Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ashley0161
    • By Ashley0161 9th Oct 19, 9:13 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Ashley0161
    Low credit score
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:13 PM
    Low credit score 9th Oct 19 at 9:13 PM
    Hi all....

New to the site and forums , so go easy ...

I’ve just returned from living abroad and my credit file and credit score is almost none existent...

I’ve got a new bank account with Lloyd’s , and a sim only contract with three....but I can’t seem to get anything else... (I’ve done a eligibility checker for credit building credit card) and was told my credit score is to low....

I don’t know what else I can do to get my score up????

Any advice ??

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Ashley0161; 09-10-2019 at 9:14 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Page 2
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 10th Oct 19, 3:49 AM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 2,179 Thanks
    boo_star
    Not currently being on the eletoral roll can be a problem. Things may get better when yur name appears there.
    Have you checked to ensure that your Lloyds account and your SIM only contract are actually being reported?
    One thing than can help individuals with a completely blank credit file is to use the Credit Builder option from Cashplus (or similar). This will NOT improve your ability to obtain credit as such and is not something I would generally recommend. However, in a specific case such as yours, it can help to put something on an otherwise blank credit file to bring the file into exisatance as it were.
    Suggest you re-apply for a credit builder card when you are on the ER. You may have better luck.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    They already said they were, keep up Ben!
    • Ashley0161
    • By Ashley0161 10th Oct 19, 7:00 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ashley0161
    Yes there definitely on there under accounts ...Lloyd’s bank and three mobile,...
    • gionnetto
    • By gionnetto 13th Oct 19, 9:55 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    gionnetto
    I did the capital one check, it said credit score to low ...I tried marbles and another one too....all said no 😩
    Originally posted by Ashley0161
    You will need to be fiscally resident in the UK before you are given a credit card! It takes 183 days (6 months). Get on the electoral roll. Check your credit report. As soon as you hit the 6 months mark, apply for a subprime credit card and start building a credit history.

Good luck!
    Your cholesterol levels are not seen, or used, by your heart and arteries, so ignore it.
    • gionnetto
    • By gionnetto 13th Oct 19, 9:57 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    gionnetto
    One thing than can help individuals with a completely blank credit file is to use the Credit Builder option from Cashplus (or similar). This will NOT improve your ability to obtain credit as such and is not something I would generally recommend. However, in a specific case such as yours, it can help to put something on an otherwise blank credit file to bring the file into exisatance as it were.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    I concur. When you are new to the country, it helps.
    Your cholesterol levels are not seen, or used, by your heart and arteries, so ignore it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,873Posts Today

7,188Users online

Martin's Twitter