PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Steps towards zero waste - 2019

Comments

• Great idea for a thread, dragonlily! And with one of my "hats" on I can, and do, teach furoshiki/bojagi workshops from time to time; the giftwrap techniques are lovely, but the carry-wraps are wonderfully useful on an everyday basis. Learn to tie one simple bag ("katakake fukuro") & if you carry an old scarf in your handbag, you'll never need to pay for a plastic bag again! (handy link)

I mostly used up old scraps of paper this year, some of them re-used, but also used plain craft/brown paper with potato-printed stamps for two large presents which were awkward to wrap & needed more strength than old wrapping paper could provide. I also blew a fuse at paying £20 for a box of crackers (long story) so made crackers from old loo roll inners & brown paper; all the debris has been stripped of anything plasticky (which may well get re-used!) and added to the kindling for our stove.

Now the "kids" are all young adults we've stopped the stockings (by agreement!) and adopted the Icelandic Jolabokaflod instead, whereby everyone gets a book and chocolate. I made drawstring bags for the books out of old shirts with a glittery thread for the girls and the legs of OH's old jeans for the lads & OH. These were then glitzed up with bits of old Christmas decs - unused baubles & bits of plastic greenery & tinsel, sort of thing, all wrapped in florists wire & pinned on. They looked rather lovely, if I say so myself, and with the decorations unpinned can be used for muddy boots, make-up or whatever.

And for my next trick I plan to make some beeswax wraps, as soon as I can locate some good beeswax! I have plenty of cotton, retrieved from old shirts etc. (Ooh, I do love a 99p rail!) I'll let you know how I get on...
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Hello,
    I'd love to give this a try. I'm generally trying to declutter and cut down so this would be perfect. I have two small children so it has been a bit of a plastic and packaging overload over Christmas but I'm hoping that we can start to rethink a lot of our lifestyle choices in a less is more kind of way. I also want to reduce single use plastics over the next year :)
    Sealed pot challenge 2019 = #82
    Jan 2019 Grocery Challenge = £0/£260
    Declutter 2019 items in 2019! = 0/2019
    Frugal living challenge 2019 =
  • Must check out those Japanese "bags from a scarf":T

I've always carried round a fold-up shopping bag in my handbag for years before the attempt to stop supermarkets handing out plastic bags. But it is difficult to find ones that are stylish/not made from "artificial" type material/etc - and I do have a LOT of scarves....
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I've just opened a new bag of Porridge Oats. Well done Aldi for using paper bags, why can't Tesco do the same?

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Hello all! I am looking for recommendations for those reusable bags for fruit and veg shopping, any suggestions on which ones are any use? I’m also looking for something to use as you storagr along the same idea?
    Sealed pot challenge 2019 = #82
    Jan 2019 Grocery Challenge = £0/£260
    Declutter 2019 items in 2019! = 0/2019
    Frugal living challenge 2019 =
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I got my reusable bags off Amazon Princess MP.

Epic fail on the plastic for us today - we went out for the day, planning to eat lunch in a cafe or pub but couldn't find one we liked. Ended up in the coop buying a pot of hummus with carrot sticks, a pot of olives, a pot of eggs with Mayonnaise and individually wrapped cheeses in a net bag :o:o:o:o

I think we need to plan ahead a little better....
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    You can also buy the reusable net bags from Lakel*nd if you have one near you.

It's annoying when you plan to eat out and can't isn't it? Especially when you end up having to buy stuff in plastic which you were trying to avoid. Hope you still enjoyed your day out.

Denise
  • I've been working on being more environmentally friendly - I bought a few things last year to make packed lunches and eating on the go easier;

- stainless steel tiffin lunchbox
    - stainless steel straws with cleaning brushes and a little pouch
    - cutlery in a pouch to keep in my bag so I don't have to use plastic ones for salads etc
    - stainless steel water bottle
    - unpaper towels to replace paper towels and use as napkins

I also got silicone stretchy wraps that replace cling film and some silicone freezer bags for leftovers, soups etc that can also be used as reusable snack bags and are dishwasher safe. I have the Ikea glass storage boxes with the bamboo lids as well and they look great in the fridge and surprisingly haven't broken any yet despite being very clumsy.

I wrapped my presents in brown paper with Spirograph designs I did on it (saw it on pinterest) and tied them with plain string. Trying to stick to a tight budget as well as reduce the amount of rubbish we produce. Next on my list is to get some mesh produce bags for buying veggies in the supermarket- it drives me crazy buying loose veg and then having to put them in plastic bags to stop them falling through the gaps in the trolley, but then putting them loose on the conveyer seems to cause some kind of issue or complaining from the staff!
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    it drives me crazy buying loose veg and then having to put them in plastic bags to stop them falling through the gaps in the trolley, but then putting them loose on the conveyer seems to cause some kind of issue or complaining from the staff!

I just use a cardboard box cashier takes things out weighs them then pops then back in I do have an old net bag that I use for onions, it drives DH crazy he's weird on the fact that others handle his food, he forgets that I wash and wipe over everything I bring home from the shops, but I guess that some people would think im weird for doing that :D
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Next on my list is to get some mesh produce bags for buying veggies in the supermarket- it drives me crazy buying loose veg and then having to put them in plastic bags to stop them falling through the gaps in the trolley, but then putting them loose on the conveyer seems to cause some kind of issue or complaining from the staff!
    -
    I am just wondering if bags made from net curtaining would be suitable/ possible. The fabric is fairly weightless. I sometimes see pieces of it in the charity shops. Just a thought.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure