MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas £300/yr saving for new &...

Comments

• @neo08
    Last time CEC had a limit of 130,000 (for the February 16 BG switch) and then surprise that limit was increased again to encourage more people to sign up.
    As they haven't published a figure I would assume it is unlimited, given the big song and dance they made last time.
    Just my opinion of course.
  • Can I join this tariff if I have an Economy 7 meter? This is how I have it set up currently with Eon (using a standard tariff).
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    mariotr wrote: »
    Can I join this tariff if I have an Economy 7 meter? This is how I have it set up currently with Eon (using a standard tariff).

Welcome to the forum.

Are you asking if you can have a normal one-rate(24/7) tariff with an Economy 7 meter?

If so the answer is yes! BG will aggregate the consumption from both registers e.g 1,000kWh on peak and 200kWh on off-peak will be treated as 1,200kWh at a single rate.

P.S. the term 'standard tariff' is confusing in this context. You can be on an Economy 7 'standard tariff' or a 'normal' standard tariff.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.

Are you asking if you can have a normal one-rate(24/7) tariff with an Economy 7 meter?

If so the answer is yes! BG will aggregate the consumption from both registers e.g 1,000kWh on peak and 200kWh on off-peak will be treated as 1,200kWh at a single rate.

P.S. the term 'standard tariff' is confusing in this context. You can be on an Economy 7 'standard tariff' or a 'normal' standard tariff.

Many thanks for your reply Cardew, that's exactly what I was asking :)
    Sorry about the confusion - I thought the term standard was used to refer to a single-rate tariff, but presumably a standard tariff is just the default one that you get when joining via the supplier's website.

Thanks again, I think I'll be switching soon given that EOn's saver tariff is limited to new customers.
  • M271
    M271 Posts: 238
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    For me the increase in my annual bill will be only £2 so with the £30 cash back it's worth me switching from the BG MSE Collective
    Feb 17 to this Oct 17 one.
    Does the switch take place immediately or does it take some days?
  • brila
    brila Posts: 126
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I can't do a comparison - I just get an "unavailable" message with a broken lightbulb picture. I tried last night and this evening, but am getting the same message. Is it a general problem or just me?
    On a mission.
  • denise38
    denise38 Posts: 422
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 24 September 2016 at 6:57PM
    I don't have Gas just now and am moving in 5 weeks to a property with gas . I am out of my fix and need to sort my electricity out . Will I be able to grab the BG deal for new property given I need it to start on a specific date . If not will need to get an electricity deal I can take with me,
    I have never met a calorie yet I didn't like!!
  • As a current collective fixed dec 2017 customer I received an email about a new special tariff, thinking this might be the collective fixed - but it's called Home Energy Fixed 2017 and seems a lot different:

collective fixed Dec 2016 - my current tariff
    26.00 p/day 9.16/kWh electricity
    26.01 p/day 3.02/kWh gas

Home Energy Fixed Sep 2017 - from their special email
    26.01 p/day 9.82/kWh/electricity
    26.02 p/day 3.04/kWh gas

Collective Fixed Oct 2017 - from MSE
    21.809 p/day 9.041 p/kWh electricity
    21.809 p/day 2.657/kWh gas

correct? If so the collective fixed is a super deal, whilst email persuading me to go home energy fixed is a bit of a con (it's a decent tariff, just not the best they offer... esp given the wording of the email).
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • denise38 wrote: »
    I don't have Gas just now and am moving in 5 weeks to a property with gas . I am out of my fix and need to sort my electricity out . Will I be able to grab the BG deal for new property given I need it to start on a specific date . If not will need to get an electricity deal I can take with me,

You'll need to register with the existing suppliers to your new home on the day you move in - you can't do it before.

As soon as you are registered , normally it's as soon as you make that call, you can apply to switch supplier.

I don't know when this tariff is going to end in regards to applications, but I suspect it won't be available anymore in 5 weeks time.

Just pick the best available supplier & tariff availanble at the time :)

In regards to your current situation, then I wouldn't worry too much. The cost difference of any electricity you use for the next 5 weeks is unlikley to be huge. But a simple and easy solution would be to call your exoisting supplier and ask for the best deal for you from them, otherwsie you will be on their variable tariff which is usually the most expensive. As I said, you won't save a fortune, but it might save you a few pennies.

Don't worry about any early exit fees that may be suggested - they don't apply if you move home :)
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Flt._Lt._Biggles Posts: 300
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 September 2016 at 12:54PM
    planetf1 wrote: »
    As a current collective fixed dec 2017 customer I received an email about a new special tariff, thinking this might be the collective fixed - but it's called Home Energy Fixed 2017 and seems a lot different:

collective fixed Dec 2016 - my current tariff
    26.00 p/day 9.16/kWh electricity
    26.01 p/day 3.02/kWh gas

Home Energy Fixed Sep 2017 - from their special email
    26.01 p/day 9.82/kWh/electricity
    26.02 p/day 3.04/kWh gas

Collective Fixed Oct 2017 - from MSE
    21.809 p/day 9.041 p/kWh electricity
    21.809 p/day 2.657/kWh gas

correct? If so the collective fixed is a super deal, whilst email persuading me to go home energy fixed is a bit of a con (it's a decent tariff, just not the best they offer... esp given the wording of the email).

Who did you receive the email from?

If it was BG, then it's not necessarily a con. BG cannot offer you the MSE collective tariff, only MSE can.

The BG Home Energy Fixed Sep 2017 is not a collective tariff.
    (edit - it appears to be tariff only offered to those BG customers on select collective tariffs if Captain_Fishy's thread is anything to go by
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5530509 )

Check out seperate suppliers - it would seem you could beat any of these tariffs, particularly for gas where BG are notoriously always expensive, if you went with seperate suppliers ;)
    (beware of any early exit fee that may apply)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure