Car Accident caused by a Local Council Dustbin Lorry

167891012»

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    buglawton wrote: »
    Why isn't it a legal requirement for bin lorries, in fact all large vans that operate around humans and residential areas a lot, to have rear cameras? You'd think we live in the Stone Age.
    Do you think the one in this incident hadn’t?
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm doubtful. This article shows that for some local authorities in 2019 cameras on bin lorries are a 'new thing'.
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bin-lorries-fitted-cameras-tackle-2776010
    And my key point was, is it a legal requirement? I think not, which is crazy. Further, a FOI request should oblige any council to supply without fuss footage to aggrieved members of the public.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    Forumite
    buglawton wrote: »
    I'm doubtful. This article shows that for some local authorities in 2019 cameras on bin lorries are a 'new thing'.
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bin-lorries-fitted-cameras-tackle-2776010
    And my key point was, is it a legal requirement? I think not, which is crazy. Further, a FOI request should oblige any council to supply without fuss footage to aggrieved members of the public.

I think you maybe confused with the article, most if not all large vehicles have reverse cameras amongst other items for safety.
    The cameras in the article are dashcam type that show the vehicle collecting from the streets as per rota.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Why do these threads usually degenerate into a willy waving contest, by the usual suspects, which is of no help to the OP?
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    Forumite
    Why do these threads usually degenerate into a willy waving contest, by the usual suspects, which is of no help to the OP?

I didn't notice your positive contribution to the thread :o

The facts are the OP's relative reversed into another vehicle.
    What she thought may have happened didn't actually happen.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    a.turner wrote: »
    So what is reversing into something?

That depends entirely on circumstances. But the bar for gross negligence is a lot higher than negligence.
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Thank you for that unnecessary grammar lesson.
    The lady in question either (1) reversed without looking or (2) looked, and then reversed into another vehicle regardless.
    I’d suggest that either is grossly negligent.

You may not have needed a grammar lesson but apparently you do require your memory jogged - unless mercdriver is your AE.

My "grammar lesson" wasn't for you. You called the bin driver grossly negligent, not the OP's mum.

I also think the distinction is still lost to you. Unless you think the mum was so negligent, its akin to criminal damage - that its along the same lines as purposely using her vehicle as a weapon with the intent to cause the damage.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure