MSE Poll: Parcel delivery firms: which are the best and worst?

Former_MSE_Karl
Former_MSE_Karl Posts: 175 Forumite
First Post I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Best Buy Bear
edited 2 January 2019 at 6:36PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 2 January 2019
Now the festive season is over, Santa finally has the chance to rest – yet for parcel delivery firms (which helped), it's business as usual.

Over the past few years, we've heard a variety of horror stories, ranging from no-shows to mis-delivered parcels and even items being left in the bin.

So it's time for our sixth annual poll to sort the good guys from the bad…
Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• es5595
    es5595 Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I can't get the link to work? It just takes me to the MSE homepage...
  • es5595 wrote: »
    I can't get the link to work? It just takes me to the MSE homepage...

You have to scroll down.

For some reason MSE changed it in early December, until then the link took you directly to the poll,.
  • I haven't voted as to a large degree it's down to the luck of the draw as to the quality of the delivery staff in your area.

I've lived in 3 house in the past 18 months:
    House 1
    Best: Royal Mail and DHL
    Worst: Yodel

House 2
    Best: Amazon Logistics and Hermes
    Worst: Royal Mail (by far the worst service we've ever had from a delivery company in the 9 months we were there they managed to lose at least 10 parcels or letters)

House 3:
    Best: Royal Mail, Hermes
    Worst: DHL
  • Hi Folks, I've just updated the link in the opening post so it now links directly to the poll. Apologies!
  • telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    The current free for all delivery "system" we currently have is one aspect of modern life that has just evolved and grown at a horrendous and un-sustainable rate.

For example in our small village we now have many separate delivery vans visiting each day. On one road there is often log jam of white vans queueing to get past each other, engines running. All drivers mega stressed as they have a huge over-load of parcels targeted to deliver and no time built in for delays.

Its an environmental and pollution disaster literally happening on all our doorsteps.

I can't help but wish we had just one centralised delivery system that could go to every village/house on a regular schedule, maybe even several times a day. That would be so much better for everyone and the planet as a whole.

(perhaps that one efficient delivery system could have distinctive vans, maybe even painted a cheery red colour)
  • Cherub43
    Cherub43 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 3 January 2019 at 12:12PM
    APC overnight delivered my Christmas turkey to the wrong house. To do this they had to ignore their satnav and fail to verify the name on the parcel.
    Luckily the people at the wrong house were honest and brought the turkey round, otherwise Christmas could have been ruined for us.
  • Cherub43 wrote: »
    APC overnight delivered my Christmas turkey to the wrong house. To do this they had to ignore their satnav and fail to verify the name on the parcel.
    Luckily the people at the wrong house were honest and brought the turkey round, otherwise Christmas could have been ruined for us.

You would indeed have been well and truly stuffed. Like the Turkey.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    For us, it does depend on a) whether they use the regular driver, b) whether they can pass on delivery directions to the driver, or if they get lost in the system, c) if the driver is prepared to act on directions provided, or remains glued to his sat-nav.
    For example, we have a local Yodel guy who knows where we are, and rings to warn us before delivery. Royal Mail are usually good, but Parcelforce must have put a temporary person on over Christmas, who left packages in a selection of random places, with no card - we think we found them all, but who knows? Amazon delivery just makes me sigh as they usually need at least 2 attempts, whether we are in or out.
  • What a shame - I didn't see the poll last week, but my vote would have been similar to everyone else's. Yodel - what a terrible company for dealing with problems. If they deliver first time, there's usually no issue but if you're not in - it just goes to pot!

My worst issue came just before Christmas - making an order through Beer Hawk. They attempted delivery twice whilst I was away, and on the second time he posted a card through saying it had been returned to the local delivery centre...however...he'd keyed into his device that he had delivered it! (They believe he did this because he is unable to systemically return it to the local delivery centre until the 3rd attempt).

So after multiple calls and emails - I kept getting the response "It's been delivered to a safe place, sir", even though I sent them proof of the delivery slip - they were having none of it.

Beer Hawk the company did a sterling job and re-sent out my delivery the very next day (thankfully I was in to receive it from Yodel).

However I'd gotten so narked off with Yodel and they're lack of customer service, that I decided to check my house CCTV during the delivery time. It showed the delivery person approach my door, not even ring the doorbell, put the "Sorry we missed you" slip through the letterbox and then leave. And the driver had the check to lie and say he had actually delivered it (even though he'd left a note)

I think it should be compulsory for all companies to declare what delivery company they are using. As much as I enjoyed the Beer Hawk product, I won't buy from them again because of the hassle from Yodel....
  • DPD is definitely the best for my area and the good old Royal Mail is reliable... Hermes always deliver to my place after 7pm somehow...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure