Overcharged by a Locksmith

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Stuff

New poster resurrects an old thread with pointless commentary - spammer in the making?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    DoaM wrote: »
    New poster resurrects an old thread with pointless commentary - spammer in the making?

Well he's hardly likely to drum up any extra business for himself as I very much doubt that anyone here is likely to need a locksmith in California. A return airfare from LAX might make him a tad uncompetitive :rotfl:
  • Great thread as a warning to people though. I'd add some food for thought. The price selling a barrel over the counter is always going to be less than van stock. It's not made clear for those who don't know but there are a fair variety of sizes for euro cylinders, the thumb turn option, brass or stainless, British standard or budget, - the guy has to buy, stock and carry all these. That's in addition to night latch and mortice locks which again have a huge variation. Then rimlocks, padlocks, cabinet locks, safes ...

You aren't ever going to get a trained locksmith to call at your premises and carry out a repair while charging retail price for the parts.

I do agree the price was high, but the OP agreed to it so I'd say chalk it down to experience.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    I too have received what appears to be a very infated bi, ll£250+ to fix a small patio door lock They want £65 for a pair of handles for a cheap plastic door. I have offered them £140 in full and final settlrment, but they are threatening court. Ho hum.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Didn't you get a quote first? Was this an emergency call out?

PS - welcome to the murky word of Consumer Rights, TD. :D
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The_Deep wrote: »
    I too have received what appears to be a very infated bi, ll£250+ to fix a small patio door lock They want £65 for a pair of handles for a cheap plastic door. I have offered them £140 in full and final settlrment, but they are threatening court. Ho hum.

FWIW, I mention this because some people I've spoken to recently are confused about the role of a court.

The court won't look at the handles and say something like "£140 looks like a fair price for these door handles".

The court will look at things like whether there was a contract and whether it was breached.

For example, if a consumer contractually agrees to pay £1000 for a pair of door handles that cost the supplier £5, as long as there has been no breach of contract (including statutory implied terms) or misrepresentation, the court would instruct the consumer to pay the £1000.
  • SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    DoaM wrote: »
    tl;dr ... you were grossly overcharged, but are in a very weak position because you were advised of the prices prior to work commencing.

All you can hope for is a goodwill gesture, perhaps under the threat of negative commentary on review sites regarding their business practices.

Please don't 'threaten' to leave negative reviews - never a good idea. This can be used against you should a matter go to court. You can of course still choose to write a factual and honestly held review - but never use this as a tool (or blackmail) to try and get what you want.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    And another spammer resurrecting a 2 year old thread.
    This one can't even get the right country.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    They charge for their services. if you have any problem try to solve yourself.

Dubai Locksmith provide you residential locksmith services 24 hours 7 days a week. they are providing trusted and reliable services all over the Dubai like lock change, new installation, safe unlock, cabinet lock change, garage door lock, lock repair dubai, door unlock etc.Call Now: +971559840222

I bet the call out charge from Dubai isn't cheap.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 July 2019 at 9:58PM
    yes sure. i accept your bet.

This is a UK forum so your advice is hardly helpful.

Why even reply to the thread when your posting about a Dubai firm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure