Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hello,lovely ladies..

Quite chilly here today. Too cold for sitting in the garden.

Decided to skip acupuncture today, just couldn't face it. :rotfl: feeling a bit delicate today, probably just stress so I am having a quiet day. Not sleeping too well at the moment.

I have already been shopping, I had let the freezer and cupboards run down in anticipation of moving next week. So I had to get some food in.......

Maman.......this is definitely going to be my new mantra with clothes...no more "it will do". No it won't do, if I don't love it then I'm not buying it.

In a few weeks, when autumn bites, I am going to get rid of most of my summer wardrobe.....just keeping a couple of my absolute favourites. I am happy with my winter clothes because I did a big declutter at the beginning of summer.

SUgarbaby.....I too am a bit bemused about you and Wayne......but as long as you are happy my dear. I agree, just enjoy. And wow.....to being a grandmother. Congratulations.!!!

Not sure about this weekend. Was supposed to go over to see my grandson today but tbh I don't really feel up to it (just want to be quiet today). However, we are having a family gathering on Bank Holiday Monday so I'm happy enough to just take it easy for a couple of days until I feel better.

I might go to the cinema and see Christopher Robin on Sunday. I'll just see how I go.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hope things work out this time, Sugarbaby.

So today was our day out. Lovely lunch with Himself in town. Clothes, hair, skin, etc all looking good BUT the weight is just not coming off. Entirely my own fault. Nobody is forcing the food down my throat. I know what I'm doing wrong.
    Like a little (big) glass or two or three of wine, Not good for the health or the waistline.
    Incredibly sweet tooth. Ditto.
    Love bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. Not bad in themselves but I eat far too much of them.
    Hate exercise (apart from walking).
    So it's up to me. Nobody else can do it for me. Five weeks to my holiday. I will make a dent in this!
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Toni good luck with your weight loss. Keep it up, even if it takes a few attempts.

Maman whats the final verdict on the culottes?

Sugar lots of news from you. Congratulations on the new addition to your family.
  • Got called "glamorous" the other day:D

I don't merit that word imo yet - but aiming to do so. Though the word "elegant" will do nicely as well.

Wearing earrings more than I did. Had put a nice skirt on (real size 12 - but it's stretched to fit label size 16). Shame really - as it'll have to be binned once I'm back to real size 14.

It took me long enough - as I struggle with periods of feeling "down" and then buy myself a glass (or two) of wine and/or CBA re food. But I've finally gone onto a diet proper (the old Slimming World Green Plan) and I can feel the weight starting to come back off.

Maybe as the excess weight comes off my face and I know I will see nice cheekbones again I might summon up the nerve to wear eye make-up again.

Going to be replacing a couple of items of gold jewellery (one stolen ages ago, one broken more recently) when I go back for a visit to my home city - as I do like to always be wearing a few items of "real" jewellery - but havent for some time.

Slowly slowly catchee monkey. LL - I've decided who I think is a good "role model" for me - Meryl Streep:)
  • Moll wrote: »
    Our bungalow's name is in memory of the aunt who left me the inheritance. It is called 'Tavera' (Ta Vera).

aww thats lovely and a brilliant play on words

I didn't know my Aunt Vera very long as I was adopted as a baby and only found my birth Mother and Aunt in 2012. Vera died at the start of 2015.

However, she was a very sassy old lady, in her 90s. She had no children of her own, only a niece by marriage and when I came on the scene she called me 'her own niece' and gave me a watch and a bracelet. The bloodline obviously meant a lot to her and her sort-of-nephew who looked after her told me after I knew about the inheritance that not long after I had come on the scene, that she asked him to take her to the solicitors to change her will. She made me residuary legatee, with my mother (her sister) and also left my husband and son a sum of money - in my son's case it was equal to a year's wages!

This all came as a complete shock to me and the niece by marriage was not happy about it (even though she was left a substantial sum). The money enabled us to pay off the mortgage we had taken out on the bungalow (so that we could buy it without selling our house). We could renovate it and move in at our leisure, then sell the house. We also bought a flat as an investment and a static caravan holiday home.

Hence the name of the bungalow. Ta Vera and God bless.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 August 2018 at 8:22AM
    Well done Money.....See this fabbing malarkey does work. :rotfl:

Meryl Streep....great role model. She is aging well, mind she always was a beauty. She changes her look regularly too, not just for film roles but also in real life so although basically a "classic" look she keeps it up to date and relevant. My cousin is her doppelgänger. She is now 63 and is still gorgeous.

Toni.....try not to worry too much about the weight loss, just keep at it and eventually you will start to notice a difference, in the meantime just keep doing what you are doing. You are making fantastic progress.

Well I had a rough day yesterday.......felt really grim. Probably, Delayed stress from all the house moving problems etc. Hopefully I shall feel more sanguine once contracts are exchanged and it's a done deal.

Prolonged stress really does awful things to the body. I had been feeling really well and had been off the stomach meds for months. But this week it all flared up again. Anyway yesterday I just did very little, ate simple easy foods, little and often rather than larger meals, so as not to overload my system and took OTC meds as necessary. Touch wood I feel a lot better this morning,

Feeling Down.....I think we all get this, even those who of us who have no real issues or worries. Yes, even an eternal optimist like me .....I have my moments too. . Even now, 4 years into widowhood, I still dip from time to time. I think it's only natural and quite normal. Yesterday when I felt ill I really felt quite low, missed my husband and ended up shedding a few tears.

How do you all deal with "down" periods. What works.

I start by telling myself it's only temporary and that this too will pass.

But I do think it helps to have some coping strategies in place. A glass of wine or three is fine for the occasional low evening but it's not really a viable long term solution.

I know that winter can be a bit of a trigger for me.... I don't suffer from SAD as such (my mum did) but I do find I can get very fed up with consistently dark gloomy days. I find a bright winters day is ok but when it's endless grey skies I can feel my energy levels dipping. It never bothered me when my husband was alive and well - he could brighten up the darkest day .....but I do feel more vulnerable to melancholy now that I live alone. It is something I do have to try and guard against.

One of my coping strategies is that Danish word "Hygge".......so I hunker down and get cosy. Warm house, proper food, throws, candles, books, a stack of nice DVDs or prerecorded films and tv programmes. And I wear a bright colour. Usually red or a deep mustard. Just a silly psychological trick but colour does seem to help. When the weather allows I get out and about, meet friends for a coffee or lunch, mooch round the shops. If I have nothing planned then I go for a walk as long as it's not slippy underfoot.

I am going to buy some snow gripper things for shoes this year. I really don't feel comfortable walking on snow and ice.

I think it often pays to remember that low times really are normal and that we cannot be on a "happiness high" all the time, it's just not sustainable. And, as the old wisdom has it, you have to experience the lows to enjoy the highs.

I think the trick is to ride out the lows, using whatever means we have but without pressing the self destruct button. For me I have learned that sleep is my best weapon both in the fight for good physical health and emotional well being.

Everything looks better after a good nights sleep. ;) or an afternoon nap. Lol.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That's a lovely story about your Auntie 7DW. It's great to read about something good happening.:A

chanie wrote: »
    Maman whats the final verdict on the culottes?

I've hung them up and they are improving. I keep meaning to take them into the bathroom for the steam to help but I keep forgetting.:o
    Going to be replacing a couple of items of gold jewellery (one stolen ages ago, one broken more recently) when I go back for a visit to my home city - as I do like to always be wearing a few items of "real" jewellery - but havent for some time.

I'm not good with remembering jewellery. I wear gold bangles every day (never take them off) and my grandmother's wedding ring and a basic watch and that's it. Just lately I've been trying harder. I've got a number of inherited gold dress rings with various stones which I've been wearing when I'm going out for meals etc. That's one at a time of course!:D Plus I have a 'charm' bracelet similar to Pandora (actually Troll beads) that I wear occasionally. It's in shades of brown so goes with most things.

Good to hear that the old Green plan is working money. I must say that following the plan does make me feel good. There's the obvious weightloss/maintenance but also the foods I eat (especially lean protein and vegetables) are really good for health in all sorts of ways. I recognise the 'glass or two', that's my downfall but I try to be very disciplined with myself and limit it to treats at weekends.;)

Glad to hear you feel brighter today LL. I'm determined to have a plan for the winter months. I get frustrated if I don't keep myself busy. The trouble is the less I do the less I want to do and then I hate myself for wasting time! All ideas welcome.:)

Football today. The weather's good here. Bright and reasonable warm, so it'll be smart casual in team colours.:D
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    I am going to buy some snow gripper things for shoes this year. I really don't feel comfortable walking on snow and ice.
    LL - I bought these some year's ago from an outdoor shop when I was on holiday. They were quite expensive but worth every penny. The ones I have are chains and they really grip the ice.

Thank you for the support, ladies. What a lovely group you are!

I don't want to obsess about my weight but since everything else is going well and I'm getting into a routine I think it's the next thing to concentrate on. I want to be sensible about it though. Make changes to eat more healthily but still enjoy what I eat.

Today we went for a three mile walk. I had fruit for breakfast (I don't usually eat anything at breakfast time which is not a good idea), tomato and mozzarella salad for lunch and we're having salmon and steamed vegetables (which will include some small potatoes) for dinner. I like all of that. Just need to have the willpower not to give in to chocolate.

Himself has just made me a gin and slimline tonic (small gin and big tonic). That is all the alcohol I am drinking today.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    LL - I think your coping strategies are excellent for 'down days' . We all get them in one form or another - I don't always cope well with the long dark days of winter but try to distract myself one way or another. Time with friends is always good as it also gives you something to think about when you get home too.
    Sugar - congratultions!
    TF - I think that adjusting your diet is far more effective than restricting it, that way it's more likely to be sustainable.
    My sailing ended up a 3 day trip - no fabbing done other than moisturising! When I got home yesterday I had a lovely bath and today have recoloured and conditioned my hair so feel somewhat more human. Salt laden wind is not good for skin or hair!
    Nipped in to my local CS and got some nice soft touch jeans - they're too short but I bought them to make into cut offs. I also found a lovely 'crinkle' overshirt in a fuchsia pink - will be good on holiday. Both at £2 each.
    Enjoy the weekend chums
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    Moll wrote: »

I didn't know my Aunt Vera very long as I was adopted as a baby and only found my birth Mother and Aunt in 2012. Vera died at the start of 2015.

She obviously loved you a lot , I also was left a house as a inheritence from my Uncle . Complete shock . as i never ever expected it to come to me , and other family members were fuming. and still bitter about it , But my Uncle actually wrote in his will that he was leaving it to me because i had been there for him , and his own family was not . ( He was my Aunts husband , so not my own blood line if you know what i mean ) , Its been a life changer and a life saver for us , and im sure you know what i mean , Weve been very blessed by the kindness of others
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure