PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Chaotic for preference. That way I throw food & presents into a space & dive behind the furniture & eavesdrop.
    So far, the little build & go dinosaurs are superb value for money & while I have learned new words, sons are feeling a glow of pride/chortling like demented Bond villains.
    So far, so good!

Have a wonderful time with all you hold dear & count on us for alibis if pratricide becomes essential. (Alibis are like socks - so long as they fit, the more the better.)

Agreed. A Role-Playing-Game I was in developed the concept of “popping out for an alibi” whenever one of the players tried to play the hero, which was completely opposite his character’s skill-set. He was hopeless and it was safer for our characters. (RPG’s often bring out the wish-fulfilment in people. Pay attention and you will discover their inner self/ the person they wish they were.)

Merry Christmas Preppers.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • 500 Watts, with 2 speed fan, ceramic heating element.
    81KlVDOw9-L._SY450_.jpg

No cables. Plugs straight into a wall socket.

£15 from B&M Bargains.
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hello, preppers, long time no see - lovely to have a shiny new thread :D

Been MIA for far too long, but life and my head are somewhat better these days, so I'm diving back into OS ways with a vengeance - really missed these threads. So nice to 'see' some lovely familiar faces here :wave:

My preps for the next 6-12 months include growing edibles, spending far less money (cos we ain't got it!! :rotfl: ), scratch cooking just about everything, and generally finding other ways to spend less (and possibly earn a bit more) and do more. I'm painfully aware of how bad this year's been for overspending, and not doing a lot of the things I should have (bad head etc), but feeling more positive this Christmas, so onwards and upwards!

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • Oh dear, Cappella, I do hope your recovery continues & you're soon back to normal! I'm suddenly realising just how precious & fragile good health is, even when you feel fine. Hats off to all those of you who have been coping with health challenges all along; you have a lot to teach those of us who've been taking good health for granted. And welcome back, Cheapskate & calicocat.

It's been a lovely holiday here even with my treatment ongoing; the "kids" have all rallied round, worked hard & been absolute troopers. They've also laughed a lot & generally had a good time & I'm very proud of them. Isn't it funny how the ones you thought would never get the whole "use your imagination, time & skills rather than expensive gadgetry" thing suddenly turn out to have taken it on board after all? Even Mr. Always-has-the-Latest-iPhone put his devices & social media away for the whole day yesterday, and is currently occupied doing an 1000-piece jigsaw with his sister!
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • I think poker is a massively underrated prepping skill. Not least as a passable competence & you can enjoy a sociable evening, and for only a little more work you have the maths skills to calculate odds, risk & (sometimes can even figure) when to gracefully walk away.

Says she, still largely incompetent, so sticking with brewing & knowing where playing cards are stashed. (Beggar my Neighbour is in fact just a game to entertain the young & sick with, no skill involved, and probably not a good idea for heart patients but rattling good fun. Racing Demon requires a lot of packs of cards all complete & with different back art as well as lightning reflexes and a truly uninhibited urge to win. For some reason my chaps are rather good at it.)

Learn a few card games & watch the plugged-in lot be seduced over to the unplugged side...
  • herbily
    herbily Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Happy post-Christmas to everyone! In the clearing up process after Christmas, I discovered a prepping accident, almost a melt-down - a little wind-up radio with a splash-proof cover, sort of rubberised, has been laid next to leaking bottle of perfume, which has partially dissolved the rubber coating. I now have a very sticky emergency radio - is it salvageable? Is there anything that will stop the outside being sticky? (My sister recommended I roll it in dessiccated coconut, but I think she was joking...)

Hoping one of you clever peeps has come across similar problem?
  • Racing Demon! I'd forgotten that one... one of the many games that made up the exhilarating evenings of my childhood. Don't get me wrong, my lot do play games (Mah Jongg, Dobble & Uno being the current favourites) as well as snuggling in front of a film with bowls of HM popcorn, but they don't usually end up doubled up with laughter & gasping for breath like we used to. Ahhh, is there any hope for the youth of today...?!
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • herbily wrote: »
    little wind-up radio with a splash-proof cover, sort of rubberised, has been laid next to leaking bottle of perfume, which has partially dissolved the rubber coating. I now have a very sticky emergency radio

Um, I would be trying to get all the sticky stuff off with a mixture of craft knives and isopropyl alcohol (razor blades & cheap gin if the ideal tools not available), and plan to re-case it in first a re-purposed cereal box & gaffer tape (ah, the default template materials for most engineering projects) then Lego and or getting a skilled-at-woodworking family member to build/ carve/ turn/ chisel/ sand me a new case. Or if anyone's been given a 3D printer for Christmas, New Project!

Seriously, get the icy stuff off, mourn lost perfume, and see if it'll work in a cardboard case (mindful it need to be Dry at this stage - the splash-proof aspect May be lost for ever but electricity & water are a Bad Combination)

And if any of our number or friends relatives etc are currently in New York, and have been exposed to the Blue Sky there after the Queens transformer explosion, watch them for developing superpowers? Do also reassure them usual electric power should be restored shortly...
  • You do know the Internet is already wondering if it's E.T. that is responsible for that transformer explosion?:)

Me - I'll just assume it's "the usual" - ie human inefficiency (ie genuine inefficiency - rather than the "inefficiency" whereby various layers of government conveniently "lose papers" they'd rather not have).
  • I have moved my planned freezer defrost date to the coldest driest day this week. All startlingly unseasonably warm!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure