PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have dropped off about 20 wineboxes filled with clothes, toys, etc. at the charity shop. It wasn't my preferred charity, but after a year of those boxes languishing and the mountain growing I bit the bullet and just got them down from the attic and out of the house. Joy!

I'm working my way through bed linens and cotton handkerchiefs, reusing the same all the time. Wash and use, wash and use.

DDs were given new dresses by their aunt, and I'm sorry to say it, but they look really cheap and don't fit nicely at all. They were heavily discounted, so cannot be returned, and they already have so many lovely dresses. I made sure they thanked her nicely, and I let them wear their dresses the whole day while we walked around the local lake. We took some pictures of them in front of nicely flowering shrubs, and when they were sitting on a bench at the lakeside, which we sent to Auntie; and then we played in the playground, and ate spaghetti with a red sauce. Now the dresses are not fit for wearing anymore....so sad...

Auntie is on benefits or has cleaning jobs, so she has to use her money wisely, but won't. I've known her for 11 years; she is a great aunt to visit, she plays games, cooks nice meals, chats, takes them for walks. There is no need for her to buy them cheap dresses; I don't get this need to buy children stuff.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Greenbee - I already have two tall freezers and a fridge freezer so thanks for the offer but no thanks! But whatever you decide to keep you can certainly have some homegrown produce to put in it - happy to help ;)

Siebre - I feel your pain with the dresses. An aunt of mine bought my grandaughter a purple satin dress!!! She was only 8 moths old
    nooooo! Needless to say it was never worn - such a waste of money.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Finished pulling aroung the toiletries last night and decided to try using up some n ivea face cream which I don't use on my face as handcream when the present tube runs out. It works or it doesn't, hey?

Bathroom now looking very neat and tidy, long may that continue.

Am having a restful evening kondoing some library book reading as said book is due back on Thursday. Yeah, I could easily renew it online but somehow, knowing I could do that in a minute with a few mouseclicks causes me to not be mindful about getting books read and back into the library for other to read.

This must stop. I finished two books on Saturday/ Sunday and returned them on Sunday and aim to read this one and one more by end of Weds and get them back by Thursday.

Righty, heading offline now so wishing everyone a relaxing evening and a lovely restful night's sleep. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've been using up unwanted creams etc as body lotion for a while now - current 'blend' in my tub is a tube of handcream, half a bottle of face oil and a small tester tube of tinted moisturiser (way too dark for my pale face!) - all mixed up thoroughly and it's making for a lovely lightweight, yet moisturising, body cream :) I've also used face creams which are too heavy for my skin up as body lotion - my legs and arms are way more forgiving than my face! :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • silvasava
    Options
    I mix up any creams that are too heavy/runny as body lotion and also any ood suncream into a handwash pump bottle - very handy!
    Waiting for delivery of a steel beam today so we can Kondo a wall between my kitchen and dining room to make it open plan. We no longer use the dining room much and it's become a bit of a dumping ground so some radical changes. The dining room faces west so it's lovely and light and I've a small armchair that will sit nicely in the bay window..........;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder, GQ - I have library books due back tomorrow and you've jogged my memory.

I've moved fairly recently into a flat which had seen better days, the previous owner had lived in it since it was built and it suffered quite heavy wear and tear as he wasn't at all domesticated. The kitchen in particular had suffered heavy and not very careful use. But - synchronicity to the rescue...

I've been given a perfectly good and not very old oven, hob and fridge freezer from a very kind neighbour who's having her kitchen stripped out and completely renewed. They were otherwise going to be dumped, and that would have broken my eco frugal heart.

The hob in my kitchen had old fashioned solid rings which were badly pitted and corroded and shed chunks of rust every time I cleaned them, so it's great to inherit a ceramic hob.

My kitchen units are okay and are staying, some of the doors have needed adjusted, and the hole for the hob needed enlarged to fit, but the oven which is immaculate has slotted in fine and there's plenty space for the fridge freezer. My neighbour's carousels fit my very awkward corner base cupboard, so no more hands and knees excavations of the furthest corners :j

So the handyman who is swapping things over has kondo'd the old hob, oven, which was kaput, and a section of work surface where the fridge freezer will go. (The previous owner had an under the counter fridge).

My lovely neighbour now has a gift voucher to enjoy, for an experience rather than more Stuff; items with useful life in them have been kept in circulation, and instead, really worn out items have been put to be recycled instead, so everyone's happy :j:j.

The final bit of work will be to visit an architectural salvage yard for a replacement sink. Somehow the previous owner has managed to wreck and corrode the taps, and the sink itself has seen much better days. Elbow grease and heavy duty cleaning haven't done the trick, and unfortunately the neighbour's sink is smaller so can't be used. All in good time, but the old sink will be recycled to the metal bin at the dump when it finally gets replaced. :):)
  • silvasava
    Options
    Weemidge - well done you! Sounds like you will have a lovely up to date kitchen for minimal cost and minimal land fill!
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :T Wow, Wee Midgie, what a wonderful haul of kitchen appliances etc. A win-win for the neighbour and for you.

Pleased to hear that others have successfully experimented with combining lotions and potions. I've often meditated on the sheer amount of toiletries which must go down the sink/ into the landfill bin unused, it's very easy to buy or be gifted with more than one can use before they go off. I'm aiming not to be a repeat offender.

Looking forward to getting shot of the CRT monitor from the old pooter when Dad comes up to help me harvest spuds, which will be at some point in the next month or so, depending when the tops go over.

I shall probably be carbooting at the weekend as a seller, if weather permits. Hope to turn some clutter into cash, it's so much more portable, don't you find?:rotfl:
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I once read somewhere that shower gel and bath foam are the same, so now I buy bath foam and refill a handy shower gel bottle with it.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    I once read somewhere that shower gel and bath foam are the same, so now I buy bath foam and refill a handy shower gel bottle with it.
    :) A lot of products are detergents inc surfactants, perfume and preservatives, so it's al l pretty much of a muchness.

Have been allotmenteering for just over an hour. Have done some tidying up preparatory for the pre-pond prep. I blush to call my inherited pond a Pond as it's all of 2 ft long by about a foot wide and approximately shaped like a peanut shell.

I am planning to move it from the stupid place where its original owner left it (slap bang in the middle of Plot2), over to Plot1 in an area I call The Flowerbed. This is the end of Plot1 where it's by the path and I don't really want veggies there as it's just a bit too tempting for passers-by, IYKWIM.

I've never moved a pond liner before so will be going about it very methodically, being careful to keep the original pond water to refill afterwards. Then the little froggies will have a home not too far from the stand tap, where they also like to congregate.

:D And I'll have uniimpeded use of a big chunk of ground for veggies.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills