My 25 Months Challenge

Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Sorry it's a difficult time. I like your gratitude list. I am of the persuasion that you get more of what you focus on - so am trying to practice gratitude more. Eg was complimented at work yesterday and today on some design elements and writing I'd done. I find that kind of stuff 'play' not work so find it easy to do - its hard to remember sometimes that what we take for granted about our own abilities - others struggle with.

I think I would also like to say to you - Stripey - practice developing your receiving muscle. Say yes to Mr Socks offer. You deserve positive things in your life - so unless it is going to leave him critically short say yes please - and do something for you. Again all the books I'm listening to at the moment - say that many of us have been taught to give and give until it hurts and then some but never to receive. That's daft. If we want good things to flow to us in life - we need to learn to accept them with grace and say thank you...

HTH (of course I need to apply this to me too!)
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works £11.1K
    3) CC £2.5K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%

• I think I would also like to say to you - Stripey - practice developing your receiving muscle. Say yes to Mr Socks offer. You deserve positive things in your life - so unless it is going to leave him critically short say yes please - and do something for you. Again all the books I'm listening to at the moment - say that many of us have been taught to give and give until it hurts and then some but never to receive. That's daft. If we want good things to flow to us in life - we need to learn to accept them with grace and say thank you...

HTH (of course I need to apply this to me too!)

Aw thank you savings - i've said no now though x

I know what you mean about giving and not receiving - i've been known to give and give and give when it was really beyond my means. However, i was happy to receive - unfortunately, that got vetoed and it would have really helped me out :mad: Goodness there's a lot of upset in me that i need to let go of :o do your books give any advice on that? :o

Gosh thinking of that really does bring home how i need to focus on me, us and our famly home - despite others saying they will do things for me / help out etc i have been consistently let down and that has caused me much upset - especially when i need to sit there and smile as they happily tell others how they'll do anything for me etc. A bit of distance is a good thing and i need to focus my energy not on the past and others but on me now and going forwards x
    Mortgage Balance
  • Popped in to update on todays activities, or lack thereof. Again, very very rundown today so am taking it as easy as i can, especially with the knowledge next week in work is going to be extra busy.

Looks like i got lucky with the shops i picked up to do (despite extreme low value) as currently have just 2 to do.

making soup and looks like i've so much veg that it will be about 16-20 portions to make :eek: Note to self - it is good to accept free veg still don't forget this :rotfl: making things easier for myself by deciding the veg doesn't need peeling = less waste :T

Pots to clean in a mo and will chill for a bit with a book and maybe a bit of sport on tv.

Living room is cleared :T Except for letters needing filing which live in a file behind Mr Socks things so i can't get there at the moment.

HOME

I really, really, really want to view the house i've seen online - to see if i want it as much as i think i want it :cool: BUT i am not in the position to do this yet unless there was an amazing unexpected windfall some time soon *le sigh*

Money stuff

No spends today and there won't be.

using up veg and cheap meat i have to batch cook so will cover many meals

Screened out of 7 surveys

Looked for shops - none.
    Mortgage Balance
  • savingholmes
    Is there no way you would qualify for the house online? How much extra would you need? On more expensive properties it can be easier to get money off as just part of the norm... I have to say though when I arranged the last two viewings they asked a lot of questions about affordability.
    3) CC £2.5K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
  • Is there no way you would qualify for the house online? How much extra would you need? On more expensive properties it can be easier to get money off as just part of the norm... I have to say though when I arranged the last two viewings they asked a lot of questions about affordability.

Hi savings thank you for stopping by.
    I am hopeful in 2 years I would qualify for the house online :o Hence all the extras i'm trying to do now. I am also looking so I've an idea as to what is coming up and being sold and at what prices, so i can try and make sure i'm being realistic - i'd also know if something came up in 2 years where i'd really need to push to get it ie bigger garden than the norm - and i am also reminding myself that properties will continue to come on the market. ie in 2 years if there's not much about, there will be.
    I live in a very small 2 bedroom house. I am looking for another very small 2 bedroom house :o Ok I'd love 3 or 4 bed detached but realistically that ain't gonna happen :cool: This is part of why i'm looking so i know what there is and what prices i'm looking at. The prices for what i want are coming in at circa £250,000, This is the price of the house (£220-£235,000 i've looked at a couple but fallen for one) and then a bit of budget, and only a bit, for moving costs and all fees involved etc. With what i still owe here that isn't possible. The new house would give us better living space with a better kitchen - not bigger, just better laid out and a dining room :happyhear Hello dinner parties :D & yes, it would be used, i like to cook and i actually like to have a table to study at - get everything out and clear it away too. We would also each gain a room - I'd have the spare bedroom as an overspill for my things all tidied away so guests could still use it - Hello friends who don't live nearby and have to book into a hotel to come visit us :o and the study would be for my Mr. I can see the whole flow of our lives being so much better in this home :heart2:

I can see where it doesn't meet my 'wants' list as well - no second bathroom, the garden isn't all i'd hoped for but actually, it would be practical for us, no garage / driveway. But these things would be pushing 300k from what i've been looking at. Partly why i want to view it is to see if the pros are really good enough that i can let go of the extra wants :o

I would put an offer in to try and get for less that asking but there won't be much wiggle room if any. When i finally was thankfully able to remortgage i was asked a ton of questions - just :mad: at having to prove i could still pay mortgage if interest rate increased by 7% or whatever it was :mad::mad::mad: Ridiculous - i'm paying higher interest, if i remortgage to you my interest will be lower 7% of the lower amount is more affordable than 7% of the higher amount and i have almost 60% LTV at this point!

Not as angry now as those faces look :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Mortgage Balance
  • savingholmes
    I sympathise - I've always found it weird that you can rent a house for £700 but not buy a house where the interest only payment is £200 without good jobs and or a major deposit. I have paid 6.75% interest in the past. In the 70s just after my parents bought a house interest rates jumped very quickly to 17% or something... Not wanting to lead you astray here - but could you have part of the mortgage on interest only and part on repayment to make it more affordable?

On books - I tend to get books that help me set aside my problems and focus on the positive so I am washing my brain with good stuff. I use Ted Talks in a similar way. Over time I find it lifts and helps change my thinking improving my MH.

A good film to watch is the comedy Yes! by the guy who stars in Ace Ventura - he committed to saying yes to everything and some of the things were dodgy - however it did help him completely change his mindset as before he was a 'no' individual. Balance needs to be struck - but sometimes developing new patterns / rituals help us make changes we otherwise couldn't.
  • :o

Anyway yes, petrol and nothing else.

Had a very long and difficult work day - evidenced by me pouring a glass of wine :eek: but i'm just going to enjoy it so there :p

Worked on budget from payday to next payday. Will do this each month now with the analysis of actual spends. Don't think i'm overspending as petrol is what it is etc. but still a good exercise to do.

No shops nada, nothing.

Yet more soup to make today, and batch cooking to portion up and freeze.

Gave some soup away at the weekend but was actually gifted the same number of meals back - so a bit of a win really and i don't think i can ever fully curb my generosity - especially when i feel i'm just being mean :o
    Mortgage Balance
  • Nichelette
    Nichelette Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry I haven't popped by for ages! I know what you mean about the house situation as we're also in a 2 bed. We are lucky in a lot of ways and I do love our house, I just wish I could double the size then I would never move! I would love a decent sized kitchen and a dining room too which is why I'm trying to hammer the mortgage so much now.

Try not to let your family situation eat away at you. One of my sister's has ME and you sound like you have something similar. I know how much emotional stress and physical stuff exhausts her so try not to be hard on yourself and enjoy your wine :) x
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £207,243.66
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £46,161.46
  • I sympathise - I've always found it weird that you can rent a house for £700 but not buy a house where the interest only payment is £200 without good jobs and or a major deposit. I have paid 6.75% interest in the past. In the 70s just after my parents bought a house interest rates jumped very quickly to 17% or something... Not wanting to lead you astray here - but could you have part of the mortgage on interest only and part on repayment to make it more affordable?

On books - I tend to get books that help me set aside my problems and focus on the positive so I am washing my brain with good stuff. I use Ted Talks in a similar way. Over time I find it lifts and helps change my thinking improving my MH.

A good film to watch is the comedy Yes! by the guy who stars in Ace Ventura - he committed to saying yes to everything and some of the things were dodgy - however it did help him completely change his mindset as before he was a 'no' individual. Balance needs to be struck - but sometimes developing new patterns / rituals help us make changes we otherwise couldn't.

Hi holmes - comp crashed and i nearly missed your post - was glad to retrieve and post what i'd typed.

Lots from the above - my interest was also over 6% :mad::eek::mad: i wouldn't have suitable proof of being able to pay off the interest only aspect at the end of the term.

i have a book to read and i think it's called yes! - will check ;)
    Mortgage Balance
  • Nichelette wrote: »
    Sorry I haven't popped by for ages! I know what you mean about the house situation as we're also in a 2 bed. We are lucky in a lot of ways and I do love our house, I just wish I could double the size then I would never move! I would love a decent sized kitchen and a dining room too which is why I'm trying to hammer the mortgage so much now.

Try not to let your family situation eat away at you. One of my sister's has ME and you sound like you have something similar. I know how much emotional stress and physical stuff exhausts her so try not to be hard on yourself and enjoy your wine :) x

Aw thank you Nichelette x My move will oddly be from a 2 bed to a 2 bed in all likelihood - as long as we get more living space.

i need to factor in blank days for the times i'm wiped out :cool:
    Mortgage Balance
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport