PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Extending a Lease as potential buyer of a property

Hello all,

I'm searching the property market for my first property. I've come across instances where flats are on sale on steep discounts due to their short lease e.g 49 years left. Considering the discount and the premium required to extend the lease (50% marriage value) I reckon some of these flats will be within my budget. Now, in order to purchase the flat with a mortgage i'm aware i will need an agreement for the lease extension. A willing seller will get the process rolling and set up the lease to be transferred to myself upon contract extension.

My question surrounds unwilling sellers who for whatever reason do not want to extend the lease. How exactly do i get an agreement with the freeholder if i know the management company?

What are the pros and cons and Is there any cost on my part? For example a flat that i like is on sale for £130k with 49 years left. How much approximately will a lease extension cost?

Are the chance low that the term of the new lease will be poor?

Is it even worth it as a FTB?

Any experience with the above situation will be appreciated.

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    My question surrounds unwilling sellers who for whatever reason do not want to extend the lease. How exactly do i get an agreement with the freeholder if i know the management company?

You can certainly approach the freeholder and explain that you are planning to buy the flat...

...and see if they will enter into negotiations for a lease extension on completion with you.

They may or may not be interested.
    What are the pros and cons and Is there any cost on my part?

The freeholder will probably expect you to pay their legal costs (plus you'll have to pay your own legal costs).

So, for example, there's the risk that you pay the freeholder's legal costs, then the leaseholder changes their mind about selling the flat to you.
    For example a flat that i like is on sale for £130k with 49 years left. How much approximately will a lease extension cost?

Try: http://www.myleasehold.co.uk/lease-extension-calculator
    Are the chance low that the term of the new lease will be poor?

The terms will be whatever you agree with the freeholder.

If you can't negotiate terms that are acceptable to you, I guess you'd walk away.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You can ask the seller to serve a S42 notice after you exchange contracts then assign that notice to you. This need not cost the seller anything and you then go on to negotiate and complete the lease extension.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Not sure if that will satisfy your mortgage co though.[/FONT]
  • Tom99 wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You can ask the seller to serve a S42 notice after you exchange contracts then assign that notice to you. This need not cost the seller anything and you then go on to negotiate and complete the lease extension.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Not sure if that will satisfy your mortgage co though.[/FONT]

This will ideal, i'll have to speak to the estate agent to see if the seller is willing to submit the S42 notice
  • The other question is how will funding work?

Will the lender lend funds to cover the cost of the flat and lease extension or will it just be for the agreed price of the flat?

If it's the latter how does someone pay for the lease extension if say the seller was able to transfer the s42 notice? Will you just get a Standard Variable Rate mortgage and then remortgage once the lease extension is complete?
  • Tom99
    edited 14 July 2018 at 9:33AM
    This will ideal, i'll have to speak to the estate agent to see if the seller is willing to submit the S42 notice

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If the seller seems reluctant to do that, ask that they speak to their solicitor because it really is Zero risk and cost for them. They only serve the S42 after you have exchanged contracts and they can serve a notice drawn up by your solicitor at your cost.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The big question is whether you would get a mortgage on the unextended lease, speak to a broker.[/FONT]
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 July 2018 at 9:38AM
    If you go down the s42 route, it sounds like you would need a mortgage lender who will lend on a 49 year lease, plus guarantee to lend a further amount for a lease extension, maybe 2 to 4 months later.

It might be very difficult to find a mortgage lender who will be that flexible.

At the very least, I suspect that you might need a large deposit, combined with a reduced payback period, for the 49 year lease.

But you might get better terms once the lease is extended.
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If the seller seems reluctant to do that, ask that they speak to their solicitor because it really is Zero risk and cost for them. They only serve the S42 after you have exchanged contracts and they can serve a notice drawn up by your solicitor at your cost.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The big question is whether you would get a mortgage on the unextended lease, speak to a broker.[/FONT]

If the S.42 is not served until after exchange how does one guarantee it will be served and assigned?
  • Tom99
    If the S.42 is not served until after exchange how does one guarantee it will be served and assigned?

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Both are made a specific term of the contract.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]For example something like this “The seller will serve a s42 notice on the competent landlord in accordance with the attached draft. The seller will assign the s42 notice to the buyer in accordance with the attached assignment document........” [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Both are made a specific term of the contract.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]For example something like this “The seller will serve a s42 notice on the competent landlord in accordance with the attached draft. The seller will assign the s42 notice to the buyer in accordance with the attached assignment document........” [/FONT]

Thank you! Done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport