The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    £1.92 paid off a CC.

Managed to obtain a working copy of Office 2016 last night for a reasonable price, although still need to obtain a refund for a faulty key that I purchased from a less than reputable site.

On a similar note, has anyone used review checking websites? I got curious last night (was buying a night light from DD, but feedback looked suspect) and it transpired that the reviews were very likely to be fake! Not something I would have thought necessary in the olden days, but it appears there's a lot of cheap Chinese tat being marketed as fantastic innovations on Am@zon et al. ;)
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Unfortunately the fake reviews are a big problem on Amaz@n certainly and probably other sites. There's been quite a bit on the various forums about this; positive reviews being paid for and poor feedback being removed by 'insiders' working for the company - for a price :mad: Not good for customers or honest sellers. Also sometimes its not clear that a seller is based abroad so always worth looking closely at estimated arrival times of goods.
  • edinburgher
    @teapot2 - yes, I can't abide items where the place of dispatch has been masked so that you can't see it's non-UK.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Yes, this malarky seems to be getting worse.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • @teapot2 - yes, I can't abide items where the place of dispatch has been masked so that you can't see it's non-UK.

I bought something from amazon that subsequently broke, the sellers said they’d refund or replace only if I gave their product a 5* rating.....needless to say. I didn’t. To be fair to amazon they refunded me in full and removed the seller.

Bet they appeared under a different name 15 mins later though..
  • beanielou
    I bought something from amazon that subsequently broke, the sellers said they’d refund or replace only if I gave their product a 5* rating.....needless to say. I didn’t. To be fair to amazon they refunded me in full and removed the seller.

Bet they appeared under a different name 15 mins later though..

Sadly I would not be surprised.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• edinburgher
    £1.29 paid off a CC.

Happy weekend fellow freedom seekers :beer:
  • beanielou
    Have a happy weekend :)

• edinburgher
    £1.09 paid off a CC. Grind, grind, grind!
  • beanielou
    This time of year does seem to be grind, grind, grind :(

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback