MOT Car fail

Options
andystephens
andystephens Posts: 1,705 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all

Hoping someone could help me.

I’ve got a 2002 Honda Civic which has just failed it’s MOT. A couple of things are easy which I can sort out. The other two I need help with.

Firstly, they said there is excessive free play at the steering wheel steering rack fitted. How would I fix that?

Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn offside front. Which part are they referring to as it seems a bit vague.

Thanks
Proud dad to Darcy.....

Comments

• thematrix12
    thematrix12 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    You’re best to ask the garage who completed the MOT. They’d be in the best position to tell you of work that needs completing and an approximate quote.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Look underneath for yellow crayon on a suspension arm ;)

Steering rack could be any number of joints / components.
  • andystephens
    andystephens Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Garage was not really that helpful, the woman said she would ask the mechanic but he was on a 2 hour lunch break!

I’ll take a look underneath, I am technically minded. Wasn’t sure if it could be lower wish bone or ball joint

And I have heard there is a way to tighten the rack on a civic.... don’t think it’s any of the tie rods as nothing was said at MOT
    Proud dad to Darcy.....
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Firstly, they said there is excessive free play at the steering wheel steering rack fitted. How would I fix that?
    Could be a UJ in the column, could be the rack itself, could be the rack mount bushes.
    Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn offside front. Which part are they referring to as it seems a bit vague.
    Jack it up, get your head in there, and give it all a good wiggle - you should see and feel it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure