Do you run Linux - if not why?

Options

Comments

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    so you download a tool called PuTTY. The whole experience was just garbage and very flakey. You might as well flip a coin to guess whether it'll work as expected or not.
    As a matter of interest, what specific aspects of PuTTY did you find garbage and flakey?
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Linux is never going to become mainstream unless it starts to be bundled with consumer hardware.

Linux is already mainstream in server world. Over 90% of internet servers use Linux as their main operating system.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't read the other replies, but in my case I don't use Linux because, in random order:

1) It's not required for my current job;
    2) Windows already does all I need;
    3) Software compatibility is not as good as in Windows;
    4) Software installation can be a nightmare (or at least not easier than Windows);
    5) If Linux wasn't free very few people would use it (therefore is so 'popular' because it's free)
    6) The vast majority of computers that I buy/use already have Windows pre-installed and all peripherals are compatible (drivers)
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    arciere wrote: »
    I haven't read the other replies, but in my case I don't use Linux because, in random order:

1) It's not required for my current job;
    2) Windows already does all I need;
    3) Software compatibility is not as good as in Windows;
    4) Software installation can be a nightmare (or at least not easier than Windows);
    5) If Linux wasn't free very few people would use it (therefore is so 'popular' because it's free)
    6) The vast majority of computers that I buy/use already have Windows pre-installed and all peripherals are compatible (drivers)
    Software installation can be a nightmare in Windows as well. Like I said, I use Linux everyday and have no issues with installing software. Feel free to point me out some examples.

Wrong. Just wrong. The popularity of Linux goes back years and most people who are committed to using Linux, do it because it offers a shed load of functionality that Windows simply can't/doesn't.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what specific aspects of PuTTY did you find garbage and flakey?

PuTTY itself was fine.... I mean it's not a particularly great example of a Terminal Emulator (although it's a TTY emulator technically), but it worked OK. Touchwood. It's clunky and kind of cumbersome though compared to a TTY experience on Linux.

My main main issues were once again due to Window's inability to enumerate Virtual COM ports in a logical or even consistent manner. In the case of Linux, it'll always enumerate as ttyUSB0 as a device node. No issues, and you can even have multiple tty's going. I do, every day.... on Windows again, that becomes messy and unnecessarily difficult.

Honestly, just try picocom on any Linux machine and then try PuTTY on a Windows machine. Do it side by side. You'll see exactly what I'm talking about it.
  • arciere
    Options
    Software installation can be a nightmare in Windows as well. Like I said, I use Linux everyday and have no issues with installing software. Feel free to point me out some examples.

Wrong. Just wrong. The popularity of Linux goes back years and most people who are committed to using Linux, do it because it offers a shed load of functionality that Windows simply can't/doesn't.
    It's not wrong. It's my opinion.
    I have used Linux in the past and I didn't like it. Not saying that it's worse than Windows, I'm just saying why I don't use it.
    I have been in IT for the past 20 years, Linux has never managed to make me change my mind. No prejudice, just my experience.
    Windows installations have pretty much always been "Next - Next - Next - End". Has Linux always been this simple and I never realised?
  • arciere
    Options
    My main main issues were once again due to Window's inability to enumerate Virtual COM ports in a logical or even consistent manner.
    That's hardly a mainstream problem, is it? I appreciate that Linux is probably better in specific cases, but for everyday uses I have found it to be more complicated and time-wasting than Windows (again, my opinion).
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

As no doubt one of your 'Linux fanbois', I can categorically state that I have not even hinted that you experience those things.

I genuinely wasnt thinking of anyone in particular when i made that statement - its just some of the reasons why Linux say we shouldnt use windows.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    I was doing some work recently and it required the use of TTY, so in Windows, there's no native support for this, so you download a tool called PuTTY. The whole experience was just garbage and very flakey. You might as well flip a coin to guess whether it'll work as expected or not.
    I use PuTTY every day at work, and a fair bit at home. I find it eminently usable. For connecting to remote servers on an IP address : port combination, not establishing a serial connection, admittedly, but it does exactly whatI need.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • And of course with Linux one would never be scammed, surely!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure