Young Drivers' Car Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• smunchkinp
    Options
    My own 19yr old son passed his test earlier this year, and cant afford to insure a car. Even though he has 3 years no claims bonus which he was going to transfer over from his motorbike.
    Quotes range from £2500 upwards, with large excess's AND putting both me and hubby (both with 14+ years no claims) on the policy.

He's staying on his motorbike, £250 a year Fully comp. until he's deemed a lower risk. (even though he's proved this fact by staying alive for 3 years on 2 wheels, in all weathers)
    Mortgage deposit fund: £4000
    £2012 in 2012 challenge #121: £2491.23/£2012
  • XavierSQ
    Options
    Im 19, soon to be 20 in march, and been driving three years in august 2011, ive never had a crash, and ive always kept myself as a second driver rather than the main as its always saved me money on my cars ive had over the years of driving.

recently i have bought an audi a5 2.0 tdi 2010. I was quoted 1700 as a second driver with my father who has 9 years no claims. Unfortunately the policy was cancelled due to my old insurance giving more than the incorrect information on my fathers no claims, therefore it was cancelled. now im a bit stuck. I cant find no insurance for less than 3 - 4k. More than will not reinstate the policy even though we proved the no claims were correct, due to their underwriters not wanting to. I was wondering, from here what can i do? Ive tried nearly every insurer, even the gimmick "insure the box" and "i kube". Before i get told its the cars value and my age and so forth, I researched cars lowest car crime rate in the UK, and it came up as cornwall/devon, and from there i went to get post codes to use, and once again my insurance dropped from 3 - 4k to 1k !!! So postcode is a major factor clearly. I live in South London where car crime rate is high, im young, the car value is high. But if more than can insure me for less than 2000!!!! (and 1500 if i was a girl) there must be someone else????!!!????

thanks
  • bob_a_builder
    bob_a_builder Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 January 2012 at 11:13AM
    Options
    and ive always kept myself as a second driver rather than the main as its always saved me money on my cars ive had over the years of driving
    Whats your definition of 'second driver' ?
    sounds a bit dodgy to me, have you heard of 'fronting' ?
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 January 2012 at 1:33PM
    Options
    "ive always kept myself as a second driver rather than the main as its always saved me money on my cars ive had over the years of driving".

This is because you have committed fraud by presenting a risk to insurers in a way to reduce the correct premium that should be charged.

You are going to have trouble finding cover as you attempted to obtain cover by fronting. This means that you pretended that the car was your fathers, he was the main driver and you were going to be an occasional driver on the policy. Your best bet will be to sell the car! This is also going to impact on your father going forwards as he will now have to declare that insurers have cancelled a policy.

Suggest that you correctly declare the risk and see if you are able to find an insurer to cover you in your own name, which is what you should have done in the first place rather than trying to obtain cover under false pretences.
  • ben_billett
    Options
    hi everyone,
    i am 17 and cant find any insurance under 2700 annually, i have looked at all of the comparison sites and i have looked at direct line who wouldnt even quote me and i have looked at aviva who quoted £7800!! is there any insurers out there who can give me affordable insurance?? i cant afford to spend half of my pay packet on insurance alone... any help would be much appreciated! the car im looking to insure is a 2002 ford KA, and i cant get insurance with a curfew as i often wont get back from work until after 11pm
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thats about as low as it will get.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• hi everyone,
    i am 17 and cant find any insurance under 2700 annually, i have looked at all of the comparison sites and i have looked at direct line who wouldnt even quote me and i have looked at aviva who quoted £7800!! is there any insurers out there who can give me affordable insurance?? i cant afford to spend half of my pay packet on insurance alone... any help would be much appreciated! the car im looking to insure is a 2002 ford KA, and i cant get insurance with a curfew as i often wont get back from work until after 11pm
    what insurance company quoted you £2,700
  • manbearpig19
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm 22 and have just passed my test last month and am looking to get insured on a 2003 vauxhall corsa 1.2 litre. I practically live at my university flat full time as my mum lives between France and Scotland but stays at her partners address when in the country. My dad lives 300 miles away down south and I have never lived full time at the address that he now resides at as he moved their after I moved to Scotland with my family (complicated i know).
    My question is what address should I be insuring my car to? The flat I currently live in would be the most obvious but I will be moving from it in June as I will be working in a yet unknown location for the summer before returning to a different address in the city. Do I use my dad's address as that is the only permanent residence that I have? I'm assuming that if I change the address of insurance multiple times in the year long period my premium will also vary depending on the areas I insure to?

Any help appreciated!
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    I'd use your dad's as the correspondence address, and you'll have to inform them as to "where the car is kept overnight" as it changes.
  • angelcakes_smw
    Options
    I tried to get a quote for the co-op young driver policy the other day only to be told that they refuse to give me a quote as the number of passengers I have in my car is "unacceptable". I understand they are trying to keep premiums down but I find this insulting. I am a mother of 3 with a husband, how can it be unacceptable to be driving them around in our family car?! It makes me so mad! Unfortunately I fall into the young driver category (will be 24 this march) but none of the young driver policies seem to be suitable. Does anyone know what I can do to stop being ripped off? I've done my pass plus, I have 2 years ncb (the length of time I've been driving for), everything else seems to be fairly straight forward. I just cant seem to get the premium below £1300 annually (which we cant do sadly) or £1900 monthly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure