Airbnb Break-In And Robbery

2»

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    That’s not that unusual. I’ve a Rimowa suitcase. An iPhone X, an iPad Pro and a nice coat that added together probably get close to that. It doesn’t take much nowadays with a bit of tech and a couple of special occasion bits of clothing.

We are talking one night away!!

Surely you would wear the coat and nice clothes out and take the iPhone??

I’m not sure why you’d even need to take the iPad for just 24 hours if you have a phone...

£3k still sounds excessive.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    We are talking one night away!!

Surely you would wear the coat and nice clothes out and take the iPhone??

I’m not sure why you’d even need to take the iPad for just 24 hours if you have a phone...

£3k still sounds excessive.

It's their own fault for having nice things with them? Is that the gist of your point?
  • The window that they broke into had a sash lock on the right hand side, but I understand these are supposed to be fitted in pairs. There was a hole on the left hand side where the other one may have popped out from. We didn’t see one on the floor when we came home, but the Hosts partner came over to secure the window and cleared up afterwards, so if it was there he may have hoovered it up or something
  • The £3k was between 3 people, so we are taking £1k each - basically consisted of £100 bag, Dyson hairdryer, a couple of pieces of jewellery, perfume, some clothes, several pieces of Clinique make up - no phones or iPads - luckily we had them with us!
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The window that they broke into had a sash lock on the right hand side, but I understand these are supposed to be fitted in pairs. There was a hole on the left hand side where the other one may have popped out from. We didn’t see one on the floor when we came home, but the Hosts partner came over to secure the window and cleared up afterwards, so if it was there he may have hoovered it up or something
    Unless you can show the host was negligent, this is a job for your friends' insurance policies. There is no requirement or minimum standard for window security so I can't see how they'd Ben considered negligent even if they'd chosen to only fit one lock. People would soon start to walk away from letting out their properties if they had to jump through all sorts of security requirement hoops.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The window that they broke into had a sash lock on the right hand side, but I understand these are supposed to be fitted in pairs.
    Doesn't matter, they forced entry. Hosts aren't obliged to turn the place into Fort Knox.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    How was access to the property provided?

My brother rents out their spare bedroom on Air BnB ... they have a coded "key safe" in which the house key is kept for Air BnB visitors. Obviously this is a weak point - a burglar could break open the key safe and so access the property more easily. (Fortunately he's has no such issues to date).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure