Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Comments

• Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I have got an account with BA with all my details on, but they've just washed their hands of it They say that they informed Opodo of the change and then it was up to Opodo to make alternative arrangements for us, as they were the agent.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Was there no indication on the BA website when looking at your booking? I have always spotted BA changes before notified as the affected flight tends to be in bold red text (not sure if it matters but I only book direct with airline)
  • No, nothing. Even the BA guy in Philadelphia confirmed that he could see we hadn't been contacted. Don't know how he knew that ? Also, most of the contact was from Opodo.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    If BA had your contact details there is no excuse for them not to have informed you directly. Check out the ECJ ruling below which confirms this. Make a claim to BA, refer them to the ruling and make it clear that you were never informed of the cancellation. It's up to them to prove otherwise. I don't understand how you were even able to check in and board in Philadelphia connecting to a non-existing flight but that's not really relevant to your claim.

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf;jsessionid=BA29AA60FABF1558B12A5F13E607B4EA?text=&docid=190586&pageIndex=0&doclang=EN&mode=req&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=8969677
  • Thanks. I'll try BA again.
  • Hi,

We were caught up in the Gatwick drone attack so were delayed overnight incurring hotel and food, drink and travel expenses. I know we cannot claim compensation for this. On our return trip, we were delayed for nearly 6 hours because of an aircraft fault. We were told by BA and our travel company we were entitled to EU compensation for this flight. At the end of December, I submitted two claims to BA - one for the overnight expenses and one for the EU compensation - and received email confirmation of both. Within a day or two, BA replied on the expenses claim, agreeing immediately and I received payment within 5 days. On the compensation claim, I’ve heard nothing more. It’s now 3 weeks. I’m not sure if this is normal. Especially give. How swiftly the expenses claim was resolved. How long should it take and if this is too long, what’s the next step? I can’t find any way of checking the status and think I read elsewhere that customer services can’t help with compensation claims.

TIA
    jono
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You should have heard back by now so give them a phone call in the afternoon when they are quieter and they should sort it out there and then.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    JonoMS wrote: »
    It’s now 3 weeks. I’m not sure if this is normal.

With BA, it's not abnormal. I've had a couple of BA claims that were dealt with very quickly (within a week) but another claim took 6 weeks to process. I don't know why the response time is so inconsistent.
  • Hi,
    This is the reply I have from BA. I then asked for a copy of the email they sent to Opodo and that is the second reply. I've pressed them again, but don't hold out much hope : (
    Dear Mrs Simpson

Thank you for getting back to us regarding your claim for EU Compensation. I have reviewed your case can confirm that the information you have been sent is correct.

We’ve refused your claim for compensation because our systems show we told your travel agent who issued your ticket, about your cancelled flight in advance. Your agent should’ve passed this information to you at least 14 days before you were due to depart, using the contact details in your booking. Under EU legislation, we aren’t liable to pay compensation for this kind of situation. I know this isn’t the answer you were hoping for and I’m sorry to disappoint you.

As you booking was made through a travel agent any changes to the itinerary will be passed to them as they are the point of contact. It is their responsibility to pass on the changes to yourself. You may be able to take this matter up with your travel agent and we will be happy to provide documentation to support this where possible. Please use the blue link below to let me know if this is something you need.

I really am sorry that your journey was disrupted and you were not correctly informed so your travel plans could be amended. We value your support as a Blue member of our Executive Club. I hope we can welcome you on board again soon.

Best regards

Stuart McCall
    British Airways Customer Relations Executive
    Your case reference is:18521671

Dear Mrs Simpson

Thanks very much for your email. All of the information, including the dates and times, are contained within your booking reference, which your travel agent has full access to. I'm afraid I'm unable to send it via email.

If your travel agent have any further queries, they can contact our travel agent support line, which will be able to assist them .

Best regards

Craig Devlin
    British Airways Customer Relations
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 January 2019 at 11:22PM
    Alimac65 wrote: »
    Hi,
    This is the reply I have from BA. I then asked for a copy of the email they sent to Opodo and that is the second reply. I've pressed them again, but don't hold out much hope : (
    Dear Mrs Simpson

Thank you for getting back to us regarding your claim for EU Compensation. I have reviewed your case can confirm that the information you have been sent is correct.

We’ve refused your claim for compensation because our systems show we told your travel agent who issued your ticket, about your cancelled flight in advance. Your agent should’ve passed this information to you at least 14 days before you were due to depart, using the contact details in your booking. Under EU legislation, we aren’t liable to pay compensation for this kind of situation. I know this isn’t the answer you were hoping for and I’m sorry to disappoint you.

As you booking was made through a travel agent any changes to the itinerary will be passed to them as they are the point of contact. It is their responsibility to pass on the changes to yourself. You may be able to take this matter up with your travel agent and we will be happy to provide documentation to support this where possible. Please use the blue link below to let me know if this is something you need.

I really am sorry that your journey was disrupted and you were not correctly informed so your travel plans could be amended. We value your support as a Blue member of our Executive Club. I hope we can welcome you on board again soon.

Best regards

Stuart McCall
    British Airways Customer Relations Executive

Dear Mrs Simpson

Thanks very much for your email. All of the information, including the dates and times, are contained within your booking reference, which your travel agent has full access to. I'm afraid I'm unable to send it via email.

If your travel agent have any further queries, they can contact our travel agent support line, which will be able to assist them .

Best regards

Craig Devlin
    British Airways Customer Relations

Hi Alimac65,

The regulations and case law dictate that the airline must be able prove it informed the passenger about the cancellation.

In your case BA informed the travel agent in good time and good faith. However, the TA then let you and BA down. Unfortunately for BA this does not let them off the hook one bit, they are still fully and solely responsible for the payment of compensation despite what they say. BA can then reclaim this back from the TA if it wishes.

Phone BA up in the afternoon, 2-3pm ish, and inform them of the ECJ court ruling supplied a few posts ago, asking them to re-consider their position. If they refuse, ask them for a referral to CEDR and present your case to them, ensuring you quote the above ECJ ruling.

They will find in your favour after the usual protracted time period, unless there is a major miscarriage of justice.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback