AMOMA.com Closure and Upcoming Bookings

Comments

• Derekon wrote: »
    I am have booked 5 nights in Barcelona in October with AMOMA.....I emailed the hotel direct this morning.

I’m now on my 4th email to them with a simple question.....is my room PAID or not? All I’m getting is “your reservation is still active”......which I think means NO, they have not received my money and they’re telling me to check in a day or two before I fly.....as if!!! I feel I’m in no mans land.....will VISA credit card refund me for this ?

Derek

I have asked our hotel the same question and they basically said that they didn't receive any money. If we had showed up, and Amoma wouldn't have ceased trading, that's when the hotel gets their money so it's fair to assume that, even though Amoma has our money, they didn't pay the hotels. It's infuriating.
  • if the company has ceased trading , how come they are (24 hrs later) contacting hotels and cancelling bookings
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    if the company has ceased trading , how come they are (24 hrs later) contacting hotels and cancelling bookings

The hotel booking industry is quite complex, with multiple intermediaries on many bookings. Some of these intermediaries probably haven't been paid yet (and don't expect to be paid) so will cancel the bookings.
  • Contacted the apartments and have just received a reply. They know about Amoma going bust but havent heard directly from them. They dont receive payment in advance but they dont know if Amoma have paid their suppliers. Will let me know when they hear something. I want to book something else but cant be sure that my Amoma booking will definitely be cancelled. I paid with a crdit card thanfully, so I should get my money back....
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    emmamcm1 wrote: »
    Should they be thinking of people they don't know losing their jobs or worrying about where they're getting the money from to sleep tonight in another country??

Would rather be stuck away. And have been back when Clarkson went bust in 1974. Not so easy to sort things out than as it is now.
    If you have so little money that you can't afford a delay, then should you be going?

Thankfully now there are good systems in the banking sector to sort these issues out.
    Life in the slow lane
  • I booked a 4 night stay with the Titanic Chaussee Berlin Hotel beginning 27th September. I too got the Amoma email today and have tried to call the hotel and they are not picking up the phone. I have emailed the hotel too and yet to get an answer. So I'm totally in the dark. Shame on Amoma and baffled by this so called 4 star hotel. My bank have opened a dispute so hoping to get refunded via this route.
  • I want to cry. I paid for a 4 night's stay at a hotel through Amoma costing in total £316. All on my Visa Debit card.
    We rung up the hotel and asked if our booking is still there and they said there's been a lot of cancellations through Amoma but our booking now still there at the moment.
    They also said as there's a delay in cancellations over the weekend to call them back during the week to check back in.
    I feel physically sick. I'm never booking through a third party website again.

I don't know what or if I can even do anything as I paid with a debit card for the entire amount.
    Help please! :(
  • I also paid for the whole amount by debit card aswell! Hopefully something can be looked into by either the bank or travel insurance
  • I have contacted my hotel and they have me confirmed that my booking is still fine. They told me that they usually receive payment after check out however. So where is my money?
    I can't help but feel the hotel is rather unlikely to receive money from Amoma.

And I paid in a debit card. Is there any protection with this?
  • I believe most debit cards have some similar types of protection to a credit card, however I've never had to use it. I have contacted NatWest Bank today about this issue and they've asked me to contact Amoma. If they (Amoma) confirm that our money is as good as gone, then the bank can start proceedings to Reclaim the money.
    I think. If we hear nothing, then I guess I can start proceedings too
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport