Holiday cancellation and insurance claim

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm curious who OP has cancelled with. Is that just by telling the lead person of her intention? We don't know if this is a booking with a travel company or DIY but I wouldn't think a company would deal with other than the lead. We need more information to advise with any certainty.
  • This post confirms why I think it is never a good idea to book holidays on behalf of other people - if they want to travel with you give them the details and let them do their own booking.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    This post confirms why I think it is never a good idea to book holidays on behalf of other people - if they want to travel with you give them the details and let them do their own booking.

That's exactly what we intent to do. We may be travelling with other family members, a total of 4 couples, but I intend to make my own bookings. That way I decide our baggage allowance, what meals we want, where we sit etc. We also have the freedom to choose a different carrier if we so wish, as long as we end up in the same place.
  • This was a flight and hotel holiday put together by an online based travel agent. Of course the lead/group is aware of my intentions. The group booking has many flaws due to the incompetence of the agent we used imo and I am not the only family querying options to either change/cancel. Plus this change on the agent/airlines part is one of many since we booked earlier this year costing me an additional £200, however this last one is impacting my work. As I am cancelling one booked room (not sharing with other parts of the group) and flights were cost price, there is no impact to the rest of the group.

Back to the question at hand....

The focus of the question is whether I can claim on my insurance (whether upheld or not and for whatever reason of which I don’t need comment on) would it be impacted by the fact I didn’t directly pay for my deposit, it was the lead passenger.

I’ll speak to my insurer.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

The focus of the question is whether I can claim on my insurance (whether upheld or not and for whatever reason of which I don’t need comment on) would it be impacted by the fact I didn’t directly pay for my deposit, it was the lead passenger.

Just because the travel plans no longer suit your requirements is not going to be covered by your travel insurance!! Regardless as to who's the lead passenger and who paid the deposit. As someone else mentioned, this comes under "disinclination to travel"

By all means ring them....but be prepared for the answer to be NO!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Maybe we need to adopt the "tell people what they want to hear" approach that another forum user implemented over the weekend.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Maybe we need to adopt the "tell people what they want to hear" approach that another forum user implemented over the weekend.

Now dont you go annoying others on this forum by telling the truth:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!

• The focus of the question is whether I can claim on my insurance (whether upheld or not and for whatever reason of which I don’t need comment on) would it be impacted by the fact I didn’t directly pay for my deposit, it was the lead passenger.

To what end? You've changed your mind about travelling. Insurance does not cover for such events. We don't have cancel for any reason policies in the UK.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    This was a flight and hotel holiday put together by an online based travel agent. Of course the lead/group is aware of my intentions. The group booking has many flaws due to the incompetence of the agent we used imo and I am not the only family querying options to either change/cancel. Plus this change on the agent/airlines part is one of many since we booked earlier this year costing me an additional £200, however this last one is impacting my work. As I am cancelling one booked room (not sharing with other parts of the group) and flights were cost price, there is no impact to the rest of the group.

please update the discussion with the outcome
  • That’s fine as that was the ‘advise’ I was looking for!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure