PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Let's Get Motivated

Options
It’s time for me to find some motivation and I thought that, maybe, we could all help spur each other on. So I have started this thread in the hope that we can provide support to each other and motivate ourselves to get stuff done.

Each day/week, I have good intentions of getting some jobs done and usually I write long lists. Sometimes, however, I get disheartened by how much I have to do and I also feel despondent that I have crossed off so little. I end up feeling like a failure. But this is all going to change. I am not writing any more unachievable lists and I shall now start to celebrate the successes instead of the failures. I am hoping that by being more organised and accountable on this forum, will also save me time and money.

So here are today’s successes:
  • Bled the radiators after the heating engineers visit last week.
  • Made Christmas charity shoebox for work collection tomorrow.
  • Cooked gammon joint before it goes out of date.
Tomorrow’s urgent jobs:
  • Post 18th birthday card to friend’s daughter and think of suitable present.
  • Dust something!

It would be lovely if some of you could join me so that I’m not totally talking to myself (although that does happen quite a lot anyway).
If Plan A fails, remember there are 25 more letters

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do like a list, so I can tick off stuff. Sometimes you can be really busy getting things done but can't quantify it, so that helps. Mainly, though, a list helps me prioritise and actually do stuff. Without it I sometimes get overwhelmed and just sit there like a rabbit stuck in the headlights.

Today I decided to paint some robins for my xmas cards. Well, the first attempt was similar to a bird, the second one looked like a robin painted by a child, the third one is really cute!

So that's my fave acheivement today - painting a robin :rotfl:
    I have also cleaned bathroom n kitchen, made lunch, and made card toppers for foodie gifts I am putting in hampers. The house looks like the set of an old episode of Blue Peter!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I too have a to-do, and been-done list I do my best to get one ticked off at least every day :):):)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What a great idea for a thread!

I love lists too - dumping your brain on a page leaves space for strategic thinking and means that you have created something that makes you feel like at least part of the day has been spent productively. I like to time myself (or rather, to see how much headway I can make through the list) by running a set-time radio programme in the backgound. Fast music also helps me get through physical chores; shows that are actually worth listening to make cleaning more bearable. I also build up momentum by doing a few of the easiest things first and then progressing to the more challenging :D

I am then happy to spend the rest of my free time as I see fit, released from the weight domestic burdens...until the next day ;)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for starting this. I read it and promptly descaled the bathroom taps and cleaned the bathroom (except for the shower, which I will delegate to DH tomorrow night as the door has gone all cloudy)

Today we:
    Went for an 8km run
    Did food shop, filled up car
    Made homemade leek and potato soup for the week
    Cleaned the kitchen and some laundry
    Did the bathroom

I also did some of my French (been taking an evening class) as DH read Freakonomics. Now going to clean the kitchen - again - and snuggle down with the Monty Don book I've been reading and an orange spiced tea...bliss.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can find "to do" lists quite demoralising as for me they sometimes turn into "wish lists", though they are are necessary evil at times and ticking things off is very satisfying:D

I prefer to have a "today I've done list", I find it much more motivating as I've always managed "something" even if by most folks standards it's not very much :D.

Today's (so far) looks like this:
    Been to bin and put out recycling
    Put out food bin for recycling
    Vac-packed meat
    Put away a load of laundry
    Done two loads of laundry and hung it up
    Cooked brunch
    Cooked dinner
    Emptied and loaded the dishwasher.

None of these are big jobs but as I'm not feeling great today it's more than I thought this morning I would manage, so nice to reflect that the day hasn't been completely wasted:cool:
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Today I have done some Christmas prep, I have ordered a Turkey and a new oven to cook it in (oven not working we have been surviving on grill/oven section and hob for 2 months) but we need more space for Christmas!! Delivary due form mid December - that's cutting it fine!! Should have done it ages ago, but If procrastination was an Olympic sport I would have a string of gold medals!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sillyvixen wrote: »
    If procrastination was an Olympic sport I would have a string of gold medals!

BznuP80IUAESvEI.jpg
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll join you, maybe that will help to get me motivated. I've just had 2 weeks off work and had a list of things I wanted to get done while I was off, but out of 18 things I managed 7, and most of them weren't the most important! A lot of the time I just sat snuggled under my thick fleece blanket, playing games on my tablet!:o

Today I didn't get out of bed until almost 2pm, although I did wake up at 8.30, made a cup of coffee and got back into bed, then fell asleep again and woke about 1.30 to a cold coffee (in my defense I've not been sleeping too well lately, and I didn't get to sleep until almost 3 this morning), and all I did today was the washing up, filled the bird feeders and made the bed.

I did also cook a proper meal tonight, only ham, eggs, chips and beans but better than the ham and pickle sandwiches or cheese on toast which I've had most nights this week, lol!

Sue
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• tjp70
    tjp70 Posts: 464 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone. So many replies, thank you.

This morning, instead of laying in bed until the last possible moment, I have jumped out of bed with renewed enthusiasm and started doing little jobs around the house before work.

MMF007 - I also like a list but of late, I tend to write too much on my list so that it inevitably feels like a demotivator. Hence my need to celebrate the jobs done from now on. Your robins sound lovely. Feel free to post a pic. You cleaned the bathroom (my lease favourite job). It sounds like you had a productive day.

JackieO - I like the idea of ticking one item off each day. I might try that.

VfM4meplse - Fast music is a great motivator for me too. But I had forgotten about it. I tend to put it on when cleaning the kitchen.

MandM90 - you descaled the bathroom taps. I'm impressed. You also achieved a massive amount yesterday. Tres bien.

Caronc - you have reminded me that I have some bulk purchased chicken fillets in my fridge that need sorting and freezing down. I don't have a vacuum packer so I shall be wrestling with cling film and freezer bags! Don't belittle your jobs, they all needed doing and you did loads of them.

Sillyvixen - Well done for ordering that oven. That's another thing off your mind. My family can't decide what roast they want for Christmas so nothing ordered yet here.

Sue14 - I hope you slept better last night. Please celebrate the 7 items you crossed off that list.

So, for me today, my priorities are:

1. Freeze down that chicken
    2. Post 18th birthday card
    3. Dust something

Have a great day everyone.

tjp
    If Plan A fails, remember there are 25 more letters
  • Mademoiselle
    Options
    I actually prefer a 'done list', I like to be able to look aback at the end of a seemingly unproductive day and see that I did get things done just not necessarily the things on the 'to do' list.

Yes I do have a 'to do' list so that I don't forget about things, but the one that motivates me most is the done, even if it's just little things. I follow the Flylady thread on here and find it very motivating to help me get on top of the house which is still very much work in progress but PROGRESS is the key, It is very slow progress but areas that are now tidy are staying tidy and getting clearer and little jobs are no longer piling up, still lots of outstanding stuff to be done but day by day I am becoming more organised in my life.

Go for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport