EON Smart Meters

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I switched yesterday and received my welcome pack this morning. Despite what Malc has said, it insists I have to have smart meters. Either it or Malc is mistaken and I would like to know which.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Organisation Representative
    Highland76 wrote: »
    Hi Malc
    I'm in the process of switching my energy (both gas & electric) over to E.ON and would like to get a SMETS2 meter fitted after my supply is live. I live way up North in Inverness (IV2) and the antenna used to communicate with smart meters is just 100 metres or so from my property. Does that mean the likelihood of getting a SMETS2 meter from E.ON is very high? If SMETS2 is not available then I will hold until its available in my area.

Also do both the gas & electric smart meters send readings independently, or do both meters communicate with each other and then send both readings in one go?

Cheers

Hello Highland76 and welcome to the Forums.

Thank you for thinking of switching to us. I can't give you a definite answer to your question about smart meters at this time and thought it might help if I let you know the current position.

We've made big advances with SMETS2 meters since I first posted on this thread and have increased the range of properties where we're now able to fit them. This isn't 100 per cent yet as there remain some properties where we continue to face difficulties. Some of these issues relate to the strength of the mobile phone signal and some are down to more local difficulties that don't become clear until a technician visits a property. Consequently, we're unable to let you know whether or not we're able to fit SMETS2 until we have control of the meters following a change of supplier.

I can tell you, we're looking to install SMETS2 at every opportunity. Where we can't, we'll fit SMETS1 and these will be updated remotely later this year so they're managed in the same way as SMETS2.

The electricity and gas meters communicate with each other and us. Readings will come through together. The gas meter sends readings to the electricity meter and the electricity meter sends information to the Energy Display and back to us. Unless you tell us differently, this will happen monthly.

Sorry I can't be more specific Highland76.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    GT60 wrote: »
    I am with Eon and been told twice now i need to book an appointment for a smart meter and even got a text once telling me when my appointment will be
    I replied i am NOT having a smart meter
    another time i had a text telling me i need an appointment for a meter safety check!
    Really good luck on that one too
    Not heard anything since and if Eon play the we will change your tarif stunt i will switch suppiers simples

Hello GT60 and happy to confirm, you don't need to agree to having smart meters. They're optional.

On the safety check, if your meter is nearing the end of its guaranteed shelf life, we'll be in touch to arrange a replacement. Again, you don't have to agree to a smart meter if you prefer not to. Alternatively, it could be we haven't seen the meter in a fair time and need to check it's safe and accurate. This doesn't involve a meter exchange unless a problem is found. In both cases, we've a regulatory duty to carry out this work.

Hope this explains.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I switched yesterday and received my welcome pack this morning. Despite what Malc has said, it insists I have to have smart meters. Either it or Malc is mistaken and I would like to know which.

Hello Smodlet and thanks for switching to us.

Please check your tariff T&Cs (specifically section 11.1). The bit in questions says as follows.

With this tariff you agree to be contacted during the tariff term for the installation of a smart meter.

This is what you're agreeing to when accepting the tariff. You agree only to be contacted about having smart meters installed. These requests can be refused and you'll be able to stay on the tariff.

I suspect other literature, like Welcome Packs, haven't caught up with the changes I've spoken about in other threads. Guessing here and I've fed this back to those responsible.

Hope this explains Smodlet.

Malc
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you, Malc. What it actually says is this:

"Getting smart
    We'll be in touch to check your home is suitable to fit smart meters. If it is, we'll book you an appointment and once fitted, we'll leave you with an in-home display so you can take control of the energy you're using."

If this looks out of date to you, then I will hang on and hope the other literature is as you describe. The above looks fairly unequivocal to me but this v21 tariff is so good I honestly thought the standing charges might be misprints and missing a "1" in front of them. :o

The meerkats have a tariff not shown in the CEC called EHL Collective which is even better. Is this something available only to those who want to deal with Cyber-Sergei? It is not important, I was just curious. £25 is far more use to me than cinema tickets and a cuddly toy.
  • benny5
    benny5 Posts: 218
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    benny5 wrote: »
    Could I ask the E-ON rep a question?

What happens when the battery on the Gas Meter expires?

From what I’ve discovered, the meter stops reporting readings and the display fails leaving the user/supplier with no record of usage. In that scenario you have, at least, continuity of supply.

If you’re unlucky your gas supply is switched off when the battery dies.

Please can you confirm the position?

I posted this on another thread last week without a reply. I am hoping to be more successful here.
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I posted this on another thread last week without a reply. I am hoping to be more successful here.
    They would want to know if it was a Smart or not I suspect too. If you don't get a reply to this, then I'd say a new fresh topic (with you starting said topic) might be enough to grab their attention especially if you put EON in the topic title aka "EON Gas Meter Question" or something like that. :)

Mind you, I never got a reply to mine a while back, I should ring them once I am able to to sort that 'concern' out too. hmm. Never mind.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,631
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

There was a thread on here last winter in which a couple in their 70's whose gas meter battery went dead (can only happen with a smart meter even if it is no longer smart). They spent at least 2 weeks in midwinter with no heating, that is how important the suppliers think we are. I would rather get down on my somewhat decrepit knees to read the meters monthly than have that happen to me. So much for registering as vulnerable!
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Thank you, Malc. What it actually says is this:

"Getting smart
    We'll be in touch to check your home is suitable to fit smart meters. If it is, we'll book you an appointment and once fitted, we'll leave you with an in-home display so you can take control of the energy you're using."

If this looks out of date to you, then I will hang on and hope the other literature is as you describe. The above looks fairly unequivocal to me but this v21 tariff is so good I honestly thought the standing charges might be misprints and missing a "1" in front of them. :o

The meerkats have a tariff not shown in the CEC called EHL Collective which is even better. Is this something available only to those who want to deal with Cyber-Sergei? It is not important, I was just curious. £25 is far more use to me than cinema tickets and a cuddly toy.

Thanks for that Smodlet. I've sent this plus other related stuff to the bosses to back-up what we've raised before.

I can confirm the standing charges for Fix Online 21 are as you say and aren't a mis-print.

With our EHL Collective Summer 2019 tariffs, these are only available through broker sites where customers have pre-registered.

Thanks again for posting the relevant part of the Welcome Pack Smodlet.

Malc

Hello benny5 and sorry I missed your post on another thread. I've been on leave and Helena has been delayed on other work.

Please let us know when you see a battery error message on your meter. For example, 'low battery alert'. We'll arrange for a technician to visit and replace the battery.

If your off supply, this will be done as an emergency call out within 4 hours of receiving the call.

Sorry again for the late reply benny5.

Malc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback