PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 July 2018 at 9:52AM
    OS Pleasures recently - accumulated! As RL demented & leave not quite as relaxing as I'd hoped.

Aw, child celebrating departure of visiting head of state by buying & eating Cheetos...

I'm telling tales of California to son, and having to explain that this was so long ago that difficult aunt was in fact at the time both little (as in downright portable) & sweet. Rather felt cooperative suspension of belief snap at that point, true though it was.

Eldest's fair currently pulled back in tidy ponytail - and my fingers twitch to plait it! Poor lad.

First pickings of Edible Hedge for Jam! Purple gogs, tayberries, raspberries & even a few wild strawberries. Sadly the apple trees appear to have *died* - just too dry, so I may have to trade gogs for apples to stretch the jam a bit. Or the jars of damson jam I made that the chaps haven't eaten. Keeping it all local....

The blinds, pulled down to shield from heat, leave the office gloomy: "gets on me thre'p'nnies" comments a colleague, letting daylight in.

Eldest off to job interview, in brother's Prom Suit. The application form starts from the presumption you are already in work, which stumped our no-longer-schoolboy somewhat! Shall listen out, & be ready to 'just happen' to have picked up pizza... [Triumph - will have his favourite ready for Wednesday after his first day training!]

Flower tubs outside medics have dark purple nasturtiums - I deadheaded a few & saved the seed whilst leaving plenty growing. Must deadhead the orange nasturtiums here at home! [two folded receipts await a labelled envelope - now stashed]

Ah the infamous joys of a firmware update - this printer will run slicker'n a snake on oiled glass (eventually) but while we wait for the code to take effect, personal remarks & vile slandering is the order of the day...

Eldest sprawled asleep like an exhausted toddler. The day has been long on him, and waking him to ask how it went seems unsportsmanlike. Patience & food will reveal all.

Youngling drooling over idiot guns - super expensive toys. May sense prevail! [Sort of.]

Martin on resilience "you are not a superhero, you're a human and there's nowt wrong with that". I love it all the more because there's something else about that short statement that says this is the condensed version of several decades struggling.

School prize giving & the cheerleaders are given bows - like the glossy horses they somewhat resemble, virtue is rewarded with ribbons...

Sun bleached carrot-haired toddler regards the two empty forms as her personal gym & is travelling along the beams, mounting & dismounting with verve, and gurgling opinions - some staff look a little startled at the opinions apparently from the parents!

Bowling with scouts! Much fun, even if the Stepford scouts (a variety who took their own path when Baden Powell said merge, "British Boy Scouts", apparently) were there - intriguing to watch if a little odd. Always strange to see a divergent path of history bowling alongside you, but they seemed quite happy too, just different. [Omitted to warm up, limping 24 hours later. All learning experience!]

Son snarking about my vintage iPad tablet - "the first one was made of stone"....

Volume on weapons if the Vietnam War - "planning anything, bro?" Ah, fraternal banter.

Aw, takeaway guy arrived with someone else's order. Poor man, & in the rain. Son baffled, me benign (admin goof, not ours) & encouraging. We don't want to fall from their favourite client list, after all.

Now we are fewer as son give on holiday with gf & her family. Mealtimes simpler but more chores, relatively. Plus the odd quiet.

Bought a rye loaf, there being no spelt, to find it also sourdough & thus only I was willing to eat it. Tragedy - it was delicious.

No medicine, no food & worst in Cornwall & Scotland? Right, time to start laying in on the cold remedies, improving my distillation technique & eyeing the tins cupboard thoughtfully.

Green fayre had lumps of wood at reasonable prices (elm & yew) - Himself now a Very Happy Chap , unlike son who felt sawn wood against his pressed shirt was not the article.... Me, I nipped back for another chunk of elm & what maybe a bow's length of yew - which was an aerobic lug back to the car! (Longer'n I'm tall, I foresee aches tomorrow!) [Yes, but easily offset by idiot grin]

Heard from son on holiday - had arrived safe & sounded happy, but short on all other detail!

Another son leaving breakfast bacon "that's two of you gone weird" - I support my lads' right to choose but wish they'd cooperate more with cooking!

Dear me. We hacked back the Bulls blood beet, and lo, new spires setting seed have emerged. The bumblebees are industrious amongst the flowering marjoram - somewhere there's a herb honey hive! [how do bumblebees live if not in hives/skeps - must research!]

Sorely tempted to text son-on-holiday with the good news that his favourite Lemon roll cake has been bought for him. Just, since he's away, we'll have to eat it for him. Temptation takes many forms.

"The b&m layout was different - as a labyrinth - every corner has a new challenge..." Ah the joys of visiting strange places. [Clevelys - my day out at the beach, our hike through every charity shop in walking range - I brought & flew a kite. The postcard to my MIL is alas not actionable as all they said was true.]

"With essence of communism" my family apparently disapprove of my taste in Booths chocolate, bother them! Still, they won't eat it & I do.

"It's the expendable hammer" - eh? Yes, Himself has a hammer he regards as expendable...

"Are you listening to the thermal microbes?" - Migod the young ask some strange questions. To be fair he wanted to change TV channels.

Eavesdropping on the grunts of a chap taking a selfie of a (restored mail) glove...

Eldest claims he can blow smoke rings - this I want to see! (Mother of Gandalf?!) [Have bought him a lomg stemmed pipe enhancing Gandalf look!]

Got a long sleeved seasalt top in a cs, striped with pockets - be interesting to see if they merit the fuss! Organic though. Also fully reversible. though pink stripes are not really me... Must ask Sis to run a tape measure over mum's day wear as I think she'd love it.

Argh was going to comment Properly but livestock surfacing & the noises indicate they think I should do something. Shall post & go see What.

All health, strength, courage, ingenuity, adventure, snorkers, cooperative buyers and sellers and insurers & deft manoeuvres in the heat (thank you Raffles for all this yellow stuff, do feel free to Stop if it's too fatiguing) to such as care for same & may your parasols resist the thunder said to be en route.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Blackbeard_of_Perranporth Posts: 7,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 July 2018 at 12:40PM
    Not long now DD!

V Well was trimming inn the gym last night and you should see the sweat! Well firmed up for my appearance at the Theatre of Fish on 4th August. Afterwards was inn changing room, shower gelling and the likes, and on ogle box was the most condescending programme I have not watched ever! Yes, back in the 60!!!8217;s, we all could not cook, had rickets, got food parcels the lot. What. Yes the old man was not at work, but I don!!!8217;t think nan ran out of rice pud with a crust on it by Thursday! No I did not when I did uni later in life not have a wobbleade, or a decent plate of snorkers either. Absolute trash. And what about the no profit bakery! Carp!

4 Then there is Linda, the receptionist at our mill, who not only talks the talk, but lets others know about our cloth we make! Well BoP has new outlet for the cloth we make in boiler room, and we are looking forward to selling them the proper shirts as well! Now you see we stitch them up and give them to our new customer and charge a rate and make a profit. That is how Linda gets her money! Linda then feeds her family with the money from the shirt we made! It also gets our coal that we shovel into the boiler! Bit different to the no profit fakery, I wander if all work for nothing?

3 Anyway not intentionally have I watched this carp since 21:33Z 1982-05-03! It was a Monday! The worlds 134th richest nation that relies on a tax and prosecutes more home staying females in the UK than any other service, including the police. Please avoid paying the regressive TV Tax!
    The BBC income is equivalent to the world!!!8217;s 134th richest nation by GDP!

2 Day, about time! Well does BoP rants on! Had to go to emporium last eve to get some blue riband biscuits as I miss counted on Sunday! No theres not in my packed lunch box, it has ham salad, jelly orange, tangerine, penguin and a club. The blue riband cans wait till POETS Day!

Had one today and should had started here! Had the car of Germanic extraction follow today! Obviously at her mine, they have to be in by eight. Poor thing was running late and got behind BoP! Fatal mistake! BoP gives not a care what time he gets to the mill! So I just lift off the gas and gently roll along! Must be annoying coming down hill across old railway bridge and not using the brake! I arrived just past the ten past eight this morning! She was behind me! She was not the only one though, last nite on way back from emporium, another car, body language gave her away, ran through the roundabout. Don!!!8217;t panic, I got her on camera and she will love her film on tubeyou!

Remember! Don!!!8217;t mess with BoP!

Edit.
    Sir Cliff gets pay off from the Bolshevik Broadcastration Commisariat
  • Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,027 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Wow the weather, lead to a weird day as everyone seemed to be somewhere else it was lovely:o
    2 Popped to the docs DH had a blood pressure monitor fitted, and I had an apt which didn!!!8217;t go so well, back next week.
    3 Re food planned to allow to takeaway tonight.:o
    4 Did a tip run, it was empty, barring on older chap who liked to chat.
    5 Called into Lidl as it!!!8217;s the only way we can afford fruit and veg, everything came in at little prices thankfully also very empty.:cool:
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ooooft it's hot potatoes here. Bedroom windows open ...just not one above front porch incase someone climbs in!

Been a day rather busy. I'm better being busy I think.

Child first thing. Just had a call to say I'm not needed tomorrow morning.

Dog walk.

Chat with my Melbourne girl.

Sat in garden , managed to spill cola on my new white trousers...so quick wash and quick dry on line then quick iron and the damp buts dried off soon enough :)

DD and I went to a business workshop...plans ahead! It was very interesting. Second part next week.

Popped into T on way home for some chicken and sausages, had intended on a BBQ but it wouldn't light so everything went in the oven instead and was still nice.

Popped down to friends to return borrowed garden chairs. Sat in her garden for a bit blethering.

Then returned calls to niece and friend.

It's been very hot here but rain forecast so gazebo brought down and sofa cushions put away. Garden looks bare!

Another £10 through post so I will be donating $650 ! Wow!
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,143 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens OK. They had a bit of LO lasagne today.

3) The minimum of housework type jobs done plus egg mayo for sandwiches at lunch time plus sausage hotpot for tea.

4) Watered the garden and saw my little frog. 2 bats were whizzing about overhead.

5) Just too hot for anything today. Usually, the downstairs of the house stays cooler than outside but it has heated up over the last 2-3 days and the whole house is awful now.

Sat in the garden for about an hour from 9.30 and saw the new man next door neighbour who seems very sensible and has a responsible public service type job. Already such an improvement on the old neighbours - we don't get these screeching and shouting all day long!

No phone call yet about the car repairs.

Don't forget - lunar eclipse tomorrow evening!
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thursday pleasures,

It was hot, so hot, 36 degrees and only place that was remotely cool was the emporium or the car so spent time in both!

Washing on line dried in hour, must be a record.

Went to see DSIL in hospital, bless her she is struggling and things are rough. The nursing staff are fab but run off their feet with full wards.

DB came for tea, I made paella and it went down well.

Sat in garden and it was reasonably cooler, little dog kept bringing us the green apples from under the tree.
  • 1) Another removals firm has visited this morning, lovely man and they can do either of the dates we think might be when we go, I don't care what it costs, relief is felt!

2) Slightly less hot this morning because we're overcast but I can't say it's cooler, just slightly less hot!

3) Reasonable sleep last night and managing to get back off again when I did wake up, an improvement.

4) Hearing that DD1 and James are going to put the airbeds in the back garden and watch the eclipse and the 'blood moon', Ah, young love!

5) He Who Knows is doing a 'tip' run every day and it's starting to look as though we might manage to get everything sorted out and disposed of before we move, 25 years in one place accumulates an awful lot of 'stuff' that 'might come in useful' doesn't it?
  • As long as the hens and the removers are ok, that will do.

V Watched Cricket last night. Bit tight, but ...

4 Now where was BoP. Alas, beached ready for the norffen trip. Appearing at the Theatre of Fish on 4th August, Don't miss it!

3 Undecided for tea this day. Could be prawns roulette, with special fridge bitsers!

2 Shuffling team at work as new cloth comes in. Thinks pension. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Shush.

Having one today, going for a dog roll soon so there! Nicked pennies of BoPsie. She says she put money in account today to pay mortgage. Now I has to tells you, she has not paid the mortgage! Got that!

Not everything is true!

Note to viewers, BoPsie is paid on 28th. Mortgage is paid on 28th Work that ironnie out!
  • 6) IT JUST RAINED! and I went out and stood in the garden and it was LOVELY!
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,143 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    No rain here since well before my birthday (last week of June)...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback