Add your feedback on energy supplier Extra Energy

Comments

• chas1999
    chas1999 Posts: 97 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2015 at 1:32AM
    Snowbelle wrote: »
    10 months on and still no bill or proper online facility!
    I'm going to work out my bill and try and ensure I am not in credit with them then jump ship. I don't want to get to the summer and start building up a credit and then have trouble getting a refund off them when the deal ends in September.

Good advice, I think.

I jumped ship with the MSE Big Switch effective date mid-December with an estimated £250 credit. Despite requests I'm still waiting for the refund.

I'm starting to think I've lost that money. Anyone had a refund?

I question the viability of this company. There's no web development, no bills, no customer service. They're just taking the money. All classic signs of a company in trouble, or worse.

My advice - If you are thinking of switching to them then DON'T. If you're already with them STAY for the winter whilst your usage is more than your payment but GET OUT in the spring before it's the other way round.
  • chas1999 wrote: »
    Good advice, I think.

I jumped ship with the MSE Big Switch effective date mid-December with an estimated £250 credit. Despite requests I'm still waiting for the refund.

I'm starting to think I've lost that money. Anyone had a refund?

I question the viability of this company. There's no web development, no bills, no customer service. They're just taking the money. All classic signs of a company in trouble, or worse.

My advice - If you are thinking of switching to them then DON'T. If you're already with them STAY for the winter whilst your payment is more than your usage but GET OUT in the spring before it's the other way round.

I am a relatively new customer of Extra Energy and totally agree with the above view.

Their written information says that direct debit payments on account are optional - and so I missed a month (re-stating the next month) and every single day for four weeks (and counting) I have then had a debt collection phone call from one of their 'collection advisors' - even though I haven't had a bill and their own system says I am in CREDIT with an outstanding balance of ZERO.

I have asked for contact in writing only and been ignored, I asked for a bill and was told I would be charged an extra 20p per day (£72 per year) for one.

I just called to make a complaint and got told that my account has been passed to an external debt collection agency (without warning or any written notification) and so I should expect contact from them - as well - all for a grand total of one missed payment - on an account which has not had a bill and which their own online system shows as being in CREDIT.

I was told if I didn't like it I should seek legal advice!

They are rude, obnoxious and extremely aggressive to deal with.

They collect 'debts' without 'bills' and ignore what their own system says because they are desperate for cash at any cost - even if you are in credit.

They are showing all the signs of being a company in trouble as Chas1999 rightly highlights.

If you have a credit with them good luck in getting it back!
  • edward123
    edward123 Posts: 602 Forumite
    and every single day for four weeks (and counting) I have then had a debt collection phone call from one of their 'collection advisors' - even though I haven't had a bill and their own system says I am in CREDIT with an outstanding balance of ZERO.

I was told if I didn't like it I should seek legal advice!

Debt collectors are toothless and can be ignored. If they contact you you can say you deny the debt and refer them back to their clients, in this case ExtraEnergy and that if they persist you can take legal action against them. Then put the phone down. If they contact you again log it and any other times but never have a conversation with them just repeat the above each and every time. As for Extraenergy if you make a formal complaint and that complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction within 12 weeks you have the right to complain to the ombudsman who can make this company desist in their unreasonable demands etc etc.
    Got a ticket from ParkingEye? Seek advice by clicking here: Private Parking forum on MoneySavingExpert.:j
  • Thank you Edward, much appreciated. Will certainly being 'denying the debt' if they should call!

Hopefully my experience serves to warn people to be highly wary of Extra Energy. In my case I was attracted to switch due to the cheaper prices - I'm obviously now realising the true cost.

Their offer really was just to good to be true.
  • I've just updated my energy club information and it's recommending these people. Judging by the feedback on this thread I shall avoid them like the plague. If everyone is having similar problems with them, I would have thought this site in particular would rapidly stop recommending them, hardly sounds like an ethical business!
  • dave_dph
    dave_dph Posts: 617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Having raised a formal complaint about their incompetence and inability to produce a bill (had to do this twice as the first CS agent failed to do what I had requested and I had to call again), the confirmation email stated someone from the complaints team would call me yesterday....... did it happen??? No! I'll see what happens today then I'll be back on the phone. Already started the switch process to E.on but not prepared to pay £50 cancellation fee when they can't even meet their own supply standards!!!

Looking forward to yet another 'conversation' with them.

Two friends who switched to EE have also applied to switch, probably another will follow suit.
  • cklass
    cklass Posts: 216 Forumite
    I've just updated my energy club information and it's recommending these people. Judging by the feedback on this thread I shall avoid them like the plague. If everyone is having similar problems with them, I would have thought this site in particular would rapidly stop recommending them, hardly sounds like an ethical business!
    Cheap Energy Club doesn't recommend suppliers, it shows you all your options, both good and bad, so that you can make an informed decision.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Originally Posted by chas1999 View Post
    Good advice, I think.

I'm starting to think I've lost that money. Anyone had a refund? Unquote.

I was in conversation with EE earlier this week and was advised my final bill should be produced by the end of the end of next week. Also they advised there is a time frame and they have 6 weeks from when you leave them to produce the final account.

I believe they owe me about £30 but happy to wait.

I only left on price and if they offered me a competitive price for paying by var qtly dd I would have not hesitation in coming back to them.
  • It would appear that Business customers with ExtraEnergy are treated differently! Bills are paid quarterly by direct debit after customer supplies meter reading over the telephone. You have your own business consultant available to sort out problems at any time! I hope this is all true as I have just signed up for a year - no contest when the Standing charge was 5p a day cheaper and the Kwh rate 2.65p cheaper!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure