PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Steps towards zero waste - 2019

Through 2018 I have been reading a lot about the impact of our waste on the environment. I have made a couple of small changes but seeing our bulging bins at the end of Christmas isn't good! It is a little odd as once you start thinking about excessive packaging you see just how much of it there is everywhere!

I don't think I am going to be able to completely change overnight but every little has got to help, and ironically I think old style ways of living, are well suited to doing this. If anybody else is interested in setting goals to work on reducing waste, buying more consciously and generally being fabulous in 2019 do join in. PS - I did a search for a post about this and couldn't see one, so if I have missed it, lmk and I'll move on over there :)

x

Comments

• Wrapping gifts for people

This year I have been on year 3 of using up the crazy amounts of wrapping paper I had accumulated as I used to buy a lot in the sales every year, and then not even always realise what I had, due to being so disorganised. After present wrapping this year I am down (in christmas paper at least (loads of birthday wrap yet) to half a roll of a red foil coated paper.

However, when I've been buying in the past I just assumed that all wrapping paper could be recycled so that was ok. However, apparently not ..........

https://www.recyclenow.com/what-to-do-with/wrapping-paper-1

The problem is all the glitter, embellishments, dye and foil plus sometimes just being really poor quality. Resolution 1 for this year is to buy less 'physical' gifts and more experiences were possible.

Then Resolution 2 is to switch to paper that is definitely recyclable, and more simple. I suppose in an ideal zero waste wold you would not buy paper at all, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. I have bought our Christmas paper for 2019. My daughter is obsessed with space at the moment so I have got 6 rolls of astro printed Kraft paper that will def be able to be recycled.

00557935_2_1.jpg

Also one roll of silver kraft and one of gold kraft paper, plus some ribbons in card packaging. It feels good to know that whilst not zero waste that next Christmas I'll be able to put all that wrap safely in the recycling.

I've also found a local company that does biodegradable tape in both parcel tape and sellotape thickness, so am going there in the new year to get some of that, and that should end the tape issue.

Furoshiki

I don't know if anybody has tried this but in Japan they often wrap gifts in fabric, which can then be reused. I haven't tried this yet but have found a vintage square silk scarf in a charity shop with a lovely pattern so will give it a try :)

How do you wrap your gifts?

x
  • I don't want to be a killjoy, because I'm with you in spirit and think your efforts are laudable. However I'm feeling a bit confused & disillusioned because I've just found out that our local authority is asking us to put ALL of our wrapping paper in the non-recyclable bins, because it's too labour intensive to go through it all removing bits of sellotape, ribbon & gift tags. That when I'd made extra sure that we didn't buy any with foil or glitter on. I think they incinerate what they can to generate electricity, but even so it's disappointing as we have large wheelie bins for our recyclable waste.
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We are planning to wrap the majority of presents in fabric next Christmas, even hubby is on board as he hates wrapping! This year we used plain white paper decorated with ink stamps which did look lovely :)
    Our waste is generally half our neighbours but we could do better.
    Another compost bin is needed!
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • Well preserved what a shame, although it must be difficult to not get a contaminated load. I suppose a lot of people do put everything in. I bet I have been guilty in the past of putting unsuitable paper in :(.

Smlsave, that is brilliant, you are a lot further on than me!

Love the idea of stamped paper x
  • It is possible to wrap present s using only ribbon, as in former times, before sellotape was invented. Lots of advice demonstrations and easy to find via search engines.

Some methods look similar to the way we used to cover exercise books (in the old days!).

Apparently young ladies used to be taught the art at finishing school, perhaps it will become popular again.
  • I have been awoken this year to the shame of excess plastic. I am very much a minimalist and don’t have a lot of “stuff” per se but have been amazed at how plastic is everywhere!

I wrapped all my presents this year in brown paper and ribbon. Had mostly leftover plastic ribbon which I used up but then also had some paper ribbon and paper tags which I tucked under the ribbon. Interested in the plastic free tape. I used up all the odds and sods in our Christmas card collection which saved buying more. I’m seriously thinking of limiting the number of cards next year.

I painstakingly removed all the plastic tape and ribbon from the paper on Christmas Day so do hope it’ll not be a wasted effort. I always separate waste for recycling but at the same time feel like it’s a bit of a wing and a prayer!

Next year I am definitely focusing on reducing plastic waste, rather than just recycling. We got a lot of Christmas presents that help with our plastic free endeavours: OH and I got lovely new water bottles, I got some amazing bees wax wraps (no more cling film - yay!) We have already gone plastic-free in the bathroom by using solid soap and shampoo but OH got bamboo razors and a shaving soap/brush kit to help that along a bit.

We are in the fortunate position of having a bit of spare cash to be able to spend out on some more expensive items to aid our endeavours but appreciate not everyone can do that.

Next year I’d like to focus on cleaning products (honestly, who needs 10 different plastic bottles for different products when washing up liquid, bicarb, white vinegar and essential oils will do the job?) and food. I had been pretty good a couple of years ago at going to the local butcher and grocers but they are in opposite directions so convenience slipped in and I found myself back at the supermarket - AKA plastic central. Need to review my routine and find out the best way to make it work.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,195
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The kitchen is the one area where we have made the most gains. We invested in lidded pyrex bowls and silicon can covers which have allowed us to drastically reduce our use of cling film.

THESE have been great for cheese and cold cuts

Towards the end of the year I started buying larger pots of yoghurt instead of the individual serving pots. This year I want to take it a step further and get back into using my easiyo.

Once I have used up my shower gel stash I want to switch to bar soap
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Shropshirelass I'll have a look. I'm thinking biodegradable tape might be a good middle ground alongside something like this to avoid needing very much :)

CarshaltonClaret, well done on the present wrapping. I love the pics online of brown paper wrapped gifts with ribbon, and am excited about being able to try it. I'll let you know what the biodegradable tape is like after I have got some.
    Where did you get your beeswax wraps from? I have been considering getting some with my Christmas money to try and make a move away from cling film as we use quite a bit of that and foil.

BTW re cleaning products, I have moved to soap nuts, and white vinegar w/ a couple of drops of essential oil in replacement of fabric softener, It has been about six months now and it works really well. I do also buy an Astonish stain remover bar that comes in a card box to treat any bad marks. The soap nuts are actually pretty good :). I haven't done much other than that. I have bought Dr Bronner's orange liquid castle soap but was a fail for me as my skin really really doesn't like it, even heavily diluted. I am going to use all of this but need to wear gloves. Think I will stick with white vinegar and essential oils in a spray, once all the other products have run out. Have that at least to hand from my laundry efforts lol.

Pavlovs_dog I love that Lakelands dish, what a great idea. Have you tried buying your meat and cheese yet from the supermarket without packaging (from the counter). I have been thinking of going and trying and haven't yet built up the nerve, or thought through how).

I have switched to bar soap, and that is so much more cost effective too. It lasts ages in comparison to shower gel!

x
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,195
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    dragonlily wrote: »
    Have you tried buying your meat and cheese yet from the supermarket without packaging (from the counter). I have been thinking of going and trying and haven't yet built up the nerve, or thought through how).

Not yet as our main supermarket doesn't have a deli counter. We are also intending to cut down on meat consumption in 2019. Don't want to go fully veggie, but eating less meat will help our waistlines, wallet and the environment
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Grouchy
    Grouchy Posts: 439
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I found this interesting and timely from The Guardian
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/29/how-to-live-without-plastic

I've found if I don't buy X I won't have to be thinking about recycling it. And for other things have found substitutes for many things.

As for wrapping paper etc., I stopped buying most gifts (most everyone I know has more than they need) and donate the money to charity instead, everyone has been happy with this in my circle. As for youngsters, minimize by buying book tokens or similar or suggest they buy something they want and I send the money on. For a while, people got used to my gifts wrapped in recycled newspaper.

For me, change has been stepping away from consumerism in tandem with cutting waste, they really go together I think.

Still a way to go for me though ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport