Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 19th May 19, 7:21 AM
    • 6,578Posts
    • 8,602Thanks
    pinkteapot
    How good is 4G home broadband, really?
    • 19th May 19, 7:21 AM
    How good is 4G home broadband, really? 19th May 19 at 7:21 AM
    We've seen a house to buy that's perfect for us in every way except one. Broadband speed is 1-3Mbps Estate agent said his office has a 4G business service as that's all they could get, and they run 10 computers off it. He claims to get 40 Mbps.

I'm really unsure. We use internet for the following currently (we have 300Mb Virgin!!):
    • Netflix/Amazon Prime
    • Working from home one day every 1-2 weeks
    • Facetime - we relocated so it's nice to Facetime family
    • Open University study - I study and it includes a lot of web use, online tutorials (think online conference call with a presentation) and watching videos

I'm just not convinced 4G internet will be quick enough or reliable enough for this kind of usage. EE and O2 both claim to have a good 4G signal in the area but hubby's mobile is on EE and he had no service downstairs in the house! (I know we could get a signal booster)

I'm aware it's really expensive - we're prob looking at £100/month for the usage we need. Setting that aside though, will it even work?!

Any experiences to share?
    Last edited by pinkteapot; 19-05-2019 at 7:26 AM.
Page 2
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 7th Jul 19, 12:16 PM
    • 27,218 Posts
    • 325,371 Thanks
    davemorton
    I have just signed up for the Smarty instead of getting home BB, seems a cheaper option, and only tied in for a month if it is carp.
    What home wi-fi routers would people recommend that I can put the sim into and are not too expensive please? I am utterly clueless when it comes to these.

Is there much difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones. Looking to buy second hand.
    Last edited by davemorton; 07-07-2019 at 1:01 PM.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
    • Croft12
    • By Croft12 8th Jul 19, 9:08 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Croft12
    I have just signed up for the Smarty instead of getting home BB, seems a cheaper option, and only tied in for a month if it is carp.
    What home wi-fi routers would people recommend that I can put the sim into and are not too expensive please? I am utterly clueless when it comes to these.

Is there much difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones. Looking to buy second hand.
    Originally posted by davemorton

Price usually = features and signal strength. See what you can get a Huawei’s B311-s-220 Wireless Router for... Check the reviews though to be sure it does what you want. Its the router provided with 3's HomeFi.

(I've not used it so someone who has might like to chip in)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,114Posts Today

6,805Users online

Martin's Twitter