Breakdown cover: Get the cheapest roadside recovery

Options

Comments

• owitemisermusa
    Options
    Hiya,

Called up RAC to ask about getting a discount for Solutions 2 personal cover and the I was refused!

Been a member for 2 years, never had to call them out (so have a "2yr no-claims discount") and have been quoted £80 for renewal.

The lady refused to lower the premium even though I mentioned I had discovered a £36 annual cover (AutoAid)!

Next step? Would I have to cancel? Considering the AA. Seems there's no way to get cashback and I don't have /understand the Tesco Clubcard thingy.

Does anybody have any experience of cancelling the RAC membership and joining immediately as a new customer (via cashback site)?

Thanks.

OMM
    Tough times never last longer than tough people.
  • Zeusie
    Zeusie Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's worth mentioning that if you have a Toyota car, you can get RAC cover through Club Toyota membership.

It costs £55 a year. That covers the car rather than an individual or souses/partners and includes home start, rodaside recovery/ repair, onward travel and European Cover.

Equivalent cover direct from RAC (even with cashback) for a similar joint cover is £71. Not even sure if that gets you European cover.

Well worth it IMO.

:T
  • owitemisermusa
    Options
    Zeusie wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning that if you have a Toyota car, you can get RAC cover through Club Toyota membership.

It costs £55 a year. That covers the car rather than an individual or souses/partners and includes home start, rodaside recovery/ repair, onward travel and European Cover.

Equivalent cover direct from RAC (even with cashback) for a similar joint cover is £71. Not even sure if that gets you European cover.

Well worth it IMO.

:T

Sounds like a good deal.

I really should get a Toyota then, shouldn't I?

One can only aspire at the moment though!
    Tough times never last longer than tough people.
  • VictoriaS_3
    VictoriaS_3 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I have just recieved my new aa card in the post, but reading this makes me think twice and I am thinking about joing AutoAid instead. Does anyone know if I can still cancel once new card has beenrecived. I can't recall getting any other infromation.

Thanks V
  • Woggle
    Woggle Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We're looking at getting European breakdown cover for 2 weeks when in France and Switzerland.

Tesco breakdown cover (Green Flag) is cheaper than AA and RAC but I'm not sure whether they have English speaking advisors if you break down - any ideas?
  • pcjon
    pcjon Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    If you call up AA on their freephone sales number - 0800 085 2721 - and do a bit of haggling (it's worth mentioning that Green Flag's equivalent cover is £4 cheaper), you can get their cover for £35 but with a £20 M&S voucher. So, if you're likely to use the voucher then you essentially get a years AA cover for £15.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I had our renewal for AA yesterday. We cancelled it for a year because we got free Green Flag with an insurance policy. The new AA quote was £177 - joint cover, full monty.

I went on quidco and saw that RAC was giving 25% off their online quotes plus £40 cashback. Making a total of £116 for cover.

I rang AA told them I was very sorry but RAC were able to do same cover for £116 - she asked me where I saw this - told her, she looked at the pricing as we were speaking and said I cant match, but I can reduce your cost by 33% - which made it £124 for the full year - I accepted as I didnt want the fussing about with changing over and not knowing if there would be any difficult clauses with RAC like "do you have your car professionally serviced every year" sort of stuff.

So £53 for a phone call - well worth it.

WOGGLE - doesnt AA full monty cover you for european 90 days anyway?
  • codger
    codger Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a quickie for any MSErs who, like us, used Tesco ClubCard Deal vouchers last year to get ourselves a free year's subscription to the RAC.

We chose Roadside and At Home -- haven't had to use it, but it was good to have for nowt. We wondered what would happen when renewal time came. It has. The RAC letter says we can either renew (£122) or use Tesco ClubCard Deals vouchers yet again, whichever we wish.

So we've just chucked in forty quids worth of vouchers -- they're only bits of paper after all -- and renewed, this time for joint cover for Roadside, At Home, and Recovery.

Nowt again then.
  • booklover
    booklover Posts: 897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello everyone

We had our Renewal letter sent out last week - it's £164 Joint Policy,
    Roadside, Recovery and at Home.

Last Year it was £133, so a £31 increase!

Can anyone advise me how to cancel and use Tesco Vouchers, I only have £11 though.

Or alternatively can you suggest a good alternative eg. AA we could use with equivalent cover?

Many thanks in advance. :A

booklover
  • booklover
    booklover Posts: 897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sorry forgot to say it was with the RAC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing