Money Moral Dilemma: Should we split our holiday refund?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I booked a holiday for myself and a friend, and we split the cost equally. The accommodation wasn't the best, and my friend felt he'd had such a bad experience with dirt, insects and mould that he wrote to complain, explicitly saying the complaint was just from him. The company responded to us both, as I booked the holiday, and refunded 20% of the cost to my credit card. My friend says he should get the full refund as it was his complaint - should we split it?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It can be argued either way. Both were staying in the same conditions so both nominally suffered in the same way. However, if one party didn't have an issue with the conditions and only one was prepared to complain there would seem little justification in the 'unaffected' party retaining any of the compensation.
  • FtbDreaming
    FtbDreaming Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you're friend was decent they'd split the refund. If theu insist on keeping it all then give it to them and you keep the moral hogh ground that you're not a snake.
    Mortgage started August 2020 £69,700
    Mortgage ends Aug 2050 MFW: Aug 2027 
    Current Balance: £60,200 (59.9% LTV)
    MFW2020 #156 £723.13
    MFW2021 #26 £1184.71
    MFW2022 #11 £197.87
    MFW2023 £785
    MFW 2024 £528.15

Determined to make it! 
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Surprised the company responded to YOU (given all that data protection stuff going on). Having said that, the money's in your account now, so, if you're a really good friend, you might just let him have half of it.. despite him not appearing to have a contract with the holiday company....
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Really?
    He complained 'explictly from him'?
    Find a new friend.
    One with better morals.
  • Oxo1
    Oxo1 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would give all the money to him, and then get a new friend
    D
  • Nuadha
    Nuadha Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    He should get it all the 20%. But only on the half he paid. If he is claiming he only complained on his behalf, then it's none of his business if they also gave you a bit of a refund too.

I'd also rethink this particular friendship.
  • Ally3558
    Options
    I feel as your friend complained he should get the refund. I don't feel you could call yourself a friend in all honesty if you don't give him the refund as he did all the work. If you felt as bad as him you would've complained also. I wouldn't want someone i classed as a friend to do that to me and I would just walk away from that so called friend as obviously money means more than a friendship. I am talking from experience and it's not nice to have it done to you.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Ally3558 wrote: »
    I feel as your friend complained he should get the refund. I don't feel you could call yourself a friend in all honesty if you don't give him the refund as he did all the work. If you felt as bad as him you would've complained also. I wouldn't want someone i classed as a friend to do that to me and I would just walk away from that so called friend as obviously money means more than a friendship. I am talking from experience and it's not nice to have it done to you.

Would you want someone as a friend who explicitly complained on his own behalf about something both people experienced?
    Personally, I wouldn't just 'walk away' from that 'so called friend'.
    I'd run for the hills.
    Because to complain explicitly from him obviously means money means more to him than a friendship.
    And...the OP has the 20%. :dance:
    Love it! :T
  • Alexjacka
    Options
    I think if youd have felt as bad about the accommodation you would have complained also. If you're not that type of person I think more fool you because the accommodation sounds terrible!! I think the moral thing to do would be for you to give all the refund to your friend (I'm sure 20% isnt actually that much) and let your friend decide what the moral dilemma is here as they spent the time and had the guts to complain. I'm sure if they hadn't been given the 20% refund youd be thinking what a fool for wasting their time writing the email??
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Give your friend the money. You never know, he might split it with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure