Gas Connection - Vacant Property

Hi there,

We just moved into a property that has been vacant for about a year. The previous owner who took the property over following a repossession had turned off the water at the internal stopcock, drained all the radiators and turned off the gas supply at the meter. I went out to try and turn the gas back on yesterday by turning the handle from 90 degree to be in line with the pipe. However, the hot water still did not run. There was also some yellow tape around a big nut in the gas meter box - would I need to do something with this?

Alternatively, the boiler is a late-90s combi. Would I need to do anything else on there to get the hot water to turn on? I've read about pilot lights etc.

Thanks very much

Sam

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Have you actually got gas running through the property? Have you a gas cooker so you could check?

The fact that it's an exterior gas mains and has yellow tape on it means it may have been turned off by the gas company, due to it being vacant for a while.

Have you rung the gas supplier to let them know you are the owner / occupier?

What boiler do you have?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • reford89
    reford89 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Thanks for replying. I am back at the house later so will get back to you on the precise boiler model.

Unfortunately I can't check the gas because our oven is electric but I have rung the gas supplier to get our new account set up, and they didn't mention it. They had even been sending bills to "owner/occupier" for the past 10 months!

I'll give them a ring on Monday.

Do you know if there is any way I can check if the gas has been turned off to the boiler? I have two lights...one says "power" and the other says "demand". Only the power light is on.

Sam
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Probably capped at the meter, it will be a blanking washer behind the big nut. They usually do this when there is a dead drop - ie a substantial gas leak. Its to stop someone just turning it on when its dangerous.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Pics of this yellow tape & big nut
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • There can be yellow tape just to signify gas when meters are installed.

Have you since filled/bled the radiators, got the combi to pressure and then turned it on?
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Get a gas safe engineer to get it running for you / condemn it/ service it.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the boiler has been sitting for a year, then it's due a service anyway. So it would be sensible to get a Gas Safe plumber to have a look at it. They can probably work out why it isn't firing up.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    A 20 year old boiler drained and capped suggests you need to get it checked and serviced before using it.

Can a combi boiler be used just for hot water after the heating side has been drained?
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Can a combi boiler be used just for hot water after the heating side has been drained?

Only Intergas but then you do need to alter the settings
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Guys thanks so much for your help with this. We took the advice to get it checked professionally and ended up getting it changed. It turned out (after much investigation) that the gas supply had been turned off because it was leaking and hence when I turned it back on briefly, the pressure wasn't high enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure