PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Home away problem

I've just booked 2weeks accommodation via the homeaway site, within a few days the house was taken off the site. Alarm bells began to ring, so I contacted the owner and had no replies. I've spoken to homeaway on their chat lines lots of times and decided to cancel my booking, to do this I was told I had to contact the owner and tell him I wished to cancel, which I have done. To which I still have had no reply. I've now had to go to the next level of complaint by giving homeaway all the booking details. I told homeaway I paid via their website and told them I hold the responsible, to which they say their not?. Don't understand that. This booking has cost me $1140 which I can't afford to loose and I have to go to the USA to see my 1st grandson soon to be born in sept 2016. I could do with some help.

Keith Palmer.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    https://help.homeaway.co.uk/articles/Can-I-receive-a-refund-for-my-cancelled-reservation
    what was the cancellation terms?
    note it states that refunds come from the the owner/property manager after they have accepted your cancellation
    How did you pay?
  • According to homeaway terms for cancellations I have untill 2weeks before arriving to entitle me to a FULL REFUND. I'm being given a runaround from homeaway UK. They have transferred me to their USA team and I've also contacted my bank who seem to be helpful at this early stage.
  • jvak
    jvak Posts: 4 Newbie
    I've had a similar problem. Booked apartment in December, went to pay balance (not due till Aug.) but checked to see apartment before paying balance - it wasn't there.
    Contacted Homeaway & owner.
    Owner responded that apartment no longer available & would refund deposit.
    Homeaway responded "You may be eligible for reimbursement for your loss through our Book with Confidence Guarantee. You can review the terms and conditions of the program here.

Although your payment may have cleared, you must attempt to recover your funds through your financial institution. If your financial institution is unable to assist you, obtain a signed letter from them indicating they are unable to recover your funds. This letter is a required part of the online request for reimbursement supporting documentation.
    "

Contacted card company who are following up as disputed transaction.

Re-booked another apartment with HomeAway, deposit taken from card, homeowner then cancels final payment saying I need to pay in Euros in cash when I arrive for balance & deposit. Contacted HomeAway who said I can pay homeowner directly but have no cover. No way given past experiences. HomeAway contacting owner to request they re-open payment request. Lets see what happens...

Any further thoughts/ideas anyone?

I thought HomeAway would work on an Escrow basis but apparently not.
  • Ghastly money grabbing company who are absolutely no help when things don't go to plan. We advertise our overseas villa with them,not through choice but because they took over Owners Direct, which did what it said, you booked directly with the owner! However with H &A as a villa owner when we get bookings we don't get the guests e mail or contact number until they have paid a deposit, so any initial queries are not ironed out before booking. We also don't get the balance of payment ,due 8 weeks before departure until guests have been in the villa 5 days.
    I wish you well but don't hold your breath, they are very unhelpful when dealing with them.It might be worth finding who the CEO is and bombard him with e mails. Good luck.
  • jvak
    jvak Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thanks for the prompt response from the Homeowners experience. Pretty sure we've used Homeowners direct when we went to Florida. Went well - turns out we rented the Vila from a local couple to us so we get to meet up before we went.
    The response I'm getting from HomeAway implies they have forwarded the deposit to the homeowner so puzzled by you saying you don't get the balance till 5 days after renters are in. Do you get the deposit or do they in fact hold it?

I told homeowner I was prepared to pay cash for the apartment on the day - i.e. we check it first, but not the substantial deposit in Euro. I don't want to be in the situation that only his agent is around when we leave & they don't have the deposit - plus Euros are no good to me when I return & I don't fancy getting ripped off by street cash exchanges. Have provided contact for them to obtain references from other rentals but not received any response.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This thread really belongs on the overseas holidays board here as a warning to others.
  • koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Why are people still booking this way?
  • koalakoala wrote: »
    Why are people still booking this way?

Which way do you suggest?
  • We do get the deposit but all of H&A charges are deducted from this. They then hold the balance due for virtually 9 weeks before we see it. We can't get in touch with the guests until the deposit has cleared. We do advertise on other sites but apart from a few they are huge conglomerates which work the same way as H&A.. We try and direct guests to the sites that don't charge but it is difficult as all e mails are vetted by H&A. The only good thing is we get a lot of repeat bookings and as they have our details they can book with us direct. A lot of the time as an owner we have no idea what is going on, they send guests e mails on our behalf which we know nothing about. They are truly awful!!
  • On arrival in Tenerife we were told our booked villa via Home Away,was 'unavailable due to a flood'. Alternative accomodation was founthat was well below quality and in fact the original appeared to be occupied by holiday makers. The owner refused to refund us, HomeAway refused to assist, saying it was not their responsibility, and Halifax refused a clawback as by booking with Home Away, we had booked through a 'third party'.
    BEWARE of Home Away and always check who you pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure