PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    Brilliant post Pauline.
    Fudds can you have Lo Salt? that's what I give the RV who has heart disease.

Oh possibly, i'll ask the heart failure nurse when I see her in Sept. Thanks Mar.
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I've used Lo-Salt as long as I can remember - we had it when I was still living at home as mum had high blood pressure. Normal salt seems terribly salty now in comparison.

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • puttee
    puttee Posts: 19 Forumite
    117pauline wrote: »

How can the EU not have a fixed procedure for countries wanting to leave?

Pauline

Pauline, there is a procedure laid out by the EU, here is a link to the Wiki easy version (but there are other more in depth versions available through a search engine, as well as the EU documentation itself):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withdrawal_from_the_European_Union

HTH
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    monnagran wrote: »
    Or, as a lovely lady well into her nineties once said to me, "Everything in moderation dear. Except chocolate."

Great grandfather Witless avowed he was both a non smoker and a non drinker.

He was a non smoker as he didn't hold with they newfangled cigarettes and a two ounce plug of Warhorse pipe tobacco lasted him more than a day; likewise he was a non drinker as he didn't go to pubs - he only drank at his own fireside or at wakes and never opened the second bottle of whiskey any day.

;)
  • :rotfl: monnagran & witles, don’t you just love the older generations :rotfl:

Have made my lists - Food, Clothing/linens and useful items to have. Today DH & DSis went out for gravel for the shed base & were handed a shopping list for meat for tonight’s dinner + the start of my stockpile of tins, teabags & coffee. Unfortunately I am pushed for space so I need to resume decluttering in earnest :rotfl: but my decluttering mojo is currently AWOL :rotfl:

Am really pleased that the political ‘stuff’ is waning and that we are back to prepping - I need all the advice I can get :rotfl: as apart from toilet roll & trying to keep the freezer full I have never really been a prepper, I usually just muddle through :D However since joining the MSE OS Forum, I am finding that prepping is leading me towards a calmer & less stressful way of living :) So thank you all for your words of wisdom & helpful advice/information :T

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £43.00
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £??; May £??; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    It's just not easy deciding what we might actually run short of - and this annoys me!
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's just not easy deciding what we might actually run short of - and this annoys me!

Peanut butter? Do we grow any peanuts at all here? I think I read that the beans for baked beans are grown elsewhere too. I am just a single person so I don't need huge quantities of washing powder and cleaning stuff, but anyone with a family I think should have a month's supply of that, or more if space will allow. There will doubtless be all sorts of scare stories in the media (remember sugar and toilet roll crises?) which become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Peanut butter? Do we grow any peanuts at all here? I think I read that the beans for baked beans are grown elsewhere too. .

Peanuts are not grown in EU, they come from either Africa & or mainly US
    Likewise beans, they are haricot beans, mainly, but not exclusively, from US

Of course they may be processed somewhere in UK, EU, or even China for all I know, it would depend on who manufactures them
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Farway wrote: »
    Peanuts are not grown in EU, they come from either Africa & or mainly US
    Likewise beans, they are haricot beans, mainly, but not exclusively, from US

Of course they may be processed somewhere in UK, EU, or even China for all I know, it would depend on who manufactures them

If nothing else this little exercise will educate us all into what is grown where and processed. All this produce the UK won't be importing (maybe) will create huge surpluses in parts of Europe. It certainly seems like a lose/lose situation in the short term.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • As I have children with disabilities and food issues, I guess I'll be stocking up on a few things that they definitely will eat, so that if the price goes too far up, we still have things they can cope with.

We live in a small flat, so not much room, but I can be creative and build up at least a moderate storage. We do this anyway before winter, in case of illness or inclement weather, so this is really just an extension of our usual winter stock up. I am concerned over power cuts if the weather is too cold (it's March 2019, right?) as they get very painful joints if the flat isn't kept quite warm in the winter, so power cuts might be an issue. No way can we get a wood burner.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    :xmastree: :xmastree:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport