Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Paxton1978
    • By Paxton1978 12th Oct 19, 3:12 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Paxton1978
    Credit card late fees
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:12 PM
    Credit card late fees 12th Oct 19 at 3:12 PM
    Hi all,

First time poster, so hope this is in the right place. I recently took out a zero-percent interest card and fro the first two months the payments were 3-4 days late because the payment due date hadnít been set up correctly. Iím challenging them, but am about to apply for a mortgage and wondered whether these late payments would affect my score considering they were only a few days late?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 12th Oct 19, 3:22 PM
    • 6,777 Posts
    • 4,529 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:22 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:22 PM
    How were the payment dates not setup correctly?

They tell you what the dates are.
    • Paxton1978
    • By Paxton1978 12th Oct 19, 3:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paxton1978
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:31 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:31 PM
    Iím convinced I changed the date online after the fact, but apparently this change didnít go through. As I say, though, the main worry is how this affects my credit score
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 12th Oct 19, 3:37 PM
    • 31,014 Posts
    • 19,022 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:37 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:37 PM
    I’m convinced I changed the date online after the fact, but apparently this change didn’t go through. As I say, though, the main worry is how this affects my credit score
    Originally posted by Paxton1978
    It will affect your credit history badly, in terms of a mortgage application.

Each of the two statements you received have told you the respective payment due date. A mortgage lender will wonder why, having slipped up once, you slipped up again the following month. Do you have an answer ready for that question?
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 12th Oct 19, 3:39 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    Socajam
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:39 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:39 PM
    YorkshireBoy - Like you I am perplexed too, because on the statement it clearly states the date payment is due.
    I always pay my credit card a couple of days early to ensure that it arrives on time.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Oct 19, 3:56 PM
    • 21,511 Posts
    • 15,770 Thanks
    molerat
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:56 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:56 PM
    Therein lies the problem. Manual payments are subject to the vagaries of the various systems in place and may take several days to be applied to the account. Always set up a direct debit for at least the minimum payment. That way there can be no issues with late payments, you may get interest charges but they unlikely as severe as late payment fees and will not affect your credit file. If you insist in making manual payments I suggest you do it about a week ahead of the due date.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 12th Oct 19, 4:49 PM
    • 3,885 Posts
    • 2,138 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 12th Oct 19, 4:49 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 4:49 PM
    What do you mean the payment due date had not been set up correctly?
    What yo you mean when you say that you changed the date online? How do you change a payment due date online? Please clarify.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 12th Oct 19, 5:54 PM
    • 6,777 Posts
    • 4,529 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 12th Oct 19, 5:54 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 5:54 PM
    Not many places (none that I know of) allow you to change the payment date yourself.

You usually need to call or use their live chat or messaging system.

Who is the card with?
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 12th Oct 19, 7:45 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 4,140 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 12th Oct 19, 7:45 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 7:45 PM
    I think what happened is that the OP set up a Standing Order instead of Direct Debits. The OP, when setting up the SO, failed to confirm the due date and therefore failed to ensure the payment was received by the card issuer before the due date.

@ OP - Please confirm what happened. If my assumption is correct, then you could request a refund of the 2x£12 late payment fees as a goodwill gesture. You would have to accept the blame though and acknowledge it was your error that caused the problem. I doubt whether the card issuer would extend the goodwill gesture to remove the late payment markers on your credit file. After all, they have a duty to accurately report the conduct of your credit account.

In addition, because your payments were late, that should mean your 0% APR promotional window will have been revoked. You could try the goodwill gesture with this too.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,052Posts Today

8,481Users online

Martin's Twitter