Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    andyle
    EON have ruined an excellent credit rating
    • 30th Jan 15, 8:02 PM
    EON have ruined an excellent credit rating 30th Jan 15 at 8:02 PM
    Eon have ruined my credit report with Equifax.
    This company think that they are a law unto themselves. I have requested 3 times that EON put me on a quarterly bill and three times I was told that this had been done (I have taped telephone calls to prove this). Eon to my horror kept me on a monthly bill without telling me and as such have registered 3 late payments on my credit file.

I have reported this to EON and they say 100% they are sharing my data correctly. Eon say that although they agreed to change my payments to quarterly, because they hadn't done this on their system they continued to keep me on monthly and that I should have some how know that this was the case and continued to pay monthly.

Did they not enter into a verbal agreement by telling me on three occasions that I had been swapped to quarterly billing??

I have now contacted the Ombudsman and also Watchdog and now a solicitor to try and resolve this, but it is taking time. I have requested all the data that EON hold on me and will forward this to all parties along with the taped telephone calls.

What is even more laughable is that after lodging the late payments, they then indeed sent me a quarterly bill which I paid the day I received it, and yet when checking my credit report today they have lodged a further two late payments on my report in relation to the bill that was paid instantly.

I spoke to EON and the representative stated that they hadn't dealt with my initial complaints correctly (taped telephone call) and he could see that I was on quarterly billing and that it must be a system error. I have checked my credit report and it says payment terms monthly.

Because this is now with the Ombudsman, EON are refusing to do anything with my case whilst its with the Ombudsman and so its just a waiting game whilst the Ombudsman fight this case that should have been sorted with a single phone call.

I have this week applied for a mortgage and had it declined due to the EON entries on my Equifax credit file. My Experian credit file is 999 Excellent and I have never missed a payment in my life and so I find it criminal that such a poorly organised company should be allowed to ruin peoples credit files and people lives as a consequence.

I hope that BBC WatchDog decide to take this case because it is absolutely about time that someone taught EON a valuable lesson they wont forget!!!

Anyone have any similar experiences or any ideas on this matter please reply.
    Anyone thinking of using EON as their provider should seriously consider alternatives. BE WARNED!!!
    Last edited by andyle; 30-01-2015 at 8:49 PM. Reason: no paragraphs
Page 2
    • philipsamba1
    • By philipsamba1 6th Aug 15, 4:32 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    philipsamba1
    Update
    Just to give people an update, just in case anyone is ever is his position.

I made a complaint to Equifax, Ombudsman, and ICO, at the same time. I also sent them proof of my residency forthe past 5 years. I emailed correspondence, and any supported documentation.

I also requested SARs from EON, but this was never sent. At first they toldme they would send a template which I was to complete and send to their PO BOXAddress. I asked them for the Head Office address, and they refused to givethis to me.

I then sent a letter requesting my data, and information held on me, andsent the letter to two different addresses by special delivery, both included acheque for £10.

This resulted in Equifax removing the default temporarily removing thedefault until they checked whether EON could provide evidence they had providedthem with up to date information.

Eon responded by placing another account onto my credit file claiming theywas providing gas to my present address since 2003 even though I had moved tothat address in 2010. EDF energy was the providers of gas energy to thathousehold from 2007- 2011. Another supplier now supplies us with GAS. This showeda total malicious attempt to lay around with my credit file.

The Ombudsman responded in what seemed like an age with:

Dear Mr Samba1

Your complaint about E.ON

You checked your credit file in April 2015 and became aware of adefault placed by E.ON in 2013. You left the property concerned on 10 February2010, but E.ON has no record of you informing it of this. The account was incredit at the time, and your brother continued to pay bills until November2011. After payments stopped, E.ON placed a default on your credit file.

You later provided evidence that you had left the property, withyour brother taking responsibility for the bills and being unaware of the changeof tenancy process to place the account into his name. E.ON accepted theevidence you provided, backdating closure of the account to 28 February 2010.However, it has refused to remove the default from your credit file, as itacted correctly in placing the default at the time.

Creditors are guided by the Principles of Reciprocity when markingcredit files. The main thrust of the Principles is that data is shared only forthe prevention of over-commitment, bad debt, fraud and money laundering and tosupport debt recovery and debtor tracing, to aid responsible lending.

While I accept that E.ON did act correctly in placing a default onyour credit file at the time, you later provided evidence to confirm that youwere not responsible for the debt. The removal of credit file markings wouldnot mean that E.ON is acting against the Principles of Reciprocity. Therefore,I consider it reasonable for E.ON to remove any adverse credit markings placedafter 28 February 2010, which is when your responsibility for the accountended.

Following the investigation, my decisionis that E.ON should:

-confirm that it hasremoved any adverse markings that it placed on your credit file after 28February 2010.

The Result:

ICO are still investigating them for fraud/theft as they still have notreturned my cheques, even though they were cashed. I evidenced this to ICO,showing they were cashed from my account.

The Default and all accounts that were set up in EON’s name have been permanentlydeleted.

I received letter from EON apologising for their lack of customer service,and blah, blah, blah.

I got my loan at the lowest possible APR, and have managed to buy my familycar. I really wish I had some basis to take legal action against EON.
    Last edited by philipsamba1; 06-08-2015 at 6:04 PM. Reason: Personal details included
    • DMZ
    • By DMZ 13th May 16, 11:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DMZ
    EON Also Ruined My Equifax Credit Rating
    Eon have ruined my credit report with Equifax.
    This company think that they are a law unto themselves. I have requested 3 times that EON put me on a quarterly bill and three times I was told that this had been done (I have taped telephone calls to prove this). Eon to my horror kept me on a monthly bill without telling me and as such have registered 3 late payments on my credit file.

I have reported this to EON and they say 100% they are sharing my data correctly. Eon say that although they agreed to change my payments to quarterly, because they hadn't done this on their system they continued to keep me on monthly and that I should have some how know that this was the case and continued to pay monthly.

Did they not enter into a verbal agreement by telling me on three occasions that I had been swapped to quarterly billing??

I have now contacted the Ombudsman and also Watchdog and now a solicitor to try and resolve this, but it is taking time. I have requested all the data that EON hold on me and will forward this to all parties along with the taped telephone calls.

What is even more laughable is that after lodging the late payments, they then indeed sent me a quarterly bill which I paid the day I received it, and yet when checking my credit report today they have lodged a further two late payments on my report in relation to the bill that was paid instantly.

I spoke to EON and the representative stated that they hadn't dealt with my initial complaints correctly (taped telephone call) and he could see that I was on quarterly billing and that it must be a system error. I have checked my credit report and it says payment terms monthly.

Because this is now with the Ombudsman, EON are refusing to do anything with my case whilst its with the Ombudsman and so its just a waiting game whilst the Ombudsman fight this case that should have been sorted with a single phone call.

I have this week applied for a mortgage and had it declined due to the EON entries on my Equifax credit file. My Experian credit file is 999 Excellent and I have never missed a payment in my life and so I find it criminal that such a poorly organised company should be allowed to ruin peoples credit files and people lives as a consequence.

I hope that BBC WatchDog decide to take this case because it is absolutely about time that someone taught EON a valuable lesson they wont forget!!!

Anyone have any similar experiences or any ideas on this matter please reply.
    Anyone thinking of using EON as their provider should seriously consider alternatives. BE WARNED!!!
    Originally posted by andyle
    I have a similar complaint against EON and against Equifax: Eon "shared" with Equifax my supposed 5 months of being in arrears on payments. So they (unknown to me) put a 5 (Red box) in December 2015, even though all the preceding months in 2015 were Green/OK !!! They said I had cancelled the direct debit in December 2015, and did not re-commence payments until Jan 9th 2016 (ie, 3 weeks later). I also disputed who it was who stopped that DD, as I did not recall doing so, AND EON admitted that they did NOT have a copy of an email that should have been sent to me to notify of a missed payment.

EON's lame and convoluted reason for putting a "5" was that it was 5 months since I had entered into a lower payment plan, so I "owed" them money, which meant (in their twisted "logic") that I was "5 months in arrears" in paying that debt - DESPITE the fact that there WAS an agreed payment plan of whatever type/level in place throughout all of 2015, and ALL of those pre-December payments were made. So, what should have been at most a "1" in the December 2015 box was a "5" in EON's view.

So, I had 3 attempts at a loan refused, and then checked my credit record with Equifax - and got the shock of my life. And after discussing with Equifax, and with EON (who have a neanderthal accounts department, based on their ignorance, stubbornness and recalcitrance), EON says they are within their rights - as THEY interpret their rights, of course - to leave that 5 there as a valid response. I have gone through their Complaints procedure, and the Resolutions person I spoke with admitted that they have had other complaints just like this, but they can't get their accounts dept MULE to change their mind and be reasonable. So, I am off to the Energy Ombudsman now.

To add insult to injury, my complaints to Equifax have also fallen mostly on deaf ears, as they continue to repeatedly parrot back that they cannot change the info that EON shares with them.

But I AM continuing to challenge Equifax for THEIR words "very poor" in relation to "Ability to make payments" !!! And this is due to only 1 (disputed) missed payment (of about £50). And as I have NO OTHER AMBER OR RED boxes on the other 6 credit agreements that I have, this terrible rating by Equifax is due SOLELY to what EON has done to me. Utterly Disgusting.

Avoid EON at all cost. What a load of utterly inconsiderate A******s. And Equifax are NO better, but impossible to avoid them, sadly.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 14th May 16, 12:24 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    GingerBob
    An old thread, but still valid. You say avoid Eon at all costs. Yes, but bear in mind npower and Scottish Power are much worse, and British Gas are bad when it comes to malicious credit reporting. Your safest bet is EDF, who don't report accounts.

As with an increasing number of companies, Eon use credit reporting as a blackmailing tool. The purpose of the credit reporting "industry", for want of a better word, is to identify people who default on loans and so on. It was never intended that companies should use it to bludgeon their customers into compliance, with fear of blacklisting if they don't - but that's precisely what we now have, where the likes of Eon are allowed, indeed encouraged, to defame customers with whom they are in dispute. It is a truly sorry state of affairs and urgently needs addressing with legislation to rein in the CRAs.

I would again encourage everyone that has this sort of CRA problem to contact their MP.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th May 16, 12:31 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    shortcrust
    So many of these stories involve a variation on "I don't recall cancelling the DD". That's how politicians answer questions. I'm sure in many cases the truth is "I did cancel the DD because I didn't want to pay my bill and thought no more about it until I got turned down for credit and checked my report".
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Reporting to Equifax
    I have a similar complaint against EON and against Equifax: Eon "shared" with Equifax my supposed 5 months of being in arrears on payments. So they (unknown to me) put a 5 (Red box) in December 2015, even though all the preceding months in 2015 were Green/OK !!! They said I had cancelled the direct debit in December 2015, and did not re-commence payments until Jan 9th 2016 (ie, 3 weeks later). I also disputed who it was who stopped that DD, as I did not recall doing so, AND EON admitted that they did NOT have a copy of an email that should have been sent to me to notify of a missed payment.

EON's lame and convoluted reason for putting a "5" was that it was 5 months since I had entered into a lower payment plan, so I "owed" them money, which meant (in their twisted "logic") that I was "5 months in arrears" in paying that debt - DESPITE the fact that there WAS an agreed payment plan of whatever type/level in place throughout all of 2015, and ALL of those pre-December payments were made. So, what should have been at most a "1" in the December 2015 box was a "5" in EON's view.

So, I had 3 attempts at a loan refused, and then checked my credit record with Equifax - and got the shock of my life. And after discussing with Equifax, and with EON (who have a neanderthal accounts department, based on their ignorance, stubbornness and recalcitrance), EON says they are within their rights - as THEY interpret their rights, of course - to leave that 5 there as a valid response. I have gone through their Complaints procedure, and the Resolutions person I spoke with admitted that they have had other complaints just like this, but they can't get their accounts dept MULE to change their mind and be reasonable. So, I am off to the Energy Ombudsman now.

To add insult to injury, my complaints to Equifax have also fallen mostly on deaf ears, as they continue to repeatedly parrot back that they cannot change the info that EON shares with them.

But I AM continuing to challenge Equifax for THEIR words "very poor" in relation to "Ability to make payments" !!! And this is due to only 1 (disputed) missed payment (of about £50). And as I have NO OTHER AMBER OR RED boxes on the other 6 credit agreements that I have, this terrible rating by Equifax is due SOLELY to what EON has done to me. Utterly Disgusting.

Avoid EON at all cost. What a load of utterly inconsiderate A******s. And Equifax are NO better, but impossible to avoid them, sadly.
    Originally posted by DMZ
    Hello DMZ and welcome to the Forums.

Sounds as though you're at the end of our complaints process. I agree, as you're not happy with what's been done, the Ombudsman will be the best way to go. Have we sent our 'Final Resolution Offer' letter? This will help when approaching the Ombudsman.

You mention a payment plan. Was there an outstanding balance on the account when payments temporarily stopped? If there was, this will be what we shared with Equifax. I suspect the 5 will be the age of the debt in months at the time of the share. Whilst the arrangement was in place and payments made as agreed, we'll have shared the greens. It's when an agreed arrangement fails that debt follow up starts with the knock on effect with shared data. Usually, we'll only cancel a Monthly Direct Debit where the payment collection fails. Did this happen? Your bank will have details.

I'm speculating quite a bit here DMZ and sorry if I'm out of kilter. Hope the stuff about the Ombudsman is useful though.

Malc
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Rocarro
    • By Rocarro 17th May 16, 9:52 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Rocarro
    To the OP,
    The Ombudsman has been mentioned a couple of times on these threads. I have no experience of dealing with the energy ombudsman but my dealings with the financial ombudsman has left me distinctly underwhelmed. If they're anything like them then don't hold your breath (take a look at my recent thread).
    So, regardless of what the ombudsman says you'll probably want to raise with the 3 x credit ref agencies (callcredit, equifax and experian) explaining that its in dispute/incorrect/being investigated by the ombudsman and asking that they suppress this information in the meantime. Then you'll also want to contact the Information Commissioner's Office (google ICO.org.uk and look for a document entitled 'Principles for the reporting of Arrears, Arrangements and Defaults at Credit Reference Agencies' to guide you ...and them....the person I spoke to at ICO was unaware of this guidance).
    What is depressing about all the above posts is that its entirely within the gift of the company who has placed the default marker on your credit file to have it removed. So, if E.On has accepted the argument (I'd make that point very clearly in your letter to the ICO) then they just need to let the CRAs know that they can expunge that from your file. It seems pretty disingenuous therefore that E.On are saying that they will wait to hear back from the Ombudsman - sounds like they're waiting to see whether they can 'get away with it' or be made to put it right.
    Read that doc mentioned above - it really is helpful!
    • 4885sue
    • By 4885sue 21st Dec 17, 9:13 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    4885sue
    If Eon canít tell you what made them report what can you do?
    Eon can not tell my son what went wrong with his account to make them report it. He has got all the records to show payments were made on time. Telephone staff canít help where does he go from there?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 21st Dec 17, 9:17 AM
    • 24,170 Posts
    • 26,891 Thanks
    zx81
    What appears on his credit files in relation to the account?
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 21st Dec 17, 10:07 AM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    To the OP,
    The Ombudsman has been mentioned a couple of times on these threads. I have no experience of dealing with the energy ombudsman but my dealings with the financial ombudsman has left me distinctly underwhelmed. If they're anything like them then don't hold your breath (take a look at my recent thread).
    Originally posted by Rocarro
    Energy ombudsman is as corrupt and dishonest as EON, I sold a house and despite being in credit have EON chasing me for the buyers bills.

I'm now on a credit blacklist, despite being the one who is owed the money.

A complaint to the energy ombudsman is a complete and utter waste of time.

The only thing it achieved was to get copies of the bills that EON said did not exist.

The process dragged on for months, the case handler simply ignored the problems, did not reply to any of my emails, ignored my offers to supply evidence that the house had indeed been sold and decided that no sale had taken place and that I was responsible for the bills of the people we sold it to, and the people who bought it from our buyers.

EON should be closed down and its directors jailed.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
    • zx81
    • By zx81 21st Dec 17, 10:53 AM
    • 24,170 Posts
    • 26,891 Thanks
    zx81
    I'm now on a credit blacklist, despite being the one who is owed the money.
    Originally posted by Brooker Dave
    There aren't any credit blacklists.
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 21st Dec 17, 8:51 PM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    There aren't any credit blacklists.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Yes there are.

Why would anyone pretend otherwise?

• zx81
    • By zx81 21st Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    • 24,170 Posts
    • 26,891 Thanks
    zx81
    Because there aren't.

Why would anyone pretend there are?
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 22nd Dec 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    tykesi
    You'd think such a seasoned MSE user would be a bit more savvy than to believe in magical blacklists. And also to notice they're responding to a post from 18 months ago.
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 27th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    Yes there are.

Why would anyone pretend otherwise?
    Originally posted by Brooker Dave
    No there arenít.

What there are are records these detail amounts of debt and payments and are sent to and held by Credit Reference Agencies. Lenders use these records along with their personal dealings with you and details on your application to make a decision as to whether they decide to lend or not.

Now it does happen that occasionally the records reported to the CRAs are incorrect and there is a process to get that changed by going through the complaints procedure highlighted by the company concerned.

But there is no blacklist.
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 28th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    But there is no blacklist.
    Originally posted by cjmillsnun
    They are all blacklists, lists of which citizens who should not be employed, provided with utilities at a normal terms, those who should not be rented property and those who should be barred from financial products of any kind.

Could not be any more obvious, astonishing that their PR brainwashing has worked so well.

At least with GDPR, and the right to be forgotten, we can (those of us with backbones that is) erase ourselves from said blacklists.

• Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 28th Dec 17, 7:04 PM
    • 6,941 Posts
    • 4,618 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    At the risk of repeating others - there are NO credit blacklists
    • Victim_of_crank
    • By Victim_of_crank 28th Dec 17, 8:23 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Victim_of_crank
    Gary Dexter
    At the risk of repeating others - there are NO credit blacklists
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    I see you are as accurate here as you were on 'my' thread.
    Which means, very inaccurate.
    My employers had derived a large part of their large income from compo claims against people wrongly on credit blacklists.
    Which therefore exist.
    Perhaps your confusion is caused by your failure to grasp that "credit blacklist" is shorthand for credit histories containing such data that they provide a profile to whom few reasonable people would offer credit?
    Is there an 'ignore' button here?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 28th Dec 17, 8:28 PM
    • 6,941 Posts
    • 4,618 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    That's a credit file. Which is named as such.

Otherwise it would be called a credit blacklist. Of which there is no such thing.
    • takman
    • By takman 28th Dec 17, 11:39 PM
    • 3,785 Posts
    • 3,470 Thanks
    takman
    I see you are as accurate here as you were on 'my' thread.
    Which means, very inaccurate.
    My employers had derived a large part of their large income from compo claims against people wrongly on credit blacklists.
    Which therefore exist.
    Perhaps your confusion is caused by your failure to grasp that "credit blacklist" is shorthand for credit histories containing such data that they provide a profile to whom few reasonable people would offer credit?
    Is there an 'ignore' button here?
    Originally posted by Victim_of_crank
    So you think that anywhere that data or information is contained about someone is a blacklist.
    Using that logic Facebook, Twitter, Newspapers, Noticeboards, Forums and basically any medium that information can be stored about people is a blacklist. You need to look up the definition of a blacklist, a credit blacklist is a specific list (of in this case people) who would be excluded from being give credit. No list exists and a collection of data used to make a decision is in no way a blacklist.
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 29th Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    That's a credit file. Which is named as such.

Otherwise it would be called a credit blacklist. Of which there is no such thing.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    They sanitize the names of things to keep the sheeple happy.

Obviously most people capable of free thought see straight through the scam.

Thus speed cameras are "safety cameras", and CRA blacklists are "credit files"

HTH.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,492Posts Today

7,871Users online

Martin's Twitter