The first hurdle - Nichelette v the huge mortgage

Options

Comments

• Tropically
    Options
    I am a similar age, similar situation! I also have a large mortgage and similar salary to you. I hope the Stamp Duty situation is in your favour!
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041 :eek:
    2nd Property Mortgage at £275,000. Mortgage free: 2049 :eek:
    Total OPs: £29529
  • Nichelette
    Nichelette Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you all. I'll definitely look through some diaries, especially those with bigger mortgages. It would be nice too see how people are approaching them and cheer each other on :).

Gas and electric figure is what we're paying at the moment. I expect it will increase, though I'm not sure what to expect to pay yet so I'll amend it once we have moved and I have a better idea. At the moment we're in a 1 bed flat which is 4 years old and we're moving to a 2 bed house which is 15 years old so hopefully it will be fairly energy efficient still. As we're both out all day I think that helps keep the bill low too.

I'm thinking into the future, but I'm mostly concerned about the cost of we had kid(s) as paying on one income would be prettymuch impossible due to how its split between the two of us. I can't do my job part time, and we'd have to pay for full time childcare which would make things harder, but that is a bridge to cross in the future so I'm not going to worry about it now!
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £207,243.66
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £46,161.46
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    A couple of points.

Longer term gives flexibility look what the overpayments do

£289,500 @ 2.63% £1164pm 30y
    £289,500 @ 2.63% £1500pm 21y
    £289,500 @ 2.63% £1750pm 17y 2m
    £289,500 @ 2.63% £2000pm 14y 7m
    £289,500 @ 2.63% £2250pm 12y 8m
    £289,500 @ 2.63% £2500pm 11y 2m

Even modest variable amount overpayed will knock years off
    A good target is to look at a LTV in two years that gives a better rate
    ignoring HPI for now
    £320k to get to these LTV needs payment of
    86% £276,466 £1164
    85% £272,000 £1345
    80% £256,000 £1995
    75% £240,000 £2645

85% LTV should be easy, 80%(£830pm overpayment) is a good target, 75% might be stretch to far without some help from price rises.

You seem to have the spending well under control and over time the spend diary will hone the numbers on the SOA to reflect reality.

What is missing is the longer term detail.

With a big surplus it is easy to overlook what can be planned in advance(the budget) as when things come up not on the budget you just use some of the money that goes to savings/overpayments.

A good example is the car, even if you drop to one you need to plan getting it replaced at some point, even a cheap £2k car in 5 years time is £35pm average over that time

Owning a house comes with maintenance, any plans to decorate a room or two in the next 5 years do some work on the garden...

White goods/household electric even with good runs getting 10y out of everything it is still around £100-£200py.

Many are happy to go through everything and just allocate that to an emergency fund but the reality is you can predict a lot of things and plan a lot better or allocate funds to specific tasks

once you start eating into your £10k cash it won't last long, you need some of your spare £1,700 allocated to cover the things that will use up money.

I work on a plan that an emergency(unplanned expense) should only happen once, as you put it in the plan for the next time, you might not be able to predict 100% but if your washer breaks and you get a new one it will happen again so needs funds put aside.

In reality the list of predicable events need a single pot of money and you hope they don't all break at the same time.

With a 5-10 year budget with as much predicted and allocated as you can you will find that £1,700 shrinks quite a bit but your emergency funds needs should be a lot smaller.

I would also put some holiday money into the plan, you don't have to use it but say £100pm gives you £2.4k to have the option for a weekend/longer away, go out to something special, or even staycation where you have some treats but use home as a base.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 26 December 2018 at 11:39AM
    Options
    The SOA is a good monthly view but a good way is to normalise annually or allocat over longer periods.

you have a clear goal in 2 year when the mortgage is up for a new deal
    (check your lenders retention options)

looking at a 2 year plan starting with £10k in the bank and £1500pm surplus that's a total of £46k (leaves £200pm for SOA fine tuning).

your priorities can tune and add/remove

£20k overpayments
    £2.0k emergency
    £2.5k household electrics(less if you have everything already)
    £2.0k house maintenance
    £1.0k car replacement
    £2.5k holiday
    £16k long term savings(£6k on top of the £10k you have)

With a 2 year plan you can adjust cashflow, eg. you could focus the overpayments early to get max benefit, using some of the £10k and then later restore the savings but stay on the 2 year plan.

eg you could use £5k now and that gets replaced in 3 months(@£1700pm) if nothing comes up, not a massive interest saving but every little helps.
  • Nichelette
    Options
    Thank you for the tips getmore, I'll definitely look at everything in greater detail once we have moved :)
    Finally bought a home
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,496 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How are you getting on finding out the nature of your involvement with your dad’s property from 2010? If you can establish that you had no entitlement to a share in net proceeds of his property then you should save £5,000 on your purchase.
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Nichelette, happy new diary! :) And happy new year as well, seeing as we're that close.

I hope everything goes smoothly with your exchange and completion. As you read, our mortgage isn't quite as big as yours, but we've made a really good dent in it since we started overpaying in April. Sounds like you're already quite on it with budgeting / not living over your means, so I'm sure you'll be able to clear it much faster than the banks would like you too.

Maybe join the MFW challenge as well, it's really good for keeping you accountable and reminding you of your goals.

All the best!
    julicorn
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Best of luck with the the new diary :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Nichelette
    Options
    Thank you all. Sadly haven't had any luck re the stamp duty. To be honest I wasn't in a very good mental state at the time and didn't really do anything to protect myself as I was so desperate to stay in the house because of the anxiety the thought of private renting created.

Anyway, I have updated the spreadsheet i was using to track my spending and am going to resume when I'm paid on the 15th, so that is a positive at least.
    Finally bought a home
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,496 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nichelette wrote: »
    Thank you all. Sadly haven't had any luck re the stamp duty. To be honest I wasn't in a very good mental state at the time and didn't really do anything to protect myself as I was so desperate to stay in the house because of the anxiety the thought of private renting created.
    So did you establish that you were legally entitled to a half share of the net proceeds of sale of the property in 2010 and gave that up for nothing in September 2018?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback