PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Last night I was probably the only person in the country using a hot water bottle filled with hot water. I was very busy yesterday and forgot to drink as much as usual, then having done my tai chi class when I went to bed I ended up getting cramp in my feet. Despite then drinking a large amount of water and some rehydrating powders, the only answer was to don some thin socks and get the hot water bottle out. Surprisingly I didn't explode with the extra heat which also included the cat snuggling up to me.

Today I'm breaking in a new pair of shoes which I bought in a factory shop in Italy recently. I think they may be factory samples which never made it into production as the linings are a bit primitive and aren't stamped with the usual company name. They are extremely striking, impossible to clean being a matt white leather with a sort of water-coloured pattern almost painted on them. They are sparking much joy, but will certainly only be used when I'm walking short distances in clean places.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've kondo'd a conservatory today! I advertised it free on Freegle and Gumtree, someone should have been collecting it tonight but now can't come until tomorrow morning. If they do come and take it away I will save the price of a skip but I have a funny feeling they are going to be a no show. Hope not as the builders have been careful taking it down and not broken anything at all.
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to the arc of destruction of yesterday's falling wall cabinet, I've had to kondo my flattened kitchen rubbish bin ( so glad it wasn't me or the cat!).

I took some metal waste to the council's recycling centre, and picked up a used grey waste food caddy, which will do for non recyclable rubbish instead. Our council has stopped using food caddies, instead peelings go into the garden waste wheelie bin. So there are lots of old food caddies large and small at the recycling centre looking to be repurposed, to be had free of charge. So, everyone's happy - I've not had to buy another plastic object from the shops, and the council are glad to have one less item needing a new home. The small size wouldn't suit a family, but is perfect for me and has a small footprint in my bijou kitchen.

The other item that copped it and saved the kitchen counter from being gouged was my porcelain pestle and mortar, broken into five bits and now binned. I'll keep an eye out, they sometimes appear at a very good price in the local TKMax.

Best news of the day is I've emptied the last four cardboard boxes from the move. There's now a bag for the CS with a pressure cooker and an EasiYo yogurt system, replaced by an Instant Pot. The investment is worth it as I can do both in the Instant Pot, and it's programmable. I've always had a horror of forgetting I'd put the manual pressure cooker on, so used to hover around it, whereas now I don't have to. So much safer and less anxiety causing, especially now I'm all electric. And takes up less space.
    Luckily I ordered it before the price went up. I'd been thinking about it for about 6 months, and the premium on space in here was the decider.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :eek: So glad to hear that only inaminate objects were injured, Wee Midgie!

And well done on sourcing a pre-existing item to replace your damaged bin. In my micro-kitchen, I use a flower bucket, one of those ubiquitious plastic jobbies. There's no space for a bin so I need something small and light enough to be punted around the floor with my foot as I access different cupboards, the fridge etc.

Have been pulling a few more bits out for tomorrow's bootsale and hope not to return home with any of them, will be taking offers. I am being drawn more and more powerfully towards minimalism with every passing year, and find myself repelled by Stuff.

OK, I have Stuff, some Stuff is necessary. My employer likes to see the staff in ironed clothes, I occasionally sew and need to press things whilst doing so, so the ironing board and iron won't be disappearing any time soon.

But other things, when they're worn out, will not be replaced.

:p I shall be at the family homestead this evening, doing bootsale using the parental car (haven't one of my own) so will be spending time with Mum this evening pulling out the items she has already selected to go to the booter.

There will probably be some funny anecotes next week, my life is apt to slip into farce worryingly easily, no matter how hard I try to live a sane and sensible life. I shall, of course, overshare as per usual.......... :rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope you get rid of everything at the bootsale GQ - waiting for to hear the latest from the 'rents!
    Only one (heavy) carrier bag gone to the Sally Army yesterday. 4 pairs of sandals that were uncomfortable and a new pair of plimsoll type shoes. I'm a 7 1/2 or a continental 41 and so many shoes just seem to catch my toes AFTER I've worn them for a bit - fed up with persevering s out they went along with about half a dozen books I've managed to get through and a clock radio that lit up the bedroom with the time!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was lucky recently, with a *very* posh pair of shoes (Pavers). Bought them online in a hurry, they seemed to fit, and I took them on that holiday I had recently. Wore them for half an hour, luckily on carpet almost the entire time. There was a strip of about 25 yards of linoleum, which I walked both ways. The shoes were agony - parts of my left foot were bright red and in pain for 3 days after such a short wear. Sent them back, via their 99p facility, and they've reimbursed in full. A financial win, and a clutter win.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was at a strawberry tea in our church and they had a bric a brac stall. One friend was getting rid of loads and loads of crochet mats and they are now washed and hanging on my clothes line. Her mum made them years ago and I just love them a great reminder of a great lady. Will put the table centre on my little side table and the dressing table set on my ..yip you guessed it my dr table.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I will share a secret with you: we don't have a kitchen bin. We have a towel hook in the corner behind the kitchen door, and on it hangs a plastic baggie. As soon as it's full it (2 days) goes into the main waste bin outside. This system has worked for 6 years now, and keeps on surprising people :)
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    I will share a secret with you: we don't have a kitchen bin. We have a towel hook in the corner behind the kitchen door, and on it hangs a plastic baggie. As soon as it's full it (2 days) goes into the main waste bin outside. This system has worked for 6 years now, and keeps on surprising people :)

Me too I thought I was unique
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Me three! I have a plastic bag that hangs off one of the dials on the cooker. When I'm trying to be ultra-frugal, I use an empty frozen veg bag, and put it on a spare ring of the cooker itself, I kid you not. I hate and detest buying plastic specifically to be thrown away, so I do anything I can to subvert that. It saves money, time, space and waste, I'm down with that :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport