any journey within zone 1 on the tube is £2.40.

So I think it will be £2.40 * 2 = £4.80

BTW - the northern line is my least favourite tube.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,122
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Euston Square is actually a few hundred metres from Euston Mainline station entrance(s). The Met/Circle line actually runs under the road and you exit up stairs over the cut & cover line (still under the road) and turn right to exit on the correct side for the Mainline station (if memory serves me right). TfL reckon it takes 4 mins to walk.

(I used to walk past Euston Square on may way to Euston from BBC HQ in the 80s. Almost faster, but was certainly less crowded and cheaper than the tube.)

TFL planner says take Central Line to Oxford Circus and Victoria to Euston as probably fastest tube route. It's probably 6 of one and 1/2 a dozen for using the Circle/Met... but aircon will make that route more pleasant for the 10-11 mins it takes ;)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Forumite
    As above. It would be frankly daft to go via Oxford Circus. Just get any westbound train from LIverpool St (Circle, District or Metropolitan) and get off at Euston Square. Changing trains will add far more time than the brief walk from Euston Square to Euston mainline.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,175
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Can't see it mentioned by anyone else so make sure you use the same contactless card throughout. The 'cap' is on a 'per card' basis. If you happen to use (whether on purpose or accidentally) another card then you risk hitting the cap for both cards
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    In addition to the advice above, you are looking for this symbol on the ticket gates. You place your card on the reader - it beeps and opens the gates.

OysterCardReader.jpg

Buses are slightly cheaper than the Tube in London, and Route 205 goes all the way from Liverpool Street to Euston (takes around 35 mins). On buses, you place your Oyster/Contactless card on the reader as you board and it covers you for the whole journey. You don't scan your card when you get off. The flat fare is £1.50.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure