Help please re SIM only deals

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Jon_01 wrote: »

I can't ague point 2, losing the number would be a major pain. But it is an EE number, so I could get it back if I went back to EE (but it would mean trying to talk to someone that know what they were doing, which these days would be down to pure luck :) ).

Im pretty sure if you lose your number it goes into quarantine and couldn't be reissued for 6 months even to the person who lost it, so I'd think you're hoping for something that wouldn't be possible.

Remember, the number doesn't belong to you, the network is simply allowing you to use it.
    ====
  • littlewren
    littlewren Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Well I'm totally confused now lol

I got on to EE retentions as I'd spoken on chat with a girl who said she was going to ring me back but never did.

I asked for my PAC code and said I'd like to cancel my contract & therefore give them 30 days notice.

He said I can either request my PAC code or cancel, not both.

I'm a novice at this as I've had a contract for 4 years with EE, before that T-Mobile (so it just got switched to EE) and before that PAYG.

What I'd like to do is give them the 30 day notice they require and keep my options open. I definitely want a SIM only but I don't know whether I can get a better deal with EE than the one he offered - £21 per month for 3GB etc (I'm only paying £4 more than that and had a new Samsung Galaxy S5 at the beginning of the 2 years) - or whether to go perhaps with someone like Virgin, I have my broadband, TV & landline phone with them already. I would like to stay with either EE or go with Virgin I think.

The bloke I was speaking to today said that I'd get a better deal if I took a 12 month sim with them. When I said I wanted a 30 day rolling contract in case I have problems with my phone, he said I therefore wouldn't be entitled to any loyalty deals and kept trying to push the 12 month sim.

Arghhh, I don't want to lose my number but I do want to cancel the contract so I'm not sure what I should be doing.

Help again please :)
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ask for your PAC then.

When you use this (with a new provider) it cancels your EE contract and moves the number over.

It sounds like you should prepare to go to virgin.
    No point staying with EE unless they are going to do a sensible deal, which it doesn't sound like they will anymore.
  • littlewren
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Ask for your PAC then.

When you use this (with a new provider) it cancels your EE contract and moves the number over.

It sounds like you should prepare to go to virgin.
    No point staying with EE unless they are going to do a sensible deal, which it doesn't sound like they will anymore.

If I just ask for my PAC code though, I will then have to wait another 30 days once I find a sim deal and then cancel, is that right?

Sorry to sound a bit dim, I'm finding this a bit confusing! lol
  • With SIM only, there are some offers around that sometimes only last a couple of weeks. As per other replies, once you see a deal that suits you ask for your PAC and use it with the new provider.

Check these points carefully before committing to a new contract:
    1. Coverage, at home, work, pubs, clubs etc. Get a PAYG to test with if necessary.
    2. Do you need tethering?
    3. Overseas roaming, costs?
    4. Overspend capping? Does data stop or do they charge the earth?
    5. Free calls to customer service and voice mail?
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    littlewren wrote: »
    If I just ask for my PAC code though, I will then have to wait another 30 days once I find a sim deal and then cancel, is that right?

Sorry to sound a bit dim, I'm finding this a bit confusing! lol

It's simple. Either give 30 days' notice to cancel, or request a PAC and exercise it within 30 days.

Asking for a PAC always negates any previous notice to cancel and if it isn't used within 30 days it will expire and the contract will then continue.
  • littlewren
    With SIM only, there are some offers around that sometimes only last a couple of weeks. As per other replies, once you see a deal that suits you ask for your PAC and use it with the new provider.

Check these points carefully before committing to a new contract:
    1. Coverage, at home, work, pubs, clubs etc. Get a PAYG to test with if necessary.
    2. Do you need tethering?
    3. Overseas roaming, costs?
    4. Overspend capping? Does data stop or do they charge the earth?
    5. Free calls to customer service and voice mail?

Thank you for this info. Yes ideally I would like to be able to tether to my tablet occasionally as it's only wifi. Roaming won't be applicable. I'll take all these points into account when I decide who to go with. :)
  • littlewren
    It's simple. Either give 30 days' notice to cancel, or request a PAC and exercise it within 30 days.

Asking for a PAC always negates any previous notice to cancel and if it isn't used within 30 days it will expire and the contract will then continue.

I see, thank you very much :)
  • littlewren

So, say I want to go with Virgin Mobile.

My EE contract runs out on the 21st May, if I ring EE now and ask for my PAC code, I will still have to stay with them for 30 days won't I? If I get a sim only deal with VM, how do I use their sim card when I'm still with EE until the 21st May?

This is doing my head in, I can't get my head around it.

Can you please reply in simplest terms lol

Many thanks
  • Once you've decided on a new provider and signed up with them, got their SIM card and checked it works (it will have a new mobile number). BTW, your phone is unlocked isn't it?

You then use the PAC from your old network to ask your new provider to start the number swap, after a working day or two your old number will be transferred to the new SIM and your old contract will automatically cease.

Do not cancel your old direct debit for a couple of months as there will be several days of contract to pay off with your old provider.

If your new provider has a high street shop, the staff will talk you through the swap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure