Breakdown cover: Get the cheapest roadside recovery

Options

Comments

• Sam2007
    Sam2007 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Also RAC recently won the J.D. Power Survey 2006 for breakdown, AA was closely second... but where was Autoaid eh? nuff said.
  • Sam2007
    Options
    FL wrote:
    I was considering using the Tesco vouchers and looked at the options. Is it possible to have home start and recovery at the roadside with them using the voucher. If not can't see the point. I have been with Norwich Union for the last 3 years and they charge £65 for my husband and I to have a joint policy which covers just about everything but European travel.
    Only way to get Roadside/Recovery/At Home would be to take out either Roadside/Recovery or Roadside/At Home through Clubcard vouchers then ring the RAC to upgrade to the 3rd option which is around £45/46 as far as I remember.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also RAC recently won the J.D. Power Survey 2006 for breakdown, AA was closely second... but where was Autoaid eh? nuff said.

I don't think it really is "nuff said".

Where did they come?
    Were Autoaid included?
    Did the survey include pay & claim services.

I haven't used them personally but I have seen many, many happy customers on these boards and as it cover 3 vehicle and 2 people in our house then I'm well happy.
    I haven't broken down, but I've been very saitisfied with the service when I've phoned.
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sam2007 wrote:

All your posts since joining seem to be aimed at slating Autoaid. Do you work for one of those large expensive companies mentioned ?
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • rawy
    rawy Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been with autoaid for 2 years & had no problems.
    Claimed twice & was settled within a week. I just put it on my credit card & by the time I have to pay it, autoaid has already re-imbursed me.

To get round the home start £45 rule I've registered my mums address as mine & so if I breakdown at home I am ok. Its only if I breakdown at mums that I have a problem! But I have friends nearby who could help. Whereas I don't have any frinds that could help at home.

Also with autoaid you can call your own recovery company out, you don't have to use one of theirs. I use a local comapny I have known for years, they have never let me down. You don't get a choice with teh AA they'll send you any patrol or any garage working for the AA.

Rawy
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    dennyboy wrote:
    I'm afraid I disagree with Martin on this one, just got RAC cover for myself and the misus for £63.99. http://www.rac.co.uk/web/breakdowncover/uk/;jsessionid=1B3D2F7DEDEE98EF50B0232CBE3E3FB5
    However went through quidco and got £20 back, which makes it £43.99. This is Solution 2 with homestart the lot. You do have to setup a direct debit, just make sure you cancel on the 10th month (put it in your diary). Or if you only want a single policy £39.99 with £20 quidco back, works out £19.99 for homestart the lot.

This solution is much better than AutoID service where you have to pay out and then claim back it all the hassle which I really coudn't be bothered doing, its bad enough your car breaking down without having to claim.

Just my thoughts on this before you all rush to AutoID!

Aargh - just went to do this and prices have gone back up , should have snapped option2 up at that price.
  • Sam2007
    Options
    Optimist wrote:
    All your posts since joining seem to be aimed at slating Autoaid. Do you work for one of those large expensive companies mentioned ?
    Yes I do which is why I get so infuriated when people compare cheap £32 cover from Autoaid with the likes of AA/RAC. Its cheap for a reason, like I said before, you wouldn't compare Tesco value with their finest range would you? Sure the value range does what it says on the tin, but if you want that little bit more you pay the extra and buy the better stuff.
  • judderman62
    judderman62 Posts: 5,134 Forumite
    Options
    Totally agree with you. Never understood the fuss on here with Auto Aid - I want to be able to make a call, they arrive (quickly - AA are tops for this) , do what needs doing, and then I get on with my life. Pay and claim back ?? :eek: :eek: :confused: you ARE having a laugh :rolleyes:
    dennyboy wrote:
    I'm afraid I disagree with Martin on this one, just got RAC cover for myself and the misus for £63.99. http://www.rac.co.uk/web/breakdowncover/uk/;jsessionid=1B3D2F7DEDEE98EF50B0232CBE3E3FB5
    However went through quidco and got £20 back, which makes it £43.99. This is Solution 2 with homestart the lot. You do have to setup a direct debit, just make sure you cancel on the 10th month (put it in your diary). Or if you only want a single policy £39.99 with £20 quidco back, works out £19.99 for homestart the lot.

This solution is much better than AutoID service where you have to pay out and then claim back it all the hassle which I really coudn't be bothered doing, its bad enough your car breaking down without having to claim.

Just my thoughts on this before you all rush to AutoID!
    Hate and I do mean Hate my apple Mac Computer - wish I'd never bought the thing
    Do little and often
    Please stop using the word "of" when you actually mean "have" - it's damned annoying :mad:
  • judderman62
    Options
    dennyboy wrote:
    It is my opinion MarkyMarkD, and I do think it is more "hassle" to reinburse .... I really don't like the idea that you have to be armed with a credit card in the event of a breakdown.

Again agree 100% with you on this - also they are the only ones that do this - that makes them a no no for me.

dennyboy wrote:
    I also find the other clause AutoAid have unfair that states Home Assistance

" If the vehicle breaks down at your home or within one mile of your home, we will arrange help and reimburse any call-out fees and labour charges needed to start the vehicle. If the vehicle cannot be repaired quickly at the scene of the breakdown, we will reimburse the reasonable cost of taking the vehicle to the nearest available garage. The maximum reimbursement under this benefit ONLY is £45."
    which is most likely that if you go the local shops, break down and have to be towed back, I can't see any breakdown firm doing the tow for less than £90, Why have this clause!!! It must happen to people. Why not include it! Anyway that put me right off. Along with the claiming stuff back.

Yep with you all the way - wouldn't consider them for a nano second.
    Do little and often
    Please stop using the word "of" when you actually mean "have" - it's damned annoying :mad:
  • judderman62
    Options
    Spot on mate
    Sam2007 wrote:
    I've said it once and I'll say it again, you get what you pay for, I wouldn't buy Tesco Value bread and neither would I buy cheapo cover from the likes of Autoaid etc. They have too many limitations and exclusions which no doubt will come to light when you need them most. I'd rather pay extra and have piece of mind which is surely why you have it in the first place?
    Do little and often
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure