Add your feedback on energy supplier Tonik

Comments

• Blackdog
    Blackdog Posts: 459 Forumite
    AmateurMS wrote: »
    Hi. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences about Tonik. I look forward to signing up with them in coming days. Can someone explain how a referral code works? Also wouldn't mind receiving one, if possible. Appreciate.

Tonik have a 'refer a friend' scheme where you can send a link to a friend to click on or they can use your name when they sign up and both of you get a £20 Amazon voucher. Even if you have already signed up with Tonik you can email them with a name and email address of an existing customer and they will still honour the referral fee for both parties. Seeing as Tonik are one of the cheapest suppliers at the moment this is a great bonus.
  • Dark_Eyes
    Dark_Eyes Posts: 5 Forumite
    About to switch to Tonik, does anybody have a 'refer a friend' link that want to share with me for the Amazon voucher, if so, please DM me.
  • AmateurMS
    AmateurMS Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi. Just signed up to Tonik through referral link courtesy of BlackDog above. Nice one! Hoping for a smooth switch & for the same kind of service. Just a heads up to people looking for referrals. I myself was looking in the wrong place :) Look here, people offering them left & right! :)

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5694919

All the very best.
  • I'm thinking of joining Tonik. If I use BlackDog's link; for the gift card to be received - do I then need to sign up to Tonik directly via their website?
  • ColinB
    ColinB Posts: 70 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I switched to Tonik at the end of March. It hasn't been entirely seamless, so - for the benefit of others - my experience has been as follows.

On the plus side, the gas & electricity has continued to flow and two DDs for the correct amount have been taken on the dates expected, so that's all good.

On the minus side, there have been a couple of anomalies:

1. I looked into my online account just before the take-on-supply date, and was surprised to see the "Live Balance" entry showing a small debit (£0.44) before they'd even started supplying me. The amount is trivial but it shouldn't be there, so I asked about it. Tonik's response was "I can confirm to you that this is a system glitch that will not actually bill you for that £0.44. This is something that the system generates to create a balance. When we take the first payment from yourself you will not be billed for that £0.44 on the account and this will disappear." I'm slightly nervous about a billing system that appears to require imaginary entries and which is going to be very difficult to check for accuracy later if I eventually get a statement.

2. After a full monthly cycle of two DDs being taken, I have still not had a request for meter reads (apart from the initial one for the switch), nor have I received a statement. Another request to Tonik elicited the information that apparently one of my initial meter reads had not been validated (by a 3rd party, the "data collector") and this was blocking the process. Despite the timescale for this validation having been exceeded, Tonik did not seem to have noticed and it was only my message that reminded them that escalation was needed. I realise this isn't necessarily an issue with Tonik, but I'm slightly disappointed that they didn't spot that things were not going smoothly so they hadn't escalated or informed me. I await developments.

So it's not been entirely friction-free, and there are still some issues to resolve. Switching is not a hands-off process, you need to keep an eye on what's going on !
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    ColinB wrote: »
    Switching is not a hands-off process
    Similar story here. Certainly appears to be an issue with smaller providers, but doesn't mean that big suppliers don't make mistakes either. The main good thing about Toniq is that their online chat works. There's always somebody there (assuming they haven't taken too many customers on in the last couple of months).
    I had to shout (a bit) to get my gas reading accepted (was too high for them to accept! -because Iresa had way underestimated my gas AND ignored my reads). After initially saying they couldn't accept my meter read via the chat, I shouted (a little) and they took it...so the system can be bent.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • steveyme
    steveyme Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My experience exactly as per post#6. My electricity has moved to Tonik while my gas has remained with my old supplier (First Utility). For the last 4 months I have been paying the full amount to of combined energy to BOTH companies. Clearly this happens often - the telephone rep guessed what had happened immediately and said this situation is frequent, with the gas getting 'stuck' in transfer.

Tonik's team have been casual, but at least talkative - I have literally been stonewalled by First Utility. Their website contains absolutely no method of contact - only a chatbot which refers you an FAQ.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    steveyme wrote: »
    My experience exactly as per post#6. My electricity has moved to Tonik while my gas has remained with my old supplier (First Utility). For the last 4 months I have been paying the full amount to of combined energy to BOTH companies. Clearly this happens often - the telephone rep guessed what had happened immediately and said this situation is frequent, with the gas getting 'stuck' in transfer.

Tonik's team have been casual, but at least talkative - I have literally been stonewalled by First Utility. Their website contains absolutely no method of contact - only a chatbot which refers you an FAQ.

https://www.first-utility.com/help/More_Help_and_Advice/__ka0D0000000079iIAAfaq/How-can-I-contact-First-Utility
  • don9999
    don9999 Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Am planning to switch to Toniq.

Does anyone want to refer me? Please PM me.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • I signed up to Tonik online, now 2.5 months later I discover the signup process hasn't worked and in the meantime I've been switched to a premium tarrif by my old provider (EDF). This failed sign-up process has cost me an additional £60 to EDF, not a lot, however one would consider as a gesture of goodwill that Tonik would offer a discount for their technical glitch - apparently not. I apprecaite technical issues occur and would have been happy to accept a token gesture, however small. It always amazes me when customer services don't want to engage with their customers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback