Another year on and the company tradition is still alive!

Options
So, another Christmas is arriving and my company tradition of contributing money towards gifts for our Directors is still going strong!!

Here is the email that went round the company yesterday:

Dear All

As we near Christmas and hopefully begin to feel full of Festive Cheer, I thought it may be appropriate to let you all know that, following with (company name removed) tradition, we will again be having a Christmas Collection for our company Directors

Each year staff kindly donate towards a gift to be given to each director, by way of a “thank you” for having steered the company forward and ensuring we continue to grow the business. We hope to be able to present the gifts to the Directors at the end of the Christmas Raffle on Wednesday 21 December

(Name removed) or myself will be “doing the rounds” during this week, for all those who would like to make a donation to the collection – or feel free to come and see us at our desks!

Thank you in advance for your generosity and please may I ask that you let others know who may not have access to emails

Kind regards

So there you have it, utter tripe, especially as the company haven't progressed in the last year, or last 2 years for that matter!!

If any company Directors out there have an opinion on this I'd love to hear it (and from others too!).

I will not be donating my money.

Comments

• FredG
    FredG Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    If that went round in our business there'd be pitchforks and placards, rightly so too.

Absolute cheek. Clever implementation of workplace austerity measures though. Pay it upwards!
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ignore it, it's just a brown noser trying to suck up to the bosses
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you make a donation last year, or will you be keeping up a tradition of refusing (which I would thoroughly approve of)?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5375958
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 13 December 2016 at 10:45AM
    Options
    This email would have caused mass hilarity in my company.

Who actually signed this email, one of the directors themselves ? Who collects the money ? What is their reaction when you say you won't be donating and have made a donation to a charity instead ? (I'd be sorely tempted to get everyone to insist the collection went towards an Oxfam goat or well as a gift if people don't have the gumption to refuse)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a weird relic of the class system in this country that the working classes feel they should be grateful for being given a job by those "better" than they are. I thought the days of people doing this sort of thing were long gone.

I am a company director and I think this is just bizarre. I would be horribly embarrassed if it happened to me.
  • misterzim
    Options
    I did not pay last year, nor will I pay this year.

It's the Managing Directors wife who organises this each year and she is the Payroll/Personnel Officer at the company!
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    I remember working at a small company (around 30 staff) some years ago. Every year they gave staff members a £10 M & S voucher (which we called the Knicker Voucher). One year they posted on the notice board that instead of giving staff vouchers they would donate goats to Africa. Lots of grumbles ensued but the general feeling was that we didn't really need the vouchers so giving to charity was A Good Thing.

Until, that is, that the secretary put a letter on the same notice board thanking the directors for their £20 contribution to the goats in Africa fund...

As far as giving to the directors.. words fail me!!!

PS - as a matter of interest how much do they generally raise?
  • 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    It's got to be a wind up surely!
    If not, tell the collector when they turn up at your desk, that you will write a cheque. But it will be to a needy charity/cause and not to a director
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Caroline_a wrote: »
    I remember working at a small company (around 30 staff) some years ago. Every year they gave staff members a £10 M & S voucher (which we called the Knicker Voucher). One year they posted on the notice board that instead of giving staff vouchers they would donate goats to Africa. Lots of grumbles ensued but the general feeling was that we didn't really need the vouchers so giving to charity was A Good Thing.

Until, that is, that the secretary put a letter on the same notice board thanking the directors for their £20 contribution to the goats in Africa fund...

As far as giving to the directors.. words fail me!!!

PS - as a matter of interest how much do they generally raise?

Just by way of argument, many self employed people give Christmas presents to their regular clients. Most people think that is OK.

However, if you are an employee (which in a way is a person who works for only one client) it is suddenly not OK?

Strange world sometimes.....
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a company director and no, no, no. Surely it has to be a wind up.

Every year every member of staff gets a bottle of choice or a couple crates of beer if they prefer, a bonus ( last years was £500.00, not sure we're that rich this year) and a couple hundred quid into the booze kitty when they go out on the town.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure