Best Quality Dog Food

Comments

• Hi, I have a Romanian rescue dog with a sensitive tummy and I can highly recommend Burns sensitive, Pork and Potato. He absolutely loves it and everyone says how healthy he looks and how shiny his coat is.
  • doberly
    doberly Posts: 17 Forumite
    If your dog has a sensitive stomach, I recommend Holistic Select Natural. It contains probiotics and digestive enzymes.
  • norainbows
    norainbows Posts: 80 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 September 2018 at 10:49PM
    Hi all was looking for some advice. I have a 10 month old rescue puppy from Spain and have struggled to find food that she likes and doesn't cause an upset tummy. She is very much a mixed breed (we even paid for the dna test out of curiosity and she came back a bit of everything :rotfl:!)

She has had issues with being picky with food so she currently gets a mix of dry and wet food with a few treats for training but she goes through phases of not eating much. We have been giving her pedigree for the last couple of months but I have been hearing horror stories about the ingredients not being very nutritious. She had a rough start before we rescued her so want to give her something to try and help any damage that may have been done. Broke my heart when we were told that the dogs were fed on donated food and if it started to run out they would feed every other day to help it last longer.

Any advice on what is a good quality food that would suit a sensitive tummy? She is a very windy dog so something to stop that would be greatly appreciated :rotfl:
    Please don't take a recommendation from a vet regarding dog food as they have to promote certain foods. Do your own research. Sometimes a sensitive tummy is an ingredient or additive or filler i.e grains in the food causing the issue.

I checked allaboutdogfood website and it opened my eyes to how much rubbish is in so called nutritious dog food. I used the cost checker for weight and age of my dog and settled on a british organic 80/20 no grain dog food. It worked out at less than £1 a day to have the best quality food available and it had a 5 star rating and complete nutrient and ingredient breakdown. Shockingly rubbish like Pedigree Chum or Purina costs more and is inferior. A good dog food will produce perfectly formed stools. You may have to adjust how much you give your dog to achieve this.

Have a look and see what works for you. Eden Pet foods are suitable from weaning to old age. You will find that because the quality is so high you feed much less if you weigh the food out.

With regards to being fussy, most pet parents with the best intentions make their pet fussy but keep changing food and offering alternatives. This is the worst possible thing to do with a dog as you will condition it to be fussy. Dogs will not starve but they will hold out longer than you if you let them. This is called human training for dogs. If a dog doesn't eat its food, take the food up and offer the same food later. If it refuses again repeat the day after. The longest my dog held out was 4 days. However it was drinking water and well hydrated. When it realised there was no alternatives and no treats it gladly ate its food. Fasting for dogs is a s beneficial for dogs as it is for humans; very.
    Neurodiverse and struggling with not being 'normal'.
  • Hi all was looking for some advice. I have a 10 month old rescue puppy from Spain and have struggled to find food that she likes and doesn't cause an upset tummy. She is very much a mixed breed (we even paid for the dna test out of curiosity and she came back a bit of everything :rotfl:!)

She has had issues with being picky with food so she currently gets a mix of dry and wet food with a few treats for training but she goes through phases of not eating much. We have been giving her pedigree for the last couple of months but I have been hearing horror stories about the ingredients not being very nutritious. She had a rough start before we rescued her so want to give her something to try and help any damage that may have been done. Broke my heart when we were told that the dogs were fed on donated food and if it started to run out they would feed every other day to help it last longer.

Any advice on what is a good quality food that would suit a sensitive tummy? She is a very windy dog so something to stop that would be greatly appreciated :rotfl:

Thank you for rescuing your puppy, how lucky she is to have you now. If a dog is not underweight fasting is not necessarily bad for health if they have a good covering over their ribs and a little dip in the waist, just a little one. Please don't take a recommendation from a vet regarding dog food as they have to promote certain foods. Do your own research.

I checked allaboutdogfood website and it opened my eyes to how much rubbish is in so called nutritious dog food. I used the cost checker for weight and age of my dog and settled on a british organic 80/20 no grain dog food. It worked out at less than £1 a day to have the best quality food available and it had a 5 star rating and complete nutrient and ingredient breakdown. Shockingly rubbish like Pedigree Chum or Purina costs more and is inferior.

Have a look and see what works for you. Eden Pet foods are suitable from weaning to old age. You will find that because the quality is so high you feed much less if you weigh the food out.

With regards to being fussy, most pet parents with the best intentions make their pet fussy but keep changing food and offering alternatives. This is the worst possible thing to do with a dog as you will condition it to be fussy. Dogs will not starve but they will hold out longer than you if you let them. This is called human training for dogs. If a dog doesn't eat its food, take the food up and offer the same food later. If it refuses again repeat the day after. The longest my dog held out was 4 days. However it was drinking water and well hydrated. When it realised there was no alternatives and no treats it gladly ate its food. Fasting for dogs is a s beneficial for dogs as it is for humans; very.
    Neurodiverse and struggling with not being 'normal'.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    dontone wrote: »
    Have you considered tinned Chappie?
    My Hound gets bouts of colitis & has a sensitive stomach, so we give him that and he loves it. It's nice & bland and (apologies for this) firms him up after a bout of tummy trouble.
    Even the vet we use said that it was just as good as the special 'sensitive stomach' tinned stuff that they flog in their reception. ASDA do packs of 24 cans for £12.
    He also likes those frozen packs of minced chicken that Nature's Menu do - but I have to boil it up first, he will not touch it if it's defrosted/raw. He's a bit fussy that way.
    Hope this helps.
    A vet friend I once had said she recommended Chappie or ButchersTripe (original or with chicken and not the many other varieties) for upset tums and puppies who found the regular puppy foods too purging, as the ingredients are simple.

My cavaliers,one of whom was very fussy, have had the tripe varieties (and others as they didn't get upset)or JWB complete for over 20 years and I've recently found that the Aldi look-alike label is equally as acceptable and about 30p cheaper per tin.

I've also used Fish 4 Dogs completes, too as they have no bad additives and have high fishcontent.
  • For me it's Royal Canine
  • I’d recommend a quality Grain free dry food. My vets told me about the various risks with RAW, such as salmonella etc and I don’t want to risk it with our kids or family. We looked in depth into the best balanced food. Most of the dog food on the market would fill food with grain to bulk up the volume. Grains aren’t good for dogs, let alone ones with sensitive stomachs. Grain free has become more popular lately but many brands have actual low meat content and fill voulmes with potato or other cheap ingredients rather than the essentials. On the flip side some are a little too rich in meat and don’t agree either. We tried and tested what felt like every possible brand on the market! Our lovely Doris is now fed on what we think is a perfect balance recipe from a company called ‘Moonjoon Mutrition’. It’s cheap as well and has free delivery. She stil has some leftover treats occasionally from family suppers - only because she gives us ‘those eyes’ that make you melt haha! Our vet always comments how amazing she looks which is great to hear. This was our experience - hope it helps. Soph x
  • Wolvensam
    Wolvensam Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2019 at 10:56AM
    We use Millies Wolfheart. We have a German Shepherd pup (almost 7 months old) who suffered terrible skin allergies from Wainwrights, James Wellbeloved, Royal Canin et al. We found Millies online which is grain free, 70% meat and 30% fish - you can smell the difference, trust me!

Since we have had him his stool has always been a bit runny and coat a bit greasy. Now we get all sorts of compliments from the vet and his stool is rock solid.

It's not cheap - we get two lots of the 14.5kg bag which is £51.99, but it's great stuff. Our Jack Russell/Poodle cross loves it too, and he wouldn't touch dry food for love nor money before.
  • Ive just commented on another similar post discussing the same dilemmas. Thought id also share my experience on here in case it helps anyone who was in the same predicament as us. It sounds like more and more people are paying attention to what they actually feed their dogs - which is amazing.

I’ve read a lot of articles lately about dog food and quizzed many vets and nutritionists. One article said that 95% of dog foods owned by big commercial brands as well as supermarket brands don’t reveal their exact ingredients and actually have hooves, feathers, beaks, connective tissues and wool (...I know! Wool!?) in recipes under “meat and animal derivatives”. This is shocking! Hopefully some new regulations will come into force in future to sort this out.

A lady shared a brand on the other thread called Moonjoon Nutrition - it looked great. I ordered a bag yesterday and it arrived this morning. I’ve also requested free samples of other flavours for free. It was great to find a small personal brand like this who clearly show everything and have recyclable packaging as well. I compared the prices with the other brands people have been recommending such as Arden Grange and Millie’s Woolfhound etc (these also look great in terms of ingredients although most of Arden Grange range doesn't seem to be grain free - both have quite similar nutritional values) but the Moonjoon Nutrition came out cheaper than them all and it seems like they can’t do enough for you.

You’ve got to love this forum! Last week I got a top tip regarding broadband and yesterday I’ve found this top dog food!

Thank you savvy people
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    One article said that 95% of dog foods owned by big commercial brands as well as supermarket brands don’t reveal their exact ingredients and actually have hooves, feathers, beaks, connective tissues and wool (...I know! Wool!?) in recipes under “meat and animal derivatives”. This is shocking!

Why? If your dog killed and eat its own food, it would consume all those things, even bits of wool, skin and hair from the prey.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure