PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• This is the prepper in me talking Cuddles but if you watched the 'prepping' scenario programme that the BBC put out last year the guy who was the prepper on that thought he was fine but was the only person running a generator in the whole area so everyone else who hadn't food/electricity went and took all he and his family had so carefully prepared with, leaving them with nothing in a very difficult situation. Generators are loud and distinctive sounding so everyone will know you have food in your freezer and if desperate enough will not hesitate to take it from you by any means available. Better by far to have stores that are silent and not advertise that you have them because that way you stand a better chance of keeping and using them yourselves.
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    True Mrs Lurcherwalker
    We were in Florida a couple of years ago when there was a hurricane coming, luckily we were missed but the supermarket was picked clean ( my OH went in and the most prim and proper ladies were arguing about the last tins on the shelf) It definately brings out the worst in people. If you are hungry cold baked beans or rice pud will keep the wolf from the door.

We have a bed with space for storing cans and the like which will become useful if needed. We!!!8217;ve only been in our tiny flat for just over a year but as new furniture etc is needed we are looking at storage options. We are saving up to redo the bathroom and the sink will have two nice big drawers underneath for storage. We!!!8217;ve also got shelves all round the top of the bedroom with pretty boxes with winter stuff in which will swap to summer when needed. We don!!!8217;t have much summer stuff to put away though because older t shirts go under jumpers rather than buying vests.

I better go before I bore you all silly
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • GQ has flat bed wooden trolleys on little wheels that are easy to push under and pull out from under the bed and stores tins on them, very canny and impossible to see when the bedding is in place, very canny lass! It's NOT boring pet, it's common sense to think about what might happen and if possible be a couple of steps ahead of it with solutions!
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I need to ask you seasoned preppers what you do about rotating any stored stock you have. During the bad snow earlier in the year, I stocked up on various things such as cartons of longlife milk - but their shelf life isn't forever. Should I keep things for a year (say) and use-then-replace them? I really don't want to have to live off longlife milk but equally I don't want to waste things! What do you all do?
  • I write the use by date in permanent marker on the top and the front of the packaging and every 3 months or so I rearrange the shelves (because inevitably things get put at the front as they're purchased and put into store) and arrange things with the longest dates at the back of the shelves and the shortest at the front. I don't take too much notice of 'use before dates' as things are usually perfectly usable for long after that if they're in cans or jars. I'm currently using up tins from the store room and finding things that are labelled best before 2013 and as long as the tins haven't 'blown' (the ends bow out with pressure if the contents have gone off) and there are no dents and visible rust we're finding no detectable deterioration in anything. I'm using Mr Mash that was use by 2013 too and it tastes totally normal. I'm careful with fridge chilled things and do bide by use by dates there in the main and things surface from the depths of the freezer in various states and if it's too freezer burned I don't use it but if possible compost it if it's fruit and veg. Meat. fish etc. unfortunately has to go in the bin if it's too far gone or unidentifiable. We're getting rid of the huge chest freezer we've had for years, it's far too easy to lose things into the depths which then spoil and that's wasting money!
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi C J
    I move everything in the freezer down to the bottom as the new stuff arrives and eat from the bottom up. I also have a use now cupboard and a put stuff in for later cupboard, then move that across when new comes. I rotate every time I shop so that it only takes a couple of minutes if that makes sense but I!!!8217;ve not much storage space so when I put stuff under the bed I check the dates and keep a note of it.
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Fabulous thread thank you!
    Grunnie I havent a clue why you think independence would make anything already worse than it is. Scotland would get new trading partners and new deals in place - any country that has whisky and oil is never going to be stuck!
    Whoever it was who asked about longlife milk (CJ?) I use them up in milk puddings and baking.
    We already eat 1950s UK style - mainly because the wartime cookbooks recommended to me by people on the OS threads really work for me and taste like real food :D Those new books have recipes with 900 ingreds (and every single one has to be either wild or distressed or torn) drive me insane :rotfl: I know where I am with lamb hotpot or cottage pie.
    So what I'm going to try to do, health allowing, is to extend the veg garden by a good bit. I'm too high up to grow any fruit but berries, so I can plant some rasps and blackberries. Crumbles and pies from those. Already grow tatties and onions and leeks. Soups and fillers for stews from those 3 things.
    We're facing a huge drop in income and increasing frail health here so this thread couldn't have come at a better time :T:j:T
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2018 at 6:26PM
    grunnie wrote: »

I am not scared of Brexit but terrified of Scottish independence maybe some of you could send me food parcels then.

I am really glad to see someone "elsewhere in Britain" say that actually - now that I moved to Wales a few years ago - and then realised a lotta stuff one can't really see when living in England.

So - yep....I'm actually more (a lot more!) concerned about the Nationalists managing to put even more of a wedge than they already have in between England and Wales and I fear for Scotland too because of the Nationalists. Wales is already a good bit poorer than England and really doesnt need their "helping hand" to become even poorer (re-phrase as "even more devolved government"). They can't see it - but I can....:eek:

So - I've been making preps anyway (ie before I moved here). I've upped the ante on the preps after moving here and realising what was going on.

So - I'm growing quite a bit of food by now in my garden and generally making my finances as "watertight" as possible and that will come in useful whatever happens. Be it Brexit or the Nationalists making Wales/Scotland even poorer with yet more "devolution". I'm prepared.

It's been about 17 months now that the Northern Irish "devolved government" hasnt functioned for and I've got my hopes up that (once Brexit is more sorted and Theresa May doesnt need the backing of the most old-fashioned of the N. Irish political parties) she'll move to imposing the right to legal abortion for Northern Irish woman at last. Followed by that move being "thin end of wedge" and the whole idea of Northern Irish "devolved government" collapses for good - followed by Welsh and Scottish "devolved government". Fingers crossed that, come 10 years time, it will just be "Britain - as normal" again....and those "devolved governments" will be in the history books.
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    MITSTM, after the Brexit referendum you posted that people needed to accept the majority decision of the referendum. Surely this should also be the case regarding referenda about Welsh devolution.
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Let's not do politics, it will spoil the thread. Let's all mind our own respective business and focus on food and the home.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback