Executor delaying distribution of assets

My Father died over 2 years ago. The Executor did not apply for Probate for over a year after his death, but it was granted in March 2018.
I am a residual beneficiary, and will not receive any inheritance until my Fathers house is sold, but I was left ‘other’ assets that the Executor refuses to distribute.
Namely ‘Bitcoin’
If these had been distributed once Probate was granted, they would have been worth far more than they are now. Is the Executor liable for the difference in value ?
The Executor is a relative, who refuses to communicate. I have had to get Solicitors involved several times already.

Comments

• As there are no debts to settle, there should be no delay in distributing the bitcoins - other than being awkward.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Are there other beneficiaries dependant on the house sale?
  • Yes. There’s about 30 beneficiaries who will get money once the house is sold, no-one has received anything yet.
    There’s only 4 of us who should inherit the bitcoins.
  • MillieM00 wrote: »
    My Father died over 2 years ago. The Executor did not apply for Probate for over a year after his death, but it was granted in March 2018.
    I am a residual beneficiary, and will not receive any inheritance until my Fathers house is sold, but I was left ‘other’ assets that the Executor refuses to distribute.
    Namely ‘Bitcoin’
    If these had been distributed once Probate was granted, they would have been worth far more than they are now. Is the Executor liable for the difference in value ?
    The Executor is a relative, who refuses to communicate. I have had to get Solicitors involved several times already.
    The executor is personsly liable to the estate for any losses due to their negligence or undue delay. Proving it may be difficult. We’re the bitcoins to be liquidated or passed to one beneficiary?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Did your father buy the bitcoins directly? If so, unless the executor has been given the private key associated with those coins you will never get them.

Few older people have gone anywhere near bitcoin and of those who have many will have done so through cold callers persuading them to
    invest
    in them. If this is the case it was almost certainly a scam and the money will be gone.

Most executors are going to struggle to know what to do with bitcoin and other crypto currencies so this could just be a mater of them failing to admit that they have no clue what they are doing.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    30 beneficiaries !!!! Wow!! Glad I'm not executor for that one.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure