PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

(Inherited money)want to buy a house-very poor credit

Hi, I am married with 3 children have recently inherited £100,000 from my grandma.I am currently private renting but really want to buy my own house but unfortunately have very poor credit to be able to get a mortgage. I am Ideally wanting to put about £60,000 of it towards a house ,however really don't know what my options are ,any advice appreciated.

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    why not put the £100k towards it
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the lender decides you are a poor risk for a big mortgage you might be less of a risk if you have a bigger deposit? Find a broker.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    It really depends how much houses are that you want and your income. Assuming you have very poor credit maybe work on something along the lines of 2x salary, and anything else you get could be a bonus.
  • Seek professional financial advice, people who come into large amounts of money not earned usually end up poorly managing it (despite best intentions), this is a good opportunity for you and your family.
  • Where are you in the country..many places you could buy a solid terrace for 80k!!
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    chanz4 wrote: »
    why not put the £100k towards it

Assuming the OP doesn't already have a decent savings cushion I'd suggest they want to keep some back in case of urgent repairs, boiler breakdown etc.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    What about your husband?

You say you have poor credit - what does that actually mean, low credit score or lots of missed payments and defaults?
  • I have poor credit which is accumulated by missed payments,ccjs and other unpaid debts ,purely down to struggling financially.Obviously the first thing I want to do it pay all my debts ,which is roughly £4,500.I am currently a student and work bank hours so only earning roughly £300 a month and my husband only earns about £850 a month,So really doesn't put us in a good position for a mortgage even with a large deposit I wouldn't have thought.However we are in Lincolnshire and house price are very reasonable.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    You are likely to only get a very small mortgage.

How far will your money go? I agree with paying off your debt but that leaves you with 95 k, why have you decided to keep aside another 35k? 10k for a rainy day i understand, but 35k?
  • Initially I was thinking maybe a shared ownership property would be a option, which would allow me to pay debts, buy new things for house ,get an extra car(we really struggle with 1 between us),have some to play with, then obviously saving some for a rainy day ,However if I was able to get a mortgage I would definitely want to put a lot more towards a house no question about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure