Please recommend road cycling MSE bargains/must haves

Hi all,

I've recently signed up for a long road ride - Edinburgh to London in 5 days for the charity Missing People:

http://www.missingpeople.org.uk/missing-people/fundraising/missing-people-cycle-challenge

Later on today I'm off to test ride my new road bike. It'll be my first ever road bike as my previous cycling history is a bike that was too big for me at 12, which I never grew into, and a dirt cheap MTB I've ridden to its recent dramatic death. I'm getting a Specialized Dolce Sport, which comes with a few bits of kit - water bottles, saddle bag & water bottle holder.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/road/dolce/dolcesporttripleequipped#features

However, I need to start buying extras, and I'm feeling pretty skint, so I'm out for some bargains. What have been your best cycling bargains, and what bits of kit should I prioritise for a long ride?

In particular, I'm on the lookout for bargainous clothing, shoes, SPDs and reliable multitools. I'll be getting a new helment but have pretty much decided on a Kask so will be keeping my eyes open for discounts in the post-Xmas sales! I might be lucky at Xmas time, but will need to buy everything else myself, so would like it to be as MSE as possible!

Thanks all :j

Comments

• thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well you've got till June, so the distance shouldn't be a problem by then.

I would suggest lights and mudguards so you can get in the miles over winter. Also you will want them when you are doing the ride I should think.

Mudguards probably get done at the bike shop. Lights off deal extreme.

You don't really need spds urgently, you can put flats on till you find a cheap pair.

Multitool, well what tools do you need? Do you know how to do bike maintenance? I don't, but I find:

tube, pump, poundland spanner for my wheel nuts, poundland 4/5/6mm multitool is just about all you need

I suspect your bike has quick release wheels, so no spanner probably needed.

If there's something else you want to maintain and know what you need, maybe you need a fancier multitool. But I doubt it.

Your helmet doesn't sound like much of a bargain. Is it safer than other helmets?

Might want to get round to Decathlon and have a look at their clothing.
  • V_Chic_Chick
    V_Chic_Chick Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    If you have to carry all your own kit, then I would suggest investing in a good set of waterproof panniers. You really don't want a backpack, as having one feels a lot heavier and more tiring than having panniers does.

If you want some decent panniers, then I would suggest some Ortliebs - I got my pair from eBay for £65 (normally they retail for £110 per pair or so) and they retain their value very well (because they have a justified reputation for being very durable and utterly waterproof), so you could always resell them on eBay after the trip.
  • 1. Tyres/Innertubes/CO2 Inflator

Your new bike looks to have some tyres with a little puncture protection but carry a couple of spare inner tubes in the event the puncture fairy visits. Get a very small hand pump and I'd get a Lezyne CO2 inflator. Rarely can a pump get a tyre hard enough, a CO2 inflator gets it hard fast but is no use at all in the bedroom.....

2. DHB clothing/footwear/creams from Wiggle

DHB is Wiggles own brand, it does not have a fancy brand name but is excellent. Padding on the crotch and bum is a must as is something along the lines of a chamois anti chaffing cream. As unpleasant as it is to raise, after five days in the saddle you can get a bit sore. Lessen the problem by using the anti chaffing cream, before every ride.

3. SPDs

PDM520s, fit them and forget them. They will still be going when you're dead and are less than £20 including the part known as a cleat which attaches to your shoe, from Fleabay again.

4. Nuun/Banana/Toast/Jelly Babies

Cycling so far your body will want to cramp up without electrolytes and when you run out of energy you enter a condition know as 'bonking'. You do not want to bonk, it is truly terrible and you are unlikely to want to continue. I find Nuun tablets added to water help maintain your electrolytes and taste pleasant, a banana and toast everyday will give you slow release carbs and Jelly Babies an instant hit of energy. Avoid caffeine on long rides, it's great when it's working but when your body has used it you feel worse.

Do not underestimate diet and calorie burn, consider having a pint at lunchtime, seriously it's not known as liquid bread for nothing.

5. Smile and Enjoy

And don't be suprised when male cyclists follow closely, everyone love a lady in lycra ;)
  • JQ.
    JQ. Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Every true cycling bargain I've ever had has come from Decathlon. I've just spent £40 on some fantastic bib shorts - similar quality shorts from Wiggle or Evans would have cost £70-£80.
  • +1 for Decathlon clothing. Their cheap stuff for £10 does the job, but if you really push the boat out to £30 there's some great kit available.
    It's only numbers.
  • Dekazer
    Dekazer Posts: 452 Forumite
    Hiya,

Thank you all for your suggestions! I already commute around 16 miles per day, so will definitely check out the panniers (my old bike couldn't carry them).

For the clothing, it sounds like Decathlon's the place to go - shame it's a schlep, but I'll check their website too.

Thanks in particular to those who added brand name recommendations - very helpful as, once you know the brand/model you're looking for, eBay searching is a lot easier.

I got some extreme bargains when I was planning our wedding, thanks to the Weddings and Anniversaries thread on the MSE forum - now I intend to thoroughly exploit this thread for my biking needs ;) The most important thing, for me, is getting the best value for my budget. I may not buy the cheapest of everything, but I want the very best I can afford, for the best deal I can find!

I'll also share any good deals I come across during my research :D
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    +1 for Decathlon clothing. Their cheap stuff for £10 does the job, but if you really push the boat out to £30 there's some great kit available.

I don't know
    I bought a set of waterproof gloves.
    nice gloves,except the thumb is twice as long as I requires.
    I dont believe I have over short thumbs and have never had thumb/glove issues before
  • Lidl and Aldi stuff is fine. I have tops, gloves etc that I bought up to six years ago and they are still fine. I do al lot of cycling in all weathers and tour twice a year.
  • Dekazer
    Dekazer Posts: 452 Forumite
    Oh thanks for the Lidl comment - there's one near us and I've seen the occasional offer, but was never sure of what the quality would be like..
  • ventureuk
    ventureuk Posts: 354 Forumite
    Dekazer wrote: »
    Oh thanks for the Lidl comment - there's one near us and I've seen the occasional offer, but was never sure of what the quality would be like..

Just ridden home in a pair of winter thick long Lidl pants, this will be their third winter and don't know what I'll wear when they are finally done. I find their gloves poor quality but socks are good and if you can get your hands on some Merino wool tops they are fantastic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure