Project Mortgage Neutral Begins

Comments

• Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We painted our front of house this year. It does make such a difference. We can't afford new porch doors yet but white gloss and yellowy cream frontage really make it look cared for.

I can't wait to get the old bathroom from the drive :rotfl:
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So I have achieved what I needed to from the shrub, it is no longer growing into my roof and is away from my windows but it doesn't look great. No idea what to do next. I now know it is a climber but that is it, it has gone so long without attention that I can't cut it back to the trellis without getting rid of all the leaf shoots that will encourage it to grow. Having a lunch break after 4 hours in the garden and if it is still dry I will try and work out what to do.
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £400/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £14950.12/£22787.04
  • ajmoney
    Solution...get rid of it entirely and plant something new that I can train up the trellis, I love sweet peas but think I might be too late for them this year so will do some research. I decided there was no point with the shrub that was already there, not knowing what is was made the decision easier but I think it was possibly too wild for me and my inexperience to deal with. I nearly managed to get it all down to the root and then the rain started, hoping to finish it on Sunday and maybe get the root out too. I have disturbed a lot of spiders, some not small at all so I may get spider nightmares tomorrow. I shut my bedroom window as it is next to where I was working and I don't want them finding a new home there.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    My neighbour who now runs a small plant sales place has sweet peas for sale but they are somewhat 'grown up' and I'm not sure they would transplant. Re the strawberries ...are they very small ? They might be alpine strawberries ? Mine never grew as big as the supermarket ones but they did taste stronger.
    finally hope the spiders dont seek their revenge ...could send the once feral cat? Our spider problem has gone since she found her paws!
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • ajmoney
    Watty1 wrote: »
    My neighbour who now runs a small plant sales place has sweet peas for sale but they are somewhat 'grown up' and I'm not sure they would transplant. Re the strawberries ...are they very small ? They might be alpine strawberries ? Mine never grew as big as the supermarket ones but they did taste stronger.
    finally hope the spiders dont seek their revenge ...could send the once feral cat? Our spider problem has gone since she found her paws!
    Sweet peas, I was thinking of buying them ready to plant but may try and grow my own to put in the garden.
    Strawberries, they are very small so I hadn't picked them as I thought they may grow more but the colour suggests they are ready. I haven't dared try and more since last week but we shall see.
    Spiders :eek: I have just made sure all the other windows are shut too, I don't even have them on the slightly open function at the moment!!!!!

Debating a hydro spin class instead of a sea swim.
  • ajmoney
    The workshop was good and I think I understood quite a lot being a novice of all things gardening. I have had a look at the trees in my back garden and I mostly think I know what I need to do. I am less confident of the one in the front garden but I now know what each of the trees are so I can read up on them a little which will help. Around everything else I have planned for tomorrow I am going to try and do something with the tree which is apparently peach.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    ohhh a peach tree sounds nice. my ex parents in law had a peach tree but it never produced anything actually edible :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • ajmoney
    I took some leaves from my undiagnosed tree to a local garden centre this morning and they think it is a plum tree. I have made a start on pruning it today and have reduced the height quite drastically, it is probably still too tall but I would rather do it that way. I have also taken out one main upright that was crossing over another, I don't have anywhere to put them yet so may look to put an old duvet cover in the boot and take them to the tip in the next couple of days when I know I can vacuum my car again after as there is a fair amount of greenfly on it. I am deliberately stopping for lunch and to sort a couple of things out before I go any further so I don't get too happy with my pruning saw and shears. I will continue to sort the branches that are crossing over each other, then look at the individual shoots and the overall shape. It didn't blossom or flower this year so I am probably not going to do it too much harm and the greenfly suggests that if it doesn't next year either then I will take it out and plant something else.

In general my garden bin is not big enough!!!!
  • ajmoney
    Spent an hour and a hald getting my bike properly fitted to me this afternoon, it is amazing how different it feels now. I want to go out and try it but it is raining and I am a fair weather cyclist. I could put my bike on my turbo trainer but it is trashing my tyre rather quickly meaning I will be more susceptible to punctures outside. It seems I have a couple of options: get a different tyre/wheel to use just for on the turbo trainer or get a different turbo trainer that won't trash my wheel, the eventual plan will be to upgrade my bike and keep this one on the turbo permanently. I seem to be dripping money constantly at the moment on different things so undecided what to do.
  • ajmoney
    I need to have a good think over the next week as I have become a bit spendy and need to get a grip of it. All the purchases are things I need and am using them all, I am just trying to be aware of the situation so it doesn't get out of control.
    My meal planning has gone out of the window which is resulting in me eating the same meals and getting a little bored of it. I start my summer holidays in a week so this should naturally be easier as I will know when I am doing things and will have a decent routine for a couple of weeks.
    My main aim over my holidays is to be in the garden as much as possible, it will just have to result in a lot of trips to the tip, I have a load sitting in my garden at the moment but it is soaking wet after the rain last night so want to try and dry it out a bit first. I need to make sure I am finishing off each project before I start another though as I am not doing that at the moment, there is so much to do I am keen to get it all done. When I am not in the garden I will be swimming as much as I can especially if I can get in the lochs and sea. Maybe I should plan a couple of days out with a picnic and a swim so I don't get too fed up in the garden.
    Having a nice sit down before I head out in the garden as I have a day off today and want to make the most of it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure